By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - November NPD = VGChartz Adjustments and 360 outselling PS3 in Americas?!

Based on NPD, November 360 sales in JUST the US alone (not full Americas) was 14k higher than the VGChartz estimate.  Very close estimation, ioi, I applaud you.   What this does show, however, is that some adjustments of maybe ~25k+ should be made to the 360 number and likewise a decent chunk removed from the PS3 number (or maybe PS3 is spot on and 360 is just undertracked more than I thought?).  Xbox 360 still wins November over the PS3 even with Black Friday sales?

November 2009 Hardware Sales

• Nintendo DS -- 1,700,000
  • Wii -- 1,260,000
  • Xbox 360 -- 819,500
  • PlayStation 3 -- 710,400
  • PlayStation Portable -- 293,900
  • PlayStation 2 -- 203,100

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 01st Nov 2009 to 28th Nov 2009:

Console PS3 X360
America

Around the Network

Weird, when it's the other way around, I suddenly hear Xbox 360 fans standing by the numbers, stating that NPD could be wrong as well :)

OP, you are assuming NPD is completely accurate and VGC needs to change in line with that. What if VGC is closer to the true value than NPD on the things you are saying?

papflesje said:
Weird, when it's the other way around, I suddenly hear Xbox 360 fans standing by the numbers, stating that NPD could be wrong as well :)

Not me.  I tend to always give NPD more reliability in the numbers, regardless of who they are for. :)

I was just shocked to see this today.  From everything I'd seen before, I assumed the PS3 would be quite a bit higher in the US this month, but I guess somehow it wasn't?  Maybe NPD is wrong... either that or the PS3 did awful in all BUT Black Friday?

@Soleron
I tend to give NPD the benefit of the doubt given their size and ability to track/estimate more retailers.  If they make mistakes or errors that come to light, then again more adjustments for either party.  For now I will assume that NPD has a higher % accuracy though.

I wouldn't be too surprised if VGC overtracked PS3 sales, since PS3 didn't really have strong software releases this year as opposed to the Xbox 360. But BF bundles really helped the PS3.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

Maybe.

AFAIK we didn't adjust to last months NPD.

Carl2291 said:
Maybe.

AFAIK we didn't adjust to last months NPD.

What was the discrepancy in last months (if any)?  I must have missed it.

I cant remember, but in the NPD thread people were saying there was no adjustment last month.

No idea how different the numbers were.

PS3 numbers are spot on if we include canada

Xbox 360 is under tracked, it needs to be adjusted up

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

it's also worth noting that NPD doesn't track Wal-Mart sales. which I assume greatly boosted 360 sales with the 100$ gift card.