By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - FFCC: The Crystal Bearers may have a ~30k NA debut. Bomb?

if 30 first week is not a bomb i dont know whats a bomb then

Around the Network
jarrod said:
sc94597 said:
jarrod said:
sc94597 said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:

it deserve to sell more, but demographic isn't supporting it

Yes, the Wii audience is finally sick of shitty spinoffs and "tests".  Bring the real thing (like MoHun, Tales or Musou did) or don't bother.

More like a niche group that knows nothing about the games is talking out of their asses. I WANTED this game for years now. It isn't a spinoff, and it has a larger budget than probably all of the previous games comibined. I guess some people just want them to port a downgraded version of FFXIII though....

Oh, I think CCCB looks infinitely more interesting than FFXIII.  And as an ARPG nut, I'm pretty sure I'll like it more.  But c'mon, it's a spinoff of a spinoff, it's not actually an RPG, it was launching less than a month ahead of FFXIII and even it's producer was saying it was gonna flop... the writing was on the wall for this one.  It's too bad, but no one should be surprised.

And make no mistake, MH3's budget likely dwarfed it by orders of magnitude.

Firstly, I wouldn't consider it a Spinoff because it isn't a side-story.

Secondly, if somebody did consider it a spinoff, it has always have been. I don't see why they are complaining now when the series -- since it's premier -- has been a spinoff in their book. Nothing has changed other than a "LARGER" budget. Even then, I consider it a series of its own with the Final Fantasy name to back it up.

It's a spinoff of a spinoff.  The FFCC games were multiplayer Action RPGs, this is a sandbox adventure game.

You need to go look up the definition of a spinoff again. Changing gameplay or genre doesn't make it a spinoff. Please go learn the definition of a spinoff though because obviously you do not know what it refers to. I'm not going to explain it again either.

It will be a bomb, like any other 3rd party title.

Now believe in the next HD console. I hope someday Nintendo will be able to manage the problem because it's getting more and more frustrating for us gamers that love Nintendo.

sc94597 said:
jarrod said:
sc94597 said:
jarrod said:
sc94597 said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:

Yes, the Wii audience is finally sick of shitty spinoffs and "tests".  Bring the real thing (like MoHun, Tales or Musou did) or don't bother.

More like a niche group that knows nothing about the games is talking out of their asses. I WANTED this game for years now. It isn't a spinoff, and it has a larger budget than probably all of the previous games comibined. I guess some people just want them to port a downgraded version of FFXIII though....

Oh, I think CCCB looks infinitely more interesting than FFXIII.  And as an ARPG nut, I'm pretty sure I'll like it more.  But c'mon, it's a spinoff of a spinoff, it's not actually an RPG, it was launching less than a month ahead of FFXIII and even it's producer was saying it was gonna flop... the writing was on the wall for this one.  It's too bad, but no one should be surprised.

Secondly, if somebody did consider it a spinoff, it has always have been. I don't see why they are complaining now when the series -- since it's premier -- has been a spinoff in their book. Nothing has changed other than a "LARGER" budget. Even then, I consider it a series of its own with the Final Fantasy name to back it up.

It's a spinoff of a spinoff.  The FFCC games were multiplayer Action RPGs, this is a sandbox adventure game.

You need to go look up the definition of a spinoff again. Changing gameplay or genre doesn't make it a spinoff. Please go learn the definition of a spinoff though because obviously you do not know what it refers to. I'm not going to explain it again either.

A canonical storyline doesn't make it a sequel either.  Look at FFX-2, FFTA, Crisis Core, Revenant Wings, etc. Are those viewed as spinoffs?

Besides, public views this as a spinoff of a spinoff.  And in the end, that's what ultimately matters...

jarrod said:
sc94597 said:
jarrod said:
sc94597 said:
jarrod said:
sc94597 said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:

A canonical storyline doesn't make it a sequel either.  Look at FFX-2, FFTA, Crisis Core, Revenant Wings, etc. Are those viewed as spinoffs?

Besides, public views this as a spinoff of a spinoff.  And in the end, that's what ultimately matters...

Most of those games are spinoffs because they don't expand on the story of the main game instead they either enhance or are unrelated. To be honest, the Final Fantasy series isn't in actuality a series. It is more of a collection of standalone games with a similarly large budget and values. The same thing could be said for the Crystal Chronicles series, though in the Crystal Chronicle series they all take place in the same universe at different times. Still most of the games are irrelevant to eachother, and in that sense they aren't a series rather a franchise. Now what really should be noted is that some people, incorrectly, categorize a game as a "spinoff" based off of its budget. In that matter Crystal Bearers is much less a spinoff than the other games due to it having an obvious larger budget. So I really can't see the basis where somebody would say that Crystal Bearers is a Crystal Chronicle spinoff rather than another title in the franchise. I could somewhat relate toe the Crystal Chronicles series being a spinoff of the Final Fantasy main title, but even that is out there. As for it being generally accepted as true, well that doesn't mean it is the truth. Just because a lot of people say it is, that doesn't make the case. Never did I hear the developers of the game say that Crystal Bearers was meant to be a spinoff, and in that manner they are the only ones who can decide whether it is or not since they are making the game.

Around the Network
pariz said:
I may be wrong and you may point it out as soon as I post this, but I am guessing this game will do better than Tales of Graces.

Anyway, with those two and Monster Hunter Tri, I can hardly wait for 2010.

I will go out and kill children if Tales of Graces sells like shit in NA, the game is fucking awesome as hell.

Crystal Chronicles is basically a subseries at this point, like Seiken Densetsu / Mana originally (which also started out as a FF spinoff btw). I'd agree that there doesn't seem to be any real direction for it though, it started as a 4 player dungeon crawler, it's gotten 2 similar (but more platformy) handheld entires, a city building sim, a tower defense game and now this sandbox Zelda-alike.

That may be part of the problem though, no real series identity for CC. I still feel Crystal Bearers would've done dramatically better had it been a literal "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles II" multiplayer dungeon hack.

Chrizum said:
I still think this game is a mini-game compilation. Some people say I'm wrong, but that's not important right now.

The fact that I think the game is a mini-game compilation shows SE is screwing this one up big time.

I loved Crystal Chronicles on the GameCube, but this game looks so damn werid, and SE is doing nothing to really show why I should buy it.

has a lot of mini games yes, but not a compilation of it, fortunately.

dahuman said:
Chrizum said:
I still think this game is a mini-game compilation. Some people say I'm wrong, but that's not important right now.

The fact that I think the game is a mini-game compilation shows SE is screwing this one up big time.

I loved Crystal Chronicles on the GameCube, but this game looks so damn werid, and SE is doing nothing to really show why I should buy it.

Oh yes, I forgot you had the game. How is it?

sc94597 said:
dahuman said:
Chrizum said:

Oh yes, I forgot you had the game. How is it?

Graphically impressive on Wii, don't like the camera controls, otherwise plays fine, not a bad game but with the way the graphics look, I wish they would have made it a turn based classic final fantasy game instead with decent polish because I really like how the game looks, it's nowhere near as bad as some people are thinking it'd be though. The good part is the interaction with the open world enemies and objects and the fact that all the ingame cut scenes are rendered in real time instead of FMVs, the bad part, well, camera controls, it's the same MadWorld problem, but at least you can center it like Madworld, but when you do, the angle defaults to a really strange position and it obstructs your frontal view which is a little annoying, why Nintendo didn't add an analog stick somewhere on the Wiimote? beyond me.