By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Falcon Disected: Actually does reduce the heat, and voltage significantly

NJ5 said:
Diomedes1976 said:
110 its still a lot .This will reduce the RROD incidencies but wont solve them all .

So you're not just a sales expert, but also a hardware expert?

Either show us some expert's defense of that claim, or stop trying to look like one.

The original author implied the RRODs on these new systems would be unlikely.  That claim is equally without any facts to back it up.

I would wait for a few months before drawing ANY conclusions on how much these new hardware changes affected hardware failure rates.

Around the Network

That's one step closer to me being interested in it. That's good news if it becomes more reliable, now it just needs some amazing price drops. I'd rather spend $400 on a high end 8800 video card since many 360 games will also be or already are on the PC as well.

IllegalPaladin said:
That's one step closer to me being interested in it. That's good news if it becomes more reliable, now it just needs some amazing price drops. I'd rather spend $400 on a high end 8800 video card since many 360 games will also be or already are on the PC as well.

Off-Topic: Right now you can get a $250 8800 card (that uses the 65nm processing) that does as well as the $400 8800 with less electricity/power used.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Mmmh, my 2 cents OK?

I transformed the farenheit to Celsius (as I'm european and we don't use that temp scale) this way, which I believe is the correct one: °C = [(°F - 32)x5]/7

here are the results: 120° F= ~ 63 °C
110° F= ~ 56 °C

Consider, also, this: I have an old Xbox1 that was modified to be used as Media Center. When I boot it up it shows me both the MB temp and the CPU temp.

The highest one is also the most critical one, and AFAIK the CPU (even in the mid of summer) never went over 56-57 °C, while the MB temp never went over 43 °C
(92.2 °F), like 7°C over the room temperature.

That Xbox never had any problem and is now 3 years old.

OK here is what I think: for every kind of material on this earth there are a critical temperatures and if those are surpassed, there are a change in molecular states. Those changes happens in a REAL SMALL RANGE of temperature.
Take water for example: if it stays well below zero, no problem, it stays in solid state (ice), but even if you put it like near 1°C (33°F) it will very slowly melt.

So if the problem for the Xbox 360 was that the temperature melted the soldering of the GPU because it reached a temperature that was slightly critical, in few hours of gameplay the disaster happens.
As I noticed, keeping the console on the side and having room around the heat fans prevents overheating, but I'm unsure if it's enough.

So even if you think that 10°F are not much, it could be well more than needed to keep the disaster (Red rings of death) at bay.

Let's hope they didn't use cheap soldering material and they put a good heatsink to evacuate the hot air that is produced by the components.

Your conversion is wrong.

120º F = 49º C
110º F = 43º C

(approximately)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Nice. This help reduce their RRoD problems. I hope they factor this into the design of their next console.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

if this falcon 360 actually works then all i need is a sub-$300 price and i'll be itching to buy

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

This just shows how bloody hot IBMs Power6 architecture runs. Apple had to go with liquid cooling on their G5s just to stop them from sounding like a jet engine (and that was with their innovative fan system on those units).

IIRC, 110 degrees is still P4 territory. That's not a good thing.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

...And exactly how cold does a Xbox 360 need to be to be cool enough!?

To me, a 10* reduction is great. Not perfect, but definately a great step in the right direction.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

maybe when i get one i'll just put it in a plastic bag and then pack bags of ice around it whenver i play. brilliant!

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy