By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii/Revolution - 3 Years Later

So... here we are 3 years after the Wii launched...

I think it's pretty clear that it's not just a fad, that its sales didn't tank, yada yada... but how is the "Revolution" doing otherwise?

It was code named Revolution, obviously due to the unique control scheme... but I'm not sure it has really lived up to that reputation (sales aside).  We have our classic Nintendo games (Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros) with waggle added... but really these games control just like they would on standard controllers.  The motion control adds little or nothing to the experience.

I will give credit to driving (Mario Kart) and FPS (Metroid, COD, MOH) games for actually utilizing the motion controls.  Mario Kart Wii is playable with a joystick, but more fun with a wheel.  And Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy control infinitely better (IMO) than their Gamecube counterparts.  I also primarily play FPS on PC, so I have a particular disdain for the dual analog setup, but the Wiimote works for me.

Then there's the mini-game collections.  Wii Sports started it all... and IMO has yet to be topped... the games are subtly deep as far as controls go, but there's no "campaign" mode type offering or unlockables to keep you coming back for more, just multiplayer.  Then there's the Mario/Sonic titles, Wario, Mario Party... all fun games in a party atmosphere, but not much entertainment on your own.

So, the system is obviously a revolution in terms of sales and turning Nintendo around after 3rd place with the GameCube, but in terms of games, I feel all we're getting is:

1.  "Waggle added" games where shaking the controller is merely substituted for pressing a button
2.  FPS/Driving games with better (read: More fun) controls than their analog joystick counterparts
3.  Minigame collections

So I guess that's partially a revolution.  I think I expected to see more games with the motion controls as a key gameplay mechanic (Project Hammer?), rather than an afterthought or just minigame collection.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

i think the wii sales are dieng down now. and 2008 was its peak year. there will be bumps due to game releases buttt sales will continue to fall down on average.

the xbox sales will keep sliding until natal then it will do as amazingly well

the ps3 will start to shine in 2010 i believe, and i think next year the wii will either come 2nd that year. and in 2011 it will be last

Gearbox said:
i think the wii sales are dieng down now. and 2008 was its peak year. there will be bumps due to game releases buttt sales will continue to fall down on average.

the ps3 will start to shine in 2010 i believe, and i think next year the wii will either come 2nd that year. and in 2011 it will be last

Holy Jesus can I quote you on this

Khuutra said:
Gearbox said:

me too please

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

koopatrooper said:
Khuutra said:
Gearbox said:

me too please

Is there room for me as well? XD

Around the Network
Gearbox said:

Did you calculate for Wii-HD?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Gearbox said:

Well... there goes my thread.

Well overall I can't say the Wii has had a huge impact on the game industry at large.

It has not become the defacto PS2 successor as many had predicted 2 years ago as the majority of the PS2 franchises have stayed clear of the Wii

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Microsoft and Sony just follow with their motion controllers the Revolution Nintendo invented!

It was a revolution with the control =). Classic controls Died the moment wii mote appear. Wii is doing the transition to the new controls. =)

Metroid: Other M