By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - $198 too expensive? HD-DVD player on sale for $99 at Wal-mart

kn said:There is something here for Toshiba, however. If they want to win this war and win it now, They need to put their A3s down close to the same price. Nix the 5 free BS deal and go 2 or 3 free in store for $129 or something along those lines. This sale and the response (more or less immediate sell-out) proves that Joe Six Pack's heart and mind will be won with low prices and not fanboy rhetoric, marketing, or any other sleight of hand.

You just brought up a good and important point.  If the bottom line is saying that pricing drives hardware sales, then blu-ray is in deep trouble.  If people are only willing to pay <$150 for a player with free movies, how likely are they gonna buy a $399 PS3 or $445 standalone player with just spiderman 3?

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Around the Network

It's like BetaMax/VHS fight all over again. BetaMax was a fine piece of equipment, but too expensive in the end. Folks aren't worried about quality - they want something that does a good job playing a movie. Take your receipt for your $600 BR player and $5 and get a grande cafe latte at your local Starbucks. I say bravo to the newest members of the HD DVD crowd, though I think a lot of folks bought the HD DVD to get the free movies and the player and flip them both ...

I have to say this is huge, a 100 bucks for the player and 5 movies? Even with doubts about who will emerge on top this deal still seems worth it, pick it up with Transformers and that's a pretty sweet.

Anyone can argue that blu-ray is doing better and it has the backing of the ps3 but it's hard to convince someone to shell out 5 times the price, for a product that really isn't much better, it just currently offers some different exclusives, and people are going to reason that these $100 players are going to storm the market which will break future excusivity.

Every time I think this war is simmering down it gets crazy again.

check this out.

Toshiba has hit the sweet spot when it comes to price. If Sony cannot match, it will lose the holidays both on the HD front and the video game front.

Around the Network
Omac said:
Is the A3 going to be $200 when it comes out?

Sorry!  My bad.  The A3 is ALREADY OUT at $199.99 at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8494435&type=product&id=1186003898783

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Well the A3 for 200 bucks is still keeping the price low.

An interesting side note here... Sony is most certainly still losing money on the PS3 regardless of the SKU. Why is this? Because it is the same price as the current cheapest Blu-Ray drives and they are reportedly at best break even or losing money on those. If that is indeed the case, they still have to factor in the Cell, memory, controller, and so on in the PS3 when considering the total cost.

Regardless, this leaves Sony fighting on two fronts: The PS3 (a trojan-horse Blu-ray player) and Blu-Ray standalone. I don't think Sony is going to get into a price war on both fronts meaning I doubt we see a $299 or less Blu-Ray player any time soon.

If Toshiba decided to bet it all, right here, right now, they would take Sony-sized losses on the A3 and move em out cheap enough to sell multi-millions over the holidays. There is no doubt that Sony will be moving 2-3 million PS3 systems globally over the holidays. HD-DVD has to accomplish the same and they aren't going to do it with $200 players as J6P won't spend that kind of coin just to get a player...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Toshiba wont go all out, but if they sell enough consoles this holiday they can ensure HD DVD's survival, at least as a minority player.

Also lets not forget the psychological victory HD DVD will win if we assume kn's guesses are correct. HD DVD will sell more disks this week, and with a monumental rise in installed base, blu-ray should fall beneath its 2-1 lead in disk sales.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

kn said:
An interesting side note here... Sony is most certainly still losing money on the PS3 regardless of the SKU. Why is this? Because it is the same price as the current cheapest Blu-Ray drives and they are reportedly at best break even or losing money on those. If that is indeed the case, they still have to factor in the Cell, memory, controller, and so on in the PS3 when considering the total cost.

Regardless, this leaves Sony fighting on two fronts: The PS3 (a trojan-horse Blu-ray player) and Blu-Ray standalone. I don't think Sony is going to get into a price war on both fronts meaning I doubt we see a $299 or less Blu-Ray player any time soon.

If Toshiba decided to bet it all, right here, right now, they would take Sony-sized losses on the A3 and move em out cheap enough to sell multi-millions over the holidays. There is no doubt that Sony will be moving 2-3 million PS3 systems globally over the holidays. HD-DVD has to accomplish the same and they aren't going to do it with $200 players as J6P won't spend that kind of coin just to get a player...

I don't agree.  Sony has always been an expensive brand.  And although I do reckon that Sony is making a loss on the PS3 at the moment.  I certainly don't think they are making a loss on the standalone Blu-ray players.  Have you also noticed that Samsung is starting to price highe...and Toshiba in general is pricing lower.

What Toshiba need to watch out for is the cheapening of their brand overall.  Once this happens, they can forget selling their more expensive higher end models and will end up selling only budget players, TV's and laptops across the board.

Isn't Sharp due to release a budget Blu-ray player soon as well.  I reckon we will see a $249-$299 Blu-ray player sooner rather than later. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)