By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the Wii was in HD.

If the wii was HD, it would have half of its current sales or less, no way in hell would it be $249 at launch, $449 at minimum.

mM
Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
specialops787 said:
CGI-Quality said:
I'm personally glad the Wii isn't HD. It differentiates itself quite well, and that is why it is a gaming phenomenon. Therefore, let's keep the Wii just as it is!

I'm perfectly fine with the graphics...but if the resolution itself was HD it would look so much more pretty on my HDTV ;_;.

I understand that

I'm just glad that something can differentiate itself and not have to be HD.

Absolutely. However, I do not own a Wii to play motion based games, per say. I own it to play Nintendo games. And virtual console. This is why I will not be getting Natal.

leo-j said:
If the wii was HD, it would have half of its current sales or less, no way in hell would it be $249 at launch, $449 at minimum.

False. HD refers to the resolution ONLY. I estimate the Wii would have been $300 at launch if it retained its current graphics, but added HD resolution.

Wii graphics without some sort of plug-in (i forget what its called) looks as bad as my PS2 does on my HDTV, so...graphics are kind of an issue, I think maxwell would side with me on this aswell.

I think if there's another thread about this topic, the admins should help us acquire the address of the thread creator and punch them in the face.

Besides, how can you take the OP seriously when he calls the Wii "Gamecube with motion controls"... 2006 called, they want their trolling methods back.

Around the Network
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Wii graphics without some sort of plug-in (i forget what its called) looks as bad as my PS2 does on my HDTV, so...graphics are kind of an issue, I think maxwell would side with me on this aswell.

That who issue is the fact that the Wii is not HD (720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) it is Standard Definition (480i, 480p)...so obviously its not going to look great on an HDTV that is stretching the image out. If the Wii output at least 720i it would look wonderful. Granted it doesn't even look bad with composite cords to get 480p.

the wii would get late ports like ps3.

thats all.

ah so many people who think HD means anything when referring to consoles I mean it has been proven that most of the good looking games on the "HD" consoles aren't even true HD generally 720p or higher, they are non resolutions like 574 etc on the 360 unscaled to 720p or 1080i usaly I mean sure nintendo could have included a upscaler but most HD TVs upscale low res input anyway. so there wouldn't be any different anyway. alternatively they they could have uped the hardware so it could do HD native (or at lest false HD) at a 300-400$US cost but it wouldn't have been nearly as successful.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
ah so many people who think HD means anything when referring to consoles I mean it has been proven that most of the good looking games on the "HD" consoles aren't even true HD generally 720p or higher, they are non resolutions like 574 etc on the 360 unscaled to 720p or 1080i usaly I mean sure nintendo could have included a upscaler but most HD TVs upscale low res input anyway. so there wouldn't be any different anyway. alternatively they they could have uped the hardware so it could do HD native (or at lest false HD) at a 300-400$US cost but it wouldn't have been nearly as successful.

HD games still look sexier though =p.......OT...it wouldve failed, nintendo really thought this gen. through and through

I agree with most of you about the sales difference if it was in HD. But, like I said about the 3rd party support of it having basically the same games the other consoles have. Plus there is a lot of people not buying the Wii because of the graphics and not having those certain games.