By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Congrats sony,ps3 and ps3 fans gamers and fanboys you deserve it.

zeewap said:
kowenicki said:
zeewap said:
Actually, Microsoft hasnt been losing money (on 360) for 2+ years...

But yeah, for the whole generation, both have lost money, although Sony has lost much more.

first part... no

second part... yes

Umm, yes. Microsoft (division gaming is in) has been profitable the last two fiscal years and one quarter (at least). http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/20346/Xbox-Division-Records-Second-Profitable-Year-in-a-Row/

The one quarter from June 30-Sep30 09 that isn't reported their was also a profit, thats why I say 2 years and one quarter (at least, I dont know about prior quarters, fair to say the previous fiscal year surely wasnt profitable, otherwise Gamespot would have reported 3 years in a row).

EDD profitable =/= XBox 360 selling for a proft, necessarily. I thought the 360 HW has been selling above cost for about 1 year. Small loss (made up for by revenue from other psrt of the division) in the year or so prior to that. Dunno though, does anyone have any hard information about 360 production cost vs retail price (in the past)? Definitely cheaper to make than PS3 so at $299 retail, with Slim making a modest loss, Elite must be profitable by a few bucks at least. Arcade too.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Both companies have stated that they make most of their profits from peripherals (PS3 is almost all)