By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Zucas said:

Unfortunately that isn't a very strong argument because just because we are made up of water doesn't mean life necessarily requires it. Hell life might be something we haven't even thought of or something we may not even consider "life" at first glance.

Life doesn't necessary require water, but water is the 'universal solvent' and since life requires chemical reactions water would be the best possible solvent for those reactions.

Around the Network
gurglesletch said:
ManusJustus said:
gurglesletch said:
How exactly does that prove life? I don't consider a bacteria life because it isint sentient.

Well, almost everybody else considers bacteria life.

The scientific definition of life is something made up of a cell, meaning that viruses aren't considered life, but there is the argument to expand that definition to something along the lines of molecules that are capable of self-replication.  If there is life on Mars (and thats a big IF), then it probably wouldn't resemble Earth Life (unless it was transported from one planet to another).

And bacteria are sentient in the simplest defintion of the word, they react to stimulus (which is another requirement for the scientific defintion of life).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life#Biology

I have taken Biology and while most people consider them life i don't. They don't even have a brain so they can't think.

Why do you think life has to be sentient?  Do you consider a tree or grass life?

I think what you consider 'life' should really be considered 'complex life.'  There are bacteria reacting to their environment, reproducing, metabolizing, and so forth and not to consider them life is a bit of a stretch.  Bacteria is just like every cell in your body, you just have more of them.

gurglesletch said:
ManusJustus said:
gurglesletch said:
How exactly does that prove life? I don't consider a bacteria life because it isint sentient.

The scientific definition of life is something made up of a cell, meaning that viruses aren't considered life, but there is the argument to expand that definition to something along the lines of molecules that are capable of self-replication.  If there is life on Mars (and thats a big IF), then it probably wouldn't resemble Earth Life (unless it was transported from one planet to another).

And bacteria are sentient in the simplest defintion of the word, they react to stimulus (which is another requirement for the scientific defintion of life).

I have taken Biology and while most people consider them life i don't. They don't even have a brain so they can't think.

So by your definition nearly all plant's, fungi, echinoderms and micro organisms aren't life because they don't have a brain or aren't sentient? I'm sorry but you've just discounted the vast majority of all life on Earth just by that definition.

ManusJustus was bang on with the definition he gave.

gurglesletch said:

a bacteria has all the characteristics of a living being.

I would say that life on the Venus is more likely. First it sounds redicolous. But in the upper atmosphere of the Venus is it between 20-60° Celsius warm. And the pressure is the same it is on the earth. Infact the upper venus atmosphere is the place in the solar system which is the most simlar to earth. The gravitation is 0.9g even we could live there without a pressure suit. And there is hydrogen and there is UV Light and there is sulfur. And we have bakteria on the earth which can live in sulfuric acid and eat sulfur. Still sounds like a redicolous claim ? Ok in the Venus Atmosphere is a certain gas which shouldnt be there and another gas is missing which should be there. We dont know a non biological process which could be the cause of this phenomenon. And in the Atmosphehre is definetly a process which produces certain sulfuric isotopes and we dont know why. And in the atmosphere is something which absorbs UV Light. We cant explain that either. They have messured the UV radiation of the Venus atmosphere. It should normally reflect all the UV light back in to kosmos. But this is just not happening and we have vast areas which are a lot darker as they should be.

The Sun was smaller and emitted 30% lesser light and energy. 3-4 Billion years ago. The Venus was perfect as perfect as the earth back then. That the venus rotates so slowly could be caused through a hit with a giant asteroid. And a magnetosphere is not necessary it protects live but without a magnetosphere there is faster evolution. The physics speculate that there was even oceans just 600 Million years ago. Because that would explain that Venus is still losing hydrogen to the solar system. If the Venus would have been always as hot as it is today (500°) then the hydrogen would be gone long time ago.

And the best thing is that during the observations of the Venus there was a green glow similar to polar light on earth. But there is one problem polar lights only can exist if there is a little oxygen. But oxygen reacts easily with carbon that so it has to be produced continously through bakteria our earth (ofocurse there are some other cases which can cause oxygen but not enough or not with such low temperatures. The earth had no oxygen too some billion years ago we can live because the bacteria produced it for us.

through panspermie the life could have went from venus to earth (they are extremly close) and even to mars. There was even a time when all 3 planets had oceans the mars had flowing water not long time ago. We are just to late if we could have discovered the solar system 1 billion years ago we could have found a mars with a thick atmosphere and oceans and a venus with oceans.

So why does noone starts spaceships to venus so we could discover the bacteria. Venus is not far away. But the problem is how should we measure the bacteria in the atmosphere if we dont know how the biology is ? It has to happen quick and there is simply no technology available which could take the bacteria onto the ground on venus cool them down and start again from the venus to earth because the venus has almost the same gravity as the earth and we know how much fuel we need to go from earth to space. So its practically impossible (today) to prove that in the atmosphere of Venus is life.

Mars had flowing wather some million years ago so there was probably life and it could be even today life in the craters Nasa found signs of flowing water which are just 10000 years old. Thats a surprise. And the mars rock which was found on earth has fossiliated bacteria but we dont know if they came from mars (which is likely). Or from the earth.

I believe that there was once life even if the life was just created on earth but through hits from asteroids can bacteria travel through the space inside the rocks to other planets which is an accepted theorie in the science (panspermie).

Around the Network

Why don't you people understand that that is my opinion. Also i don't care what you think so you should just stop quoting my posts.

gurglesletch said:
Why don't you people understand that that is my opinion. Also i don't care what you think so you should just stop quoting my posts.

I don't know any simpler way than telling you that opinions can actually be wrong so lets just throw out some examples:

1. I like hamburgers-- opinion.
  2. The Earth isn't flat-- fact.
  3. I believe the Earth is flat-- opinion, but wrong.
  4. I believe bacteria isn't life-- opinion, but also wrong.

-edit-

lol-- "I have taken biology!"

Thanks, that gave me nice laugh.  It's nice to know anyone with a 6th grade public school education is counted as a scholar now.

ManusJustus said:
gurglesletch said:
ManusJustus said:
gurglesletch said:

Why do you think life has to be sentient?  Do you consider a tree or grass life?

But trees and grass are sentient, or have you not seen The Happening?

Netyaroze said:

I would say that life on the Venus is more likely. First it sounds redicolous. But in the upper atmosphere of the Venus is it between 20-60° Celsius warm. And the pressure is the same it is on the earth. Infact the upper venus atmosphere is the place in the solar system which is the most simlar to earth. The gravitation is 0.9g even we could live there without a pressure suit. And there is hydrogen and there is UV Light and there is sulfur. And we have bakteria on the earth which can live in sulfuric acid and eat sulfur. Still sounds like a redicolous claim ? Ok in the Venus Atmosphere is a certain gas which shouldnt be there and another gas is missing which should be there. We dont know a non biological process which could be the cause of this phenomenon. And in the Atmosphehre is definetly a process which produces certain sulfuric isotopes and we dont know why. And in the atmosphere is something which absorbs UV Light. We cant explain that either. They have messured the UV radiation of the Venus atmosphere. It should normally reflect all the UV light back in to kosmos. But this is just not happening and we have vast areas which are a lot darker as they should be.

The Sun was smaller and emitted 30% lesser light and energy. 3-4 Billion years ago. The Venus was perfect as perfect as the earth back then. That the venus rotates so slowly could be caused through a hit with a giant asteroid. And a magnetosphere is not necessary it protects live but without a magnetosphere there is faster evolution. The physics speculate that there was even oceans just 600 Million years ago. Because that would explain that Venus is still losing hydrogen to the solar system. If the Venus would have been always as hot as it is today (500°) then the hydrogen would be gone long time ago.

And the best thing is that during the observations of the Venus there was a green glow similar to polar light on earth. But there is one problem polar lights only can exist if there is a little oxygen. But oxygen reacts easily with carbon that so it has to be produced continously through bakteria our earth (ofocurse there are some other cases which can cause oxygen but not enough or not with such low temperatures. The earth had no oxygen too some billion years ago we can live because the bacteria produced it for us.

through panspermie the life could have went from venus to earth (they are extremly close) and even to mars. There was even a time when all 3 planets had oceans the mars had flowing water not long time ago. We are just to late if we could have discovered the solar system 1 billion years ago we could have found a mars with a thick atmosphere and oceans and a venus with oceans.

So why does noone starts spaceships to venus so we could discover the bacteria. Venus is not far away. But the problem is how should we measure the bacteria in the atmosphere if we dont know how the biology is ? It has to happen quick and there is simply no technology available which could take the bacteria onto the ground on venus cool them down and start again from the venus to earth because the venus has almost the same gravity as the earth and we know how much fuel we need to go from earth to space. So its practically impossible (today) to prove that in the atmosphere of Venus is life.

Mars had flowing wather some million years ago so there was probably life and it could be even today life in the craters Nasa found signs of flowing water which are just 10000 years old. Thats a surprise. And the mars rock which was found on earth has fossiliated bacteria but we dont know if they came from mars (which is likely). Or from the earth.

I believe that there was once life even if the life was just created on earth but through hits from asteroids can bacteria travel through the space inside the rocks to other planets which is an accepted theorie in the science (panspermie).

You could also mention Europa with its ice covered surface and possible liquid oceans with tectonic heating below, Titan where it rains methane, Enceladus with its water geysers, and so forth.  In our own solar system there are numerous possibilties for life, I cant imagine what is actually out there.

I think life is a lot more prevelant than many of us believe.  But for intelligent life, not so much.  It takes billions of years of evolution in a stable environment, and that just doesnt seem like the norm in our chaotic universe.

Oh ofcourse I could have mentioned them I just mentioned the Venus because there are a lot Indicators for Life. Which are unseen on other planets (because we lack data)

Europa is ofcourse a big candidate. And an ocean under the surface is pretty much a fact because there is no other explanation for the cracks and we know that IO (another Jupiter moon) is so extremly heated up and the most vulcanic active object we know because he is near to Jupiter and the tidal effect from Jupiter is huge the same effect also effects Europa but a little fewer. The ocean under the surface is accepted by 99% of the scientist and this happens almost never.

Infact it would be possible to release Extromophile Bacterias from our earth in to the Ocean and they could live. They said that the ocean under the surface is probably full of oxygen andthe oxygen is transported in the ocean via the surface.

And there are rose stripes across the whole planet which could be bacteria.

Titan is a very special moon. If there is life it has definetly nothing to do with our life on earth and would be ground breaking.

But there are some theorys that a sort of Life is just under development on Titan. Our life needed 3 Billion years to grow from bacteria to multiple cell organism. So a Hypothetical Evolution on Titan could be slowed down. Because it gets much lesser energy then earths Life it could be 10 times slower. But we know that in 3 Billion years our sun will be expanding so Titan (Europa) would be both in habitable Zone Titan is farer away but has a thick isolating Atmosphere so it would make up this deficit.

I am convinced that basic life (bacterias maybe primitiv algea) could be common in the whole milkyway. But as you said complex life is probably extremly rare. But I am confident that atleast 1 other planet in our galaxy could give birth to complex life.

And there are theorys which say that most planets which have good conditions for life dont even have a sun. There is a belt in the milkyway in this area the sky is always bright because the stars are so extremly dense that they are emitting enough light to heat up a planet even if he is flying trough the space without any gravitational bond to a star. This is ofcourse a speculation which cant be proven in our life time and not even a common theory. We just dont know. But with Kepler we will be watching 150k stars at once for 4-6 years and we could be able to detect hundreds of planets of earth size and we could make better prognosis for life in the galaxy. But even if there are earth like planets its not sure that they gave birth to human like intelligence because we had a lot luck for example if we wouldnt have a oort cloud there would never be an asteroid which killed the dinosaurs and they would be still the dominating species. And complex Intelligence is not always an evolutionary advantage.