By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Grammy Nominations Announced - Taylor Swift and Beyonce lead ALL

MontanaHatchet said:
Also, props to Rocketpig for suggesting Pet Sounds. I've been listening to God Only Knows non-stop since the week began.

About once a year, I need to listen to Pet Sounds constantly for a few days.

Have you ever listened to it on vinyl? I was never much of a vinyl man but darkening a room and listening to that album with all the scratches and mono sound is purely orgasmic. It's even better than stereo sound with no distortion. For some reason, it fits.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:

Jesus Christ, Swift does not produce her own albums.

Yes she does!!! She produced Fearless!! her current album! Which is the highest selling album of the year and is getting all the positive attention.

You really don't understand that in the case of most pop singers, a "producer" role is the equivalent of an EP title in movies, do you?

No, she actually sat down and said what she wanted and everything. She produced the album with Scott Borchetta Nathan Chapman. It's her heart and soul on a disk

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

BUY TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM REPUTATION!!

Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:
I hope Ringo takes the mic from her and says "I know Taylor made some great songs and all but I'm a FUCKING BEATLE. Lick my feet, bitch."

It's destiny that Ringo presented nominations with Taylor Swift in it. She's so talented. What a great night :)

So it's destiny that the most technically proficient yet least talented Beatle give an award to a technically inproficient pop singer?

Taylor Swift isn't terrible but you really need to expand your horizons, man. Listen to some Pink Floyd, Beatles, Velvet Underground, Bowie, early U2, Who, REM, Radiohead, Simon & Garfunkel, or Dylan or something. And please, give Pet Sounds a go. If that doesn't change how you think about music, I don't know what will.

Then, after you've done that, come back and tell us how great Taylor Swift is.

I have listened to them. Taylor is amazing and she is like the Beatles of 2009 IMO.

I'm glad shes getting the attention she deserves cause she is soooooooooo talented. I love her.

No, you obviously haven't.

It's incredibly obvious you haven't.

I have. That music is too old for my taste.. I don't think its great. I mean yeah the song writing is great, but I think Taylor is up to par with all of them. You know in 40 years, young adults will be listening to Taylor songs like You Belong With Me, White Horse, Love Story and they will be held up as some of the greatest songs of all time, like people hold up the Beatles, Pink Flloyd and so on..

Well, fine. At least admit that the music just doesn't fit your tastes. But don't even claim for a second that Taylor Swift or any other generic female pop star is any way comparable to The Beatles. When Taylor Swift produces anywhere close to the likes of Revolver or Sgt. Pepper, then maybe I'll agree with you. Right now, she just has a couple popular sings, and that's it. Doesn't make her better than the other dozen female pop stars that litter the market. And I assure you that Taylor Swift won't have that sort of longevity. I'd be amazed if she retained her popularity for more than 10 years, let alone 40.

It's my opinion.. That's all, but I think that Taylor's song writing, producing and singing is just as good if not better than the Beatles. Taylor is on her way to being a legend. I can't wait.

When Taylor Swift can evolve and innovate like The Beatles and influence music forever...oh God, why do I even create these hypotheticals? They'll never happen. Hell, even Madonna was nowhere near The Beatles, and she was freakin' huge. Same with Aretha Franklin, Barbara Streisand, or any other really famous female singer I could name. The Beatles could write legendary songs based off of various events in their lives; hell, most of their hit songs practically have their own little stories behind them. Even Ringo could write some really kickass songs when he felt like it.

Well Taylor has the talent to back it! Let's see in a few years. I think her songs are changing the generations as it is! Her songs have just as much meaning as the songs the Beatles have wrote in my honest opinion. Oh and by the way... the Beatles are on the verse of losing their #1's record in the U.S to Mariah Carey.

Yeah, move over Eleanor Rigby, we have a 20 year old white chick who hates her ex-boyfriend.

Jesus Christ, every day I'm on this forum, seppuku sounds like a more and more reasonable way out.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:
I hope Ringo takes the mic from her and says "I know Taylor made some great songs and all but I'm a FUCKING BEATLE. Lick my feet, bitch."

It's destiny that Ringo presented nominations with Taylor Swift in it. She's so talented. What a great night :)

So it's destiny that the most technically proficient yet least talented Beatle give an award to a technically inproficient pop singer?

Taylor Swift isn't terrible but you really need to expand your horizons, man. Listen to some Pink Floyd, Beatles, Velvet Underground, Bowie, early U2, Who, REM, Radiohead, Simon & Garfunkel, or Dylan or something. And please, give Pet Sounds a go. If that doesn't change how you think about music, I don't know what will.

I have listened to them. Taylor is amazing and she is like the Beatles of 2009 IMO.

I'm glad shes getting the attention she deserves cause she is soooooooooo talented. I love her.

I have. That music is too old for my taste.. I don't think its great. I mean yeah the song writing is great, but I think Taylor is up to par with all of them. You know in 40 years, young adults will be listening to Taylor songs like You Belong With Me, White Horse, Love Story and they will be held up as some of the greatest songs of all time, like people hold up the Beatles, Pink Flloyd and so on..

Well, fine. At least admit that the music just doesn't fit your tastes. But don't even claim for a second that Taylor Swift or any other generic female pop star is any way comparable to The Beatles. When Taylor Swift produces anywhere close to the likes of Revolver or Sgt. Pepper, then maybe I'll agree with you. Right now, she just has a couple popular sings, and that's it. Doesn't make her better than the other dozen female pop stars that litter the market. And I assure you that Taylor Swift won't have that sort of longevity. I'd be amazed if she retained her popularity for more than 10 years, let alone 40.

It's my opinion.. That's all, but I think that Taylor's song writing, producing and singing is just as good if not better than the Beatles. Taylor is on her way to being a legend. I can't wait.

When Taylor Swift can evolve and innovate like The Beatles and influence music forever...oh God, why do I even create these hypotheticals? They'll never happen. Hell, even Madonna was nowhere near The Beatles, and she was freakin' huge. Same with Aretha Franklin, Barbara Streisand, or any other really famous female singer I could name. The Beatles could write legendary songs based off of various events in their lives; hell, most of their hit songs practically have their own little stories behind them. Even Ringo could write some really kickass songs when he felt like it.

Well Taylor has the talent to back it! Let's see in a few years. I think her songs are changing the generations as it is! Her songs have just as much meaning as the songs the Beatles have wrote in my honest opinion. Oh and by the way... the Beatles are on the verse of losing their #1's record in the U.S to Mariah Carey.

Yeah, move over Eleanor Rigby, we have a 20 year old white chick who hates her ex-boyfriend.

Jesus Christ, every day I'm on this forum, seppuku sounds like a more and more reasonable way out.

She writes WAY more about stuff than that..

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:

Yes she does!!! She produced Fearless!! her current album! Which is the highest selling album of the year and is getting all the positive attention.

You really don't understand that in the case of most pop singers, a "producer" role is the equivalent of an EP title in movies, do you?

No, she actually sat down and said what she wanted and everything. She produced the album with Scott Borchetta Nathan Chapman. It's her heart and soul on a disk

. . .which doesn't say much for the young lady's heart and soul really. Now, granted, I've only heard the radio songs, but I pretty much have to use the Shazam app on my iPhone to tell the difference between her song and ANY NUMBER OF OTHER GENERIC POP SINGERS!

Around the Network
CommonMan said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:

. . .which doesn't say much for the young lady's heart and soul really. Now, granted, I've only heard the radio songs, but I pretty much have to use the Shazam app on my iPhone to tell the difference between her song and ANY NUMBER OF OTHER GENERIC POP SINGERS!

It does say much for her heart and soul. Have you actually sat down and listened to her records.. She penned them all and they ooze with truth and conviction. Her song writing is clever and makes perfect sense and tells a story in a song.

rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:

I have. That music is too old for my taste.. I don't think its great. I mean yeah the song writing is great, but I think Taylor is up to par with all of them if not above them. You know in 40 years, young adults will be listening to Taylor songs like You Belong With Me, White Horse, Love Story and they will be held up as some of the greatest songs of all time, like people hold up the Beatles, Pink Flloyd and so on..

And Casablanca sucks because it's in black and white.

Where did that come from?

Warrior of Light #66

"I'm not illiterate, my parents were married!"

3DS FC: 2878 9589 2016

Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:

Well Taylor has the talent to back it! Let's see in a few years. I think her songs are changing the generations as it is! Her songs have just as much meaning as the songs the Beatles have wrote in my honest opinion. Oh and by the way... the Beatles are on the verge of losing their #1's record in the U.S to Mariah Carey.

Her most famous song is about a girl who wants to get with a guy, and yet some bitchy girl is already his girlfriend. Boo hoo. Compare that to the likes of The Beatles, and it can't compete.

As for the Mariah Carey thing, consider that the best selling album of all time in America is not Thriller, Back in Black, Nevermind, or some other incredibly epic album. It's the Eagles Greatest Hits Collection. I love the United States, but our taste in music isn't always the best. Also consider that Garth Brooks is the second most popular music artist of all time in America (the only redeeming thing being that The Beatles are #1).

Ps3 said:
CommonMan said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:

It does say much for her heart and soul. Have you actually sat down and listened to her records.. She penned them all and they ooze with truth and conviction. Her song writing is clever and makes perfect sense and tells a story in a song.

The last sentence of your statement also applies to "Why Does the Sun Shine?" by They Might Be Giants, I wouldn't put that song up against "Dear Prudence" either (though I'd much rather listen to TMBG than Swift any day of the week).
Edit: Damn formatting

MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:
Ps3 said:
rocketpig said:

Well Taylor has the talent to back it! Let's see in a few years. I think her songs are changing the generations as it is! Her songs have just as much meaning as the songs the Beatles have wrote in my honest opinion. Oh and by the way... the Beatles are on the verge of losing their #1's record in the U.S to Mariah Carey.

Her most famous song is about a girl who wants to get with a guy, and yet some bitchy girl is already his girlfriend. Boo hoo. Compare that to the likes of The Beatles, and it can't compete.

As for the Mariah Carey thing, consider that the best selling album of all time in America is not Thriller, Back in Black, Nevermind, or some other incredibly epic album. It's the Eagles Greatest Hits Collection. I love the United States, but our taste in music isn't always the best. Also consider that Garth Brooks is the second most popular music artist of all time in America (the only redeeming thing being that The Beatles are #1).

The way its written it is.. The song is written so well its like those legends wrote it.. At only 19 her song writing skills are just going to improve by leaps and bounds. She's 19, do you expect her to write about sex and drugs? I mean when the Beatles were young they had songs about Holding Hands and SHE LOVES U YAHHHH YAHHH YAHHH.. It's all about age approiate stuff and for her age she could be considered a legend.

Ok.