By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - $198 too expensive? HD-DVD player on sale for $99 at Wal-mart

starcraft said:
Onya Madskills.

I cannot BELIEVE KBG29. That is without a doubt, the worst instance of fanboyism I have ever seen. So desperate is he for the PS3 to succeed that he would trick unsuspecting consumers into purchasing overly expensive equipment when they only needed a relatively cheap HD DVD player.

Do the mod guidelines allow bans to be handed out as a means of safeguarding the world's uninformed from Sony employees?

He's just trolling guys.  There is no way he actually did this.  Anyone who got up early to get one of these, would know EXACTLY what they were getting into.  The guys I waited out with were all well versed on blu-ray vs. hd-dvd, yada yada.

None of them would have been pursuaded by some stranger spewing nonsense.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Onya Madskills.

I cannot BELIEVE KBG29. That is without a doubt, the worst instance of fanboyism I have ever seen. So desperate is he for the PS3 to succeed that he would trick unsuspecting consumers into purchasing overly expensive equipment when they only needed a relatively cheap HD DVD player.

Do the mod guidelines allow bans to be handed out as a means of safeguarding the world's uninformed from Sony employees?

LOL ... thanks for the good laugh. In the end, the average consumer could care less about BR or HD DVD. The bottom line is - why should someone pay more that has average equipment? I do admire his zeal, though it's very misplaced and biased.

I'm sitting back, waiting to see the YouTube response from a granddad who can't show his grands Transformers on his nice BR player because of some guy who badgered him said HD DVD was the devil ...

whatever said:
starcraft said:
Onya Madskills.

He's just trolling guys. There is no way he actually did this. Anyone who got up early to get one of these, would know EXACTLY what they were getting into. The guys I waited out with were all well versed on blu-ray vs. hd-dvd, yada yada.

None of them would have been pursuaded by some stranger spewing nonsense.

I'm not so sure ... there are folks who will likely buy the 40gb PS3 thinking it can play PS2 games. I can't wait to see Johnny's face when he can't play GT4 on  his shiny new 40gb. Maybe he can then go to Gamestop, trade it in for a 60gb PS3 that DOES play PS2 games and give GS $200 to complete the transaction ...

Wow KBG, you're so extreme even the pro-Sony people think you're cuckoo. Seriously, I hope you really didn't just spend 3 hours in a Wal-mart without being paid to promote Sony products. If some random person came up to me and tried to convince me not to buy something, I would say or do anything just to get that creepy person away from me.

KBG29 said:
Spent 3 hours at Wal-Mart today. I stoped 11 out of 12 people from getting HD-DVD players. I will be spending a lot of time down thier the rest of this year. It is the best I can do to help the less tech savy not get screwed on this half-step format. One couple I talked too went straight over to the games section and picked up a 40GB PS3. The wife said about HD-DVD "We have purchased Toshiba products for over 10 years and we have never been disipointed in them. I can not believe that they would sell a product that is not of the upmost quality." Two other's went ahead and picked up the 80GB which really shocked me , because that is a lot more than they came in expecting to spend. One of these people was an older man about mid 50's he said "It would really be nice if they posted the differances between these products more. Seeing 30 of those GB things compared to 50 really gives you more of a idea about these products than price and names." The only one I could not stop from buying it was this 27 year old guy that said he already had the 360 HD-DVD drive for his 360 in the living room, and he wanted to get this one for his bedroom.

Overall I think the day went well. I was surprised to see so much traffic towards HDM. It seems this year will see a lot of sales in this spectrum of the market. I am going to do my best to try and make sure that these Walmart shoppers in my area make an informed decision before purchaseing into HDM. Hopefully it will help Blu win and put us on track to a medium that will last for a solid 15 to 20 years.

Holy freakin shit. This is fanboyism at it's highest freaking level. Cdude's parasitic nature is 1000X nicer than this fanboyish desperation for the PS3 to succed. You don't care about these people, you care about PS3 winning, not Blu-Ray, PS3. You would convince them to buy a 40 GB PS3 even if a $299 Blu-Ray player came out. You honestly don't want the best for them, you want the best for you. You'd want them to spend extra $300 to buy a DVD player with better picture to make sure the PS3 wins. Do the world a favor and **** ******** *** ****** ** * ****** ***** on your grave.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
whatever said:

OK.  I gotta chime in here.  "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" is possibly my favorite movie.  Peter Sellers and George C. Scott are just phenomenal in this movie.  It was just hysterical if you like satire/dark humor.  If you only see one Kubrick film, make it this one.

I also enjoyed Clockwork Orange, 2001, and Barry Lyndon.

Dr. Strangelove is one of the greatest comedies of all time. George C. Scott and Peter Sellers are brilliant.

"But, but, he'll see the BIG BOARD!" or when Sellers calls the President Mein Fuhrer... Absolutely cutting edge stuff for the time.

Other Kubrick movies that are must-sees:

- A Clockwork Orange (originally banned in Britain because of its topic)

- 2001: A Space Odyssey (IMO, the greatest sci-fi flick ever... definitely the most intelligent)

- Full Metal Jacket (if you're not riveted by the first half hour of that film, you're probably dead)

- The Shining (I still can't understand why Stephen King so hated this film... it's one of the best based on his books)

- Lolita (very edgy for its time)

- Spartacus (epic movie)

I still haven't seen the entirety of Barry Lyndon but I've heard it's good. Kubrick was one of the most influential directors of all time; I don't understand how someone could say that his films weren't good.

No kidding. Didn't know those were Kubriks. The only ones I knew of that were his were the later ones when he was famous like that god awful one with Tom cruise.

I actually liked 2001, Spartacus and Lolita.  Hated Full Metal Jacket, The Shining and Clockwork Orange though. 

Didn't like the acting in Full Metal Jacket, thought the Shinging was over the top, and Clockwork Orange was nothing like the source matieral.

do you think we will have access to a sort of report saying by "how much" the HD DVD sales increaseed with the new entry price ?

Time to Work !

KBG29 said:
Spent 3 hours at Wal-Mart today. I stoped 11 out of 12 people from getting HD-DVD players. I will be spending a lot of time down thier the rest of this year. It is the best I can do to help the less tech savy not get screwed on this half-step format. One couple I talked too went straight over to the games section and picked up a 40GB PS3. The wife said about HD-DVD "We have purchased Toshiba products for over 10 years and we have never been disipointed in them. I can not believe that they would sell a product that is not of the upmost quality." Two other's went ahead and picked up the 80GB which really shocked me , because that is a lot more than they came in expecting to spend. One of these people was an older man about mid 50's he said "It would really be nice if they posted the differances between these products more. Seeing 30 of those GB things compared to 50 really gives you more of a idea about these products than price and names." The only one I could not stop from buying it was this 27 year old guy that said he already had the 360 HD-DVD drive for his 360 in the living room, and he wanted to get this one for his bedroom.

Overall I think the day went well. I was surprised to see so much traffic towards HDM. It seems this year will see a lot of sales in this spectrum of the market. I am going to do my best to try and make sure that these Walmart shoppers in my area make an informed decision before purchaseing into HDM. Hopefully it will help Blu win and put us on track to a medium that will last for a solid 15 to 20 years.

What part of the world do you live in?  I'd like to know just in case I'm in your area and need to get a temporary restraining order.  If you had approached me in walmart, I would have asked an employee to call security.  That's not fanboyism, that's just downright creepy.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

KBG, either you're the most ridiculously flaming fanboy I've ever seen, or you just made all that shit up, which is equally fanboyish. I hear Gamestop is looking for new employees...

Am I the only one in the universe who liked Eyes Wide Shut?

Entroper said:
KBG, either you're the most ridiculously flaming fanboy I've ever seen, or you just made all that shit up, which is equally fanboyish. I hear Gamestop is looking for new employees...

Am I the only one in the universe who liked Eyes Wide Shut?

I liked it also.  Just not as much as most of Kubrick's other movies.