By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - $198 too expensive? HD-DVD player on sale for $99 at Wal-mart

Sweet!!!!  Just got back from local Walmart.  Got 2 for $98 bucks each.  Also picked up 7 movies for $14.96 each.

FYI, you need to be real pushy to get all the movies for $14.96.  They were only going to sell certain movies at that price, but since the add didn't specify, a few of us just kept pushing them until they finally relented.

The best part is that I also manage to scam the Planet Earth DVD, normally $65, for $14.96 also.

I am so flippin psyched right now.  This will definitely help HD-DVD as there was a long line and all 27 the store had sold out quickly.  However many walmart had, I'm sure they all got sold.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:
rocketpig said:
I'm really debating whether $99 is worth it for an upscaling DVD player that will play the occasional HD-DVD. I just went through the movie lists for HD-DVD and Blu-ray and got a good chuckle out of them.

Good to see that HD-DVD released a bunch of Kubrick films. I always wanted to watch a 4:3 movie in high definition. Caddyshack in high def sounds great, too. As does The Breakfast Club. A young collection of Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Emelio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, and Ally Sheedy in 1080i excites me to no end.

The Kubrik films are out on Blu-Ray also.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic and saying that those movies being in HD mean nothing since they really arn't graphic masterpieces to begin with.

Oh I know.  4:3 and all that nonsense.  I was just pointing it out for those who don't know.

Tbh, I have never seen a Kubrik film, and I don't plan to see one anytime soon. 

Yeah, i've seen one or two.  I wouldn't suggest them.

Damn, my local walmart didn't even have any HD movies LOL. At least I got the player. My god they are going to sell a lot of these things. I could easily see over 500k sales this weekend alone.

FishyJoe said:
Damn, my local walmart didn't even have any HD movies LOL. At least I got the player. My god they are going to sell a lot of these things. I could easily see over 500k sales this weekend alone.

It certainly is foolish that they didn't have a large selection of Movies to go with it as that would have spurred quite a number of movie sales which is what the format wars need more than anything.  Could you tell how many they had in stock?  Did they have a pallet out in the Aisle or just a few in stock?

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

whatever said:

Sweet!!!! Just got back from local Walmart. Got 2 for $98 bucks each. Also picked up 7 movies for $14.96 each.

FYI, you need to be real pushy to get all the movies for $14.96. They were only going to sell certain movies at that price, but since the add didn't specify, a few of us just kept pushing them until they finally relented.

The best part is that I also manage to scam the Planet Earth DVD, normally $65, for $14.96 also.

I am so flippin psyched right now. This will definitely help HD-DVD as there was a long line and all 27 the store had sold out quickly. However many walmart had, I'm sure they all got sold.

Holy cow on the Planet Earth DVD.  That DVD set is AMAZING -- even in standard def.  It's one of the best documentaries I have ever seen.

I hate trolls.

Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I don't know how many they had because I got there well after opening. I'm guessing a pallet. I saw three people walking out of the store with one in hand and two buying while I was there. There were 7 left on the cart after I bought mine. They didn't even bother with putting them on display, just a trolley cart next to the register.

The store I went to was in a crappy neighborhood and didn't have any HD movies, neither HD-DVD or Blu-ray.

whatever said:

all 27 the store had sold out quickly. 

You mean there was 27 hd-dvd players in this store and it's SOLD OUT, NOW ? In one day ? 

Do you think this store will receive another shipment ?   

The good thing about selling HD-DVD players is that people actually know they play movies.

Compare that with sales of the cheapest Blu-Ray player.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I just came back from my local super wally world. They sold every one they had in the first 5 minutes after they put them out at 8AM. She said they didn't have very many -- maybe 20 units. They also had a very limited selection of HD-DVD movies in stock. Maybe 2 or 3 each of about 20 titles and a lot of them can be found in the 5 free offer so not much to choose from. I hope they had more than 20 per store on average... If that's all they had, it isn't going to be much of an uptick for HD-DVD.

I hate trolls.

Unfortunately I slept in so something tells me I am pretty well screwed. There is a glimmer of hope that by the time I can get into the local WalMart that they will still have a few units. Hopefully WalMart runs another sale at something approaching this price later in the season.

Yeah this is a huge blow to BluRay. The first time a High definition player has become truly affordable. You have to stand up and take notice of that.