By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA Might Release Even Fewer Games

Release fewer games? So, they are going to concentrate their risk?

It sounds to me like they need a fundamental change in the way they do business. I doubt just hacking off parts of the company is going to help much.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

I love this industry

3rd parties

"The wii doesnt do enough for us to justify developing for it"

Fans

"Bullshit! you dont know what you are talking about!"

letsdance said:
I love this industry

3rd parties

Fans

Thing is, 3rd parties didn't really say that.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
letsdance said:
I love this industry

3rd parties

Fans

3 companies in a week said that.

letsdance said:
NJ5 said:
letsdance said:
I love this industry

3rd parties

Fans

You aren't talking about Ubisoft are you?

jarrod said:
lol... so it looks like Kotaku has taken Guillemot's comments way out of context... stolen from GAF (thnx JJ <3)...

First, the conference call is regarding Ubisoft's first half-year outcome.... which ended September 30th. Ubisoft released their sales data earlier in November for this same period. This is their platform breakdown:
Code:
1st 6-months Breakdown of Sales by Platform

System 2009 2008
DS 23% 37%
PC 17% 14%
PS2 2% 3%
PS3 15% 21%
PSP 5% 4%
Wii 22% 11%
360 14% 9%
other 2% 0%

The Wii is clearly not to blame for their loses, nor has Ubisoft ever blamed the system for their loses.

Second, Guillemot's statement is being over-analyzed and taken out of context. The purpose of that statement was to distract people from otherwise poor results... nothing more. It was comments about recent sales and next quarter's guidance having nothing to do with the rest of the report. Guillemot was not bashing the Wii at all... in any way, shape, or form.

Third, its quite obvious that that article is merely reciting the press release without actually listening to the conference call. Nothing beyond the first page of the release is quoted, nor is any additional information from CC noted. There is a lot information being ignored for this article to reach its conclusion.

Highlights from the conference call:
- It was a pain in the ass to understand. Why can't the french speak better english?

- Ubisoft is not changing the future guidance; it's too early in the season to know how sales will go.

- Regarding AC2... online breakdown is about 55% on 360 to 45% PS3 (although when he first says this it sounded like he said 65% 360 to 45% PS3)

- Regarding Wii software sales... 'some games are meeting expectations, some are not.' They refused to say which titles did what, claiming that they were still waiting for more numbers and that it was too early to know...

- ... They did claim that "Rabbids Go Home is taking off."

- Two investors phrased their questions in a way that would make this thread proud. One called Wii software sales a "malaise," the other saying that the Wii wasn't helping the industry. The Ubisoft reps shot down both suggestions, stating that they expect the Wii to have huge December and that 'the system has a high penetration and can be very profitable with quality software.' 

- Ubisoft expects most of THEIR growth for the next year to come mainly from the 360 and PS3. (Looking at their current results its not surprising)

- 10 Natal and 5 PS3 wand games are currently expected within the first year of each accessory. 70% of those titles will be new IP's. They are focusing on the casual market. 

- New PoP will cater to both hardcore and casual gamers... with 'lots of action' and I got the impression that they were saying that they were going to make it easier for the casual gamer.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
letsdance said:
NJ5 said:
letsdance said:
I love this industry

3rd parties

Fans

No they didn't. Ubisoft didn't, EA Montreal said they'll focus less on the Wii, and I don't know what's the other one you're talking about.

Their financial reports show the Wii is an important part of their revenue.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

EA going belly up would be a good thing. Not because I dislike EA, but it's business practices aren't healthy. It's not just EA it's all the developer studios that rely on EA.

For a gamer it's great that tiny companies can get HUGE funding to make some great games. The problem is that these small companies don't have the money to make these games themselves. So what's the problem? A successful game get's sequels. Typically the sequels will "get better" but often sales/profits will start to go down hill. The studio that may be creative get's stuck developing that game alone. Eventually leading to internal death of the company. Leaving the company only trudging along with their Reputation holding them. Companies like EA cause this via buying them out for their IP. Happens over and over and it should be noted. because of this development style of relient on funding the next flop will near shut them down. The studio goes under.

These aren't isolated cases of EA cutting manpower, studios closing, higher costs of games. They are interlinked with each. It's a rotten core.

So what would happen if EA closed it's door. All those studios under them would need to find innovative ways to make good games that won't bankrupt them. Ea would be gone, but some other companies will fill the vacuum. Life and gaming would go on.

Much like an old forest. A greater stronger forest will grow from the nutrients of the trees before it. The gaming industry is no different. Let the old rotting forest burn so that it can feed a greater stronger forest.

Either EA needs a upheaval from inside. Historicly unlikely or it needs to go belly up.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.