Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii/Revolution - 3 Years Later

@ Gearbox

Please . . . that doesn't even sound practical

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network
max power said:
Gearbox said:
i think the wii sales are dieng down now. and 2008 was its peak year. there will be bumps due to game releases buttt sales will continue to fall down on average.

the xbox sales will keep sliding until natal then it will do as amazingly well

the ps3 will start to shine in 2010 i believe, and i think next year the wii will either come 2nd that year. and in 2011 it will be last

Well... there goes my thread.

Haha. That was great.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Ail said:
Well overall I can't say the Wii has had a huge impact on the game industry at large.

It has not become the defacto PS2 successor as many had predicted 2 years ago as the majority of the PS2 franchises have stayed clear of the Wii

Why would PS2 sales migrating to Nintendo be a large impact? It would mean this generation having the same games as the last. That would be a kind of status quo. Personally I think the impact is still happening, look at Natal and PS3 Glowball Stix (tm). Look at the way the industry has reacted to the 'threat' of the Wii. The turmoil amongst journalists, the flailing around by companies to find an audience (EA's ridiculous all-play marketing, for example) is evidence of the disruption.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Ail said:
Well overall I can't say the Wii has had a huge impact on the game industry at large.

It has not become the defacto PS2 successor as many had predicted 2 years ago as the majority of the PS2 franchises have stayed clear of the Wii

Really? um really? Maby not on the gaming industry from your point a view, but your the minority my friend.

You do know that the "hardcore" are a very small % of the gamers out there right? The casuals dont come on message boards and make there likes and dislikes known. And the casuals call the shots this gen, ask MS and Sony about that with there wands and Natals.

The Wii has also expanded the market, kinda like the PS1 did.

I do agree about the PS2 vs Wii. But its not really a fair fight. The PS2 had no compitition at all really but the Wii is beating the 360 and PS3 badly. And thoes 2 systems are real powerhouses.

Gearbox said:
i think the wii sales are dieng down now. and 2008 was its peak year. there will be bumps due to game releases buttt sales will continue to fall down on average.

the xbox sales will keep sliding until natal then it will do as amazingly well

the ps3 will start to shine in 2010 i believe, and i think next year the wii will either come 2nd that year. and in 2011 it will be last

Wow, you just set yourself up for years of being owned

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Ail said:

Really? So you're ignoring the dying third parties, and the bleeding Sony, as well as the Wand and NATAL?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

bazmeistergen said:
Ail said:

Why would PS2 sales migrating to Nintendo be a large impact? It would mean this generation having the same games as the last. That would be a kind of status quo. Personally I think the impact is still happening, look at Natal and PS3 Glowball Stix (tm). Look at the way the industry has reacted to the 'threat' of the Wii. The turmoil amongst journalists, the flailing around by companies to find an audience (EA's ridiculous all-play marketing, for example) is evidence of the disruption.

That is evidence of a disruption in sales/business.  I guess I more wanted to see a revolution in games/gameplay.

I'm still controlling Mario and Link with a joystick and buttons.  And I'm perfectly okay with that... but it's not a Revolution.

Wii Sports I view as a tech demo.  Excellent controls, but not much in terms of fleshed out gameplay.  When are we going to see those games fleshed out as full titles (not necessarily by Nintendo)?  Tiger Woods 10 is pretty good (with Wii motion+), and I think it outsells its HD counterparts because of it... but Punch Out plays best with NES style controls.  I'd love to see a high quality, pure motion controlled, with some sort of single player campaign and online multiplayer, boxing game (improving on Wii Sports)... but nobody's stepped up to the plate.

I disagree on 2 points:

Mario Kart - The steering isn't accurate enough.

Mario Galaxy - It controls like an absolute dream and is perfect for the Wii.

Other than that you've got some good points.

max power said:
bazmeistergen said:
Ail said:

That is evidence of a disruption in sales/business.  I guess I more wanted to see a revolution in games/gameplay.

I'm still controlling Mario and Link with a joystick and buttons.  And I'm perfectly okay with that... but it's not a Revolution.

Wii Sports I view as a tech demo.  Excellent controls, but not much in terms of fleshed out gameplay.  When are we going to see those games fleshed out as full titles (not necessarily by Nintendo)?  Tiger Woods 10 is pretty good (with Wii motion+), and I think it outsells its HD counterparts because of it... but Punch Out plays best with NES style controls.  I'd love to see a high quality, pure motion controlled, with some sort of single player campaign and online multiplayer, boxing game (improving on Wii Sports)... but nobody's stepped up to the plate.

As the PS2 gen got older and it was evident the PS2 was winning the PS2 marketshare kept raising .

This gen you will notice that after 2 initials years of raising its marketshare the Wii marketshare is actually going down...

As for Natal and the Wand, there is a huge lack of evidence aisde from Microsoft marketing claims than either HD platforms are taking those seriously.

The lack of any serious third party announcement surrounding huge franchises and those devices shows this...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

I think mini games started flodding the wii once they sawed wii sports took best selling game ever and its considered a minigame game... but it has a professional and a fun game. wii fit was a minigame to develpors and took it as they are going to flood the market hoing it sells 10 million... at first of course...now there blaming Nintendo (the ones who cant sell their games on the wii with shovelware) are making announcements with financial reports going downhill or games can't sell...

I mean... why do you think xbox360 gets so many shooters (this isn't trolling there's alot shooters for 1 console...) it has a 3 and 4...