By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - iSuppli: Sony not loosing too much money with the PS3 these days

NIce to know.

When first released, every PlayStation 3 lost Sony about $200. Then, they figured out how to cut costs and broke even for a while. Now, with the cheaper PS3 Slim, they're back to losing money, albeit a lot less money.

iSuppli's latest PS3 teardown finds Sony losing a mere $31.27 less than its manufacturing costs. Of course, these figures don't take into account software development, marketing or any of these other not-insignificant costs that go into putting the PS3 on store shelves.

http://gizmodo.com/5424423/the-playstation-3-inches-back-towards-not-losing-sony-money

Around the Network

this probably why they waited to get the slim ready.
2 years period they would be another small update or price cut if they can.

They probably aren't selling them to retailers at $300 a pop.  So that price they are displaying is not really correct.

so $3,200,000 for every 100k consoles sold?

or is my math wrong?

Seece said:
so $3,200,000 for every 100k consoles sold?

or is my math wrong?

Nope that is correct.   Not to bad considering once you throw in a couple games that number basically disappears, especially if they are 1st party games

Around the Network

RSX's 45nm revision should make the PS3 profitable at the current price tag. After all, the RSX is more expensive to produce and needs more power than the CBE.

Uh.....so according to that chart they were making money for the ~1.5 years before the price cut?  Doesn't seem right that costs were at $400 in January '08, yet have only fallen $64 with the slim.

What about the fact that > half are sold in Europe each week where we pay €300/$438?

Also I don't mean BF week.

Isupply prices each component separately. Since most companies buy equipment in bulk and get volume discounts, we cant gague what the true price of a ps3 is.

JaggedSac said:

They probably aren't selling them to retailers at $300 a pop.  So that price they are displaying is not really correct.

Most retailers may at most $4 or $5 off of hardware.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.