By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When game "journalists" have their trolling exposed.

Dinosaurs always die out, it's just a waiting game. The sooner the "enthusiast media" goes away, the better.

Around the Network
roxaskey said:
there was a G4 episode where Morgan Webb went as far as saying Super Mario Galaxy was kiddy to the point of being "insulting" to adults while Rachet & Clank was immensely praised and her co-host even backed her statement saying that it was normal for a Wii game.

http://g4tv.com/videos/42314/Game-Break-with-Ratchet-and-Clank-Future/ (around the 2:00 mark)

And in their Chop Till You Drop review, they used that game to justify why they make fun of the Wii. Now even if you don't like that game, that's supposed to be a reason to mock the whole system? That's like using Lair as a reason to mock the PS3.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

donathos said:
Garcian Smith said:

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Craig Harris' awful New Super Mario Bros. Wii review: http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1044744p2.html

Closing quote: "As a gamer I love New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but as a critic I just couldn't let the issues slide."

That Harris quote is funny for a few reasons.  I mean... what's a game critic's job if it isn't ultimately to let his audience know if they'll enjoy a game or not?  And who's his audience if not primarily gamers?

If "as a gamer" he loves NSMBWii, then shouldn't that also be his critical opinion?  But instead he writes as though critics are looking at issues that wouldn't necessarily matter to a gamer.  That there are "flaws" with this game that won't bother the people playing it, but that must matter to him as a critic, for some unspecified reason.  A higher mission, if you will, or a greater agenda.

This sentence aside and regarding all of these suspect reviews that ping Nintendo games 'cause of "lack of innovation" while praising run-of-the-mill FPS sequels, and lack of online multiplayer while ignoring the shrinking single player campaigns and caustic online environments of some of the competition, I think that it's almost always a mistake to concentrate on what something "lacks" rather than what it provides.

Yes, about that... I could have criticized the sudden decision of IW about MW2 for the 2 player coop. But I won't complain on that. Why? Nintendo, as IW did, chose that some kind of experiences may not provide what the player is looking for. Nintendo are not fools. They have been involving in gaming industry for 25 years. They know what they have to do and they know where the limitation of a game is. I prefer an absent online that a not-so-good one.

And I agree with Nintendo. This title is so much fun when your friends are playing near you. ING got mad about lack of online and it's totally an unprofessionnal attitude. Really... does really nowadays games have new standards despite of graphics? It's a matter of fun, and nothing else. This title as a great replay value and provide tons and tons of funny moments with your friend.... and also some reaction due to anger =O

LordTheNightKnight said:
roxaskey said:
there was a G4 episode where Morgan Webb went as far as saying Super Mario Galaxy was kiddy to the point of being "insulting" to adults while Rachet & Clank was immensely praised and her co-host even backed her statement saying that it was normal for a Wii game.

http://g4tv.com/videos/42314/Game-Break-with-Ratchet-and-Clank-Future/ (around the 2:00 mark)

And in their Chop Till You Drop review, they used that game to justify why they make fun of the Wii. Now even if you don't like that game, that's supposed to be a reason to mock the whole system? That's like using Lair as a reason to mock the PS3.

Ho, yes. The story with Morgan Webb. Well, I would say that a big fish gun that burps is actually aimed for adults rather than cutie Lumas and Bees...

My father, my cousin, me, my sister, my brother, my friends, my aunt, my uncle, they all love Mario Galaxy and never felt ashamed with that game. And, yes, the story is really cute.

Then I would say... I don't care because Mario Galaxy is one the highest rated game of all time and a strong seller (8.25 million) compared to the small userbase of Ratchet and Clank.

watch the latest bonus round

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network
cAPSLOCK said:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146958.html?page=4

April Fools Joke from 2006. They've been shitting on the Wii since before the Wii was launched.

Some comments on this April Fools Joke are hilarious, thank you very much for this link. This is my favourite one in this thread :).

LordTheNightKnight said:
roxaskey said:

LOL... and people did use Lair to make fun of the Ps3... Hell, that was still being used in '08.

Keep in mind guys, if journalist are trolling just to troll - that's one thing. But when they're fabricating information, distorting facts, omitting facts, cherry picking data, or just flat out lying in order to troll the Wii and or write libel - that's something entirely different.

I'm more interested in the latter - and here's another example. It's not to magnitude of the other examples but I feel it should be mentioned all the same - see Example: #7.

Kenology said:

Keep in mind guys, if journalist are trolling just to troll - that's one thing. But when they're fabricating information, distorting facts, omitting facts, cherry picking data, or just flat out lying in order to troll the Wii and or write libel - that's something entirely different.

I'm more interested in the latter - and here's another example. It's not to magnitude of the other examples but I feel it should be mentioned all the same - see Example: #7.

Exactly. The problem is that the gaming press, along with their self-proclaimed "hardcore gamer" contingent, actively want the Wii (and its big games) to fail.

Thankfully the Expanded Audience is smart enough to not trust enthusiast media for their reviews.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=94535&page=1

Interesting kotaku article and response by Malstrom. It should be incredibly easy to put 2 and 2 together between the 2 threads.

By the way, this kind of crap happened in the music industry with radio stations in the 50s/60s and it was a HUGE scandal. Same with movies, so yes this is seen as corruption and scandal in media. Game journalists are just too stupid to actually know anything about it.