By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo's Efforts to Entice Third Parties Worked Against It?

jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
Shonen said:
Its easy guys , if you own your SoftHouse , would you like to compete with Nintendo ?

On 360 and PS3 you dont have to compete with Metroids,Marios,Zeldas,Smahs and stuff , that why 3th parties dont gives a sh**** abolt nintendo consoles , and maybe they never will , but if nintendo do more partnerships like they did with tean ninja ...it can changes with time....

But on PS3 and 360 you have to compete with Halo, GT, COD, GTA, FF, MGS, L4D, etc, etc.  It's not those markets aren't heavily crowded already either.

That means they know what they can rip off. They don't know what to rip off with the Wii yet. Perhaps NSMBWii will start a load of sidescrollers.

I wish.  Wii already has a pretty decent amount of sidescrollers though (Klonoa, Wario Land, Lost Winds, Megaman, Contra, Castlevania, etc).

I don't mean old school throwbacks just for nostalgia. I mean those ripping off NSMBWii because it's tearing up the charts.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
Shonen said:
Its easy guys , if you own your SoftHouse , would you like to compete with Nintendo ?

On 360 and PS3 you dont have to compete with Metroids,Marios,Zeldas,Smahs and stuff , that why 3th parties dont gives a sh**** abolt nintendo consoles , and maybe they never will , but if nintendo do more partnerships like they did with tean ninja ...it can changes with time....

But on PS3 and 360 you have to compete with Halo, GT, COD, GTA, FF, MGS, L4D, etc, etc.  It's not those markets aren't heavily crowded already either.

That means they know what they can rip off. They don't know what to rip off with the Wii yet. Perhaps NSMBWii will start a load of sidescrollers.

I wish.  Wii already has a pretty decent amount of sidescrollers though (Klonoa, Wario Land, Lost Winds, Megaman, Contra, Castlevania, etc).

I don't mean old school throwbacks just for nostalgia. I mean those ripping off NSMBWii because it's tearing up the charts.

Er... but NSMB *is* an oldschool throwback and selling HUGE (in part) due to nostalgia?

jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
Shonen said:

Er... but NSMB *is* an oldschool throwback and selling HUGE (in part) due to nostalgia?

Nostalgia's a lazy way to look at it. It has the solid platforming action of the SMB games that made them bestsellers. While I like the 3D Mario games, they are too different to have the same appeal (note the sales of Mario Galaxy to the first NSMB).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
Shonen said:

Nostalgia's a lazy way to look at it. It has the solid platforming action of the SMB games that made them bestsellers. While I like the 3D Mario games, they are too different to have the same appeal (note the sales of Mario Galaxy to the first NSMB).

Sure, NSMB's a quality game, but you just can't divorce nostalgic appeal from it's sales.  That's really part of it's DNA.

I'd also say stuff like MegaMan 9 and Konami/M2's ReBirth line are extremely high quality, even if they're more slavishly (and self-consciously) retro.  If they weren't great, they wouldn't be doing nearly as well as they are.

jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
Shonen said:

Sure, NSMB's a quality game, but you just can't divorce nostalgic appeal from it's sales.  That's really part of it's DNA.

I'd also say stuff like MegaMan 9 and Konami/M2's ReBirth line are extremely high quality, even if they're more slavishly (and self-consciously) retro.  If they weren't great, they wouldn't be doing nearly as well as they are.

I didn't state it's not a factor. I'm stating it's wrong to think of it as the primary factor.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
Shonen said:

I didn't state it's not a factor. I'm stating it's wrong to think of it as the primary factor.

I'd prefer not ranking factors, it seems like an effort in futility.  I do feel pretty safe saying were NSMBWii not a Mario branded game though, with all that brings with it, it would be selling a small fraction what it is...

jarrod said:

I'd prefer not ranking factors, it seems like an effort in futility.  I do feel pretty safe saying were NSMBWii not a Mario branded game though, with all that brings with it, it would be selling a small fraction what it is...

That's brand recognition, not nostalgia.

LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:

In (New) Super Mario Bros. case, it's both.  Again, nostalgia is in the game's DNA, from the brand to the gameplay to the marketing.  You can't get away from it.

shovelware sells.

third party probably see that, but the thing is the wii got competition, it's not that it's being ignored, but the PC, ps3 and 360 probably will sell those games better, they are able to push graphics to new highs faster.
while they would be able to get more profits, they loose graphics fidelity, online features, and certain technology breakthroughs. and with this all the hype that usually sells the games. like mw2.
porting games to the wii isn't worth it either because the wii can't handle them, if the wii was abit stronger considering the userbase it would have gotten the games.
thats the problem the wii have with third party.

jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:

In (New) Super Mario Bros. case, it's both.  Again, nostalgia is in the game's DNA, from the brand to the gameplay to the marketing.  You can't get away from it.

Again, I didn't claim nostalgia was not a factor, so the DNA comment is irrelevant (why repeat a comment I didn't even deny, and explictly stated I wasn't). The point is to think it's the main thing selling the game, and that a game with solid platforming and content can't sell such a game (not in those humbers, duh) on the home systems now.