By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Falcon Disected: Actually does reduce the heat, and voltage significantly

mrstickball said:
...And exactly how cold does a Xbox 360 need to be to be cool enough!?

To me, a 10* reduction is great. Not perfect, but definately a great step in the right direction.

It's an improvement but more needs to be done. BTW, I'm not faulting MS for the heat, it's a common problem in Power6-based computers. IBM just didn't do a good job of keeping power consumption reasonable with that architecture.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
takkxyz said:
IllegalPaladin said:
That's one step closer to me being interested in it. That's good news if it becomes more reliable, now it just needs some amazing price drops. I'd rather spend $400 on a high end 8800 video card since many 360 games will also be or already are on the PC as well.

Off-Topic: Right now you can get a $250 8800 card (that uses the 65nm processing) that does as well as the $400 8800 with less electricity/power used.

Hmm, thanks for the tip.

--

Back on topic, I would like to see if this really helps. I tell you what, the top and bottom of my room mates 360 as well as the power power brick are smoking hot once we finish getting all the shots for the Halo 2 machinima we're making (or just through regular use). I worry for his 360 sometimes. 

I hope they do a full console redesign. I'd like to get one soon, but I still don't like the noise and I still think it's ugly. The casing also is a horrible shape and it's part of what has contributed to the overheating.  Glad to hear that RROD shouldn't happen though.

NJ5 said:
Your conversion is wrong.

120º F = 49º C
110º F = 43º C

(approximately)

Thanks! You're right! I put 7 instead of a 9.

But then,  I find ridiculous that 49°C could melt the solderings. That is impossible, soldering needs much higher temperatures!!

Question is, where did those people took the temperature??? Outside the case?? 

If they didn't change the GPU and it's clamps at all (and I don't think they have) then it is likely that the rrod problem will still exist. The motherboard warps with the heat, popping off the soldered pins on the gpu.

Once we have evidence that MS has done something to re-design the gpu, then I might consider buying one, but not now.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
mrstickball said:
...And exactly how cold does a Xbox 360 need to be to be cool enough!?

To me, a 10* reduction is great. Not perfect, but definitely a great step in the right direction.

It's an improvement but more needs to be done. BTW, I'm not faulting MS for the heat, it's a common problem in Power6-based computers. IBM just didn't do a good job of keeping power consumption reasonable with that architecture.

It's interesting that you are blaming IBM for their Power line of CPUs when:

1. All three 'new' generation systems use some version of the PowerPC architecture for their CPU.

2. It's the GPU in the 360 that recently got an extra heat sink.  It's made by ATI, not IBM.  (The Wii also has an ATI graphics chip.)

3. It's the CPU that was recently shrunk down to 65nm in the 360.  The GPU is the same old, hot chip it always has been.

Hmmm...

The Wii only needs about 18W.  And the original PS3 doesn't have any heating problems and actually uses a bit more electricity than the old 360s.  I'd place the blame squarely on MS and whoever else put all the components together.  If the CPUs actually failed, then you could blame IBM.  But this appears to be a design fault.  They put two hot chips right next to each other and didn't provide an adequate cooling system.  And now MS is paying the price for their error.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Well, finally some good news. Hopefully whoever was responsible for the whole RRoD debacle at Microsoft has been put out to pasture. The 360 is a wonderful console with some terrific games, and it's just a damn shame Microsoft treated such a fine platform with such penny-pinching shabbiness and greed-head disrespect. Hopefully the DVD scratching and noise issues have also been dealt with, and the 360 can finally begin to shine.

Falcon....PUNCH!!!

(the title reminds me of this)