By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA Might Release Even Fewer Games

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Zucas said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
^I see it as a great thing, a smaller EA means they are more susceptible to a big flop, maybe even bankruptcy

But if EA goes out of business that's not good at all.  I mean, I know people have a general dislike for bigger gaming developers, but they are held together by a string of very prominent developers including that of Bioware.  I would be very sad if EA were to ever go bankrupt.

I've never quite understood gamers dislike of big game developers considering MS, Sony, and Nintendo would fall under that category.  I mean they are going to work the same way as smaller developers as well.  I actually think EA does a pretty good job funding the guys under them and keeping things fresh.  Only thing I don't like about them is their constant millking of sports franchises without much changes to them.  Of course with the licensing with all those sports, they couldn't get out of that if they wanted to haha.

EA dying would be a sign of the collapse of the games industry, which imo would be a very good thing.

The big developers are part of the problem, one need only look at the loads of shovelware and the horrible milking of stale franchises to see it

yeah because Nintendo hasn't been milking Mario, Pokemon and Zelda for the last 20 years......

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Ail said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Zucas said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
^I see it as a great thing, a smaller EA means they are more susceptible to a big flop, maybe even bankruptcy

But if EA goes out of business that's not good at all.  I mean, I know people have a general dislike for bigger gaming developers, but they are held together by a string of very prominent developers including that of Bioware.  I would be very sad if EA were to ever go bankrupt.

I've never quite understood gamers dislike of big game developers considering MS, Sony, and Nintendo would fall under that category.  I mean they are going to work the same way as smaller developers as well.  I actually think EA does a pretty good job funding the guys under them and keeping things fresh.  Only thing I don't like about them is their constant millking of sports franchises without much changes to them.  Of course with the licensing with all those sports, they couldn't get out of that if they wanted to haha.

EA dying would be a sign of the collapse of the games industry, which imo would be a very good thing.

The big developers are part of the problem, one need only look at the loads of shovelware and the horrible milking of stale franchises to see it

yeah because Nintendo hasn't been milking Mario, Pokemon and Zelda for the last 20 years......

Those franchises aren't stale, well maybe Zelda might be getting stale (although that's more the direction they've taken Zelda in that has gotten stale, they should get back to basics like with NSMB), but Mario and Pokemon are still fresh

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Confirmed Link: http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSN0151965220091201

So what's causing them to down size?

^Financial losses

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

^ That's a shame even the mighty EA is having a hard time financially.

Around the Network
Zucas said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

If those developers are worth anything (i.e. if they can generate profits), they will definitely survive a potential EA bankruptcy. They will just get bought out by another publisher or buy themselves out and operate independently.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Ail said:

fire everyone working on Wii software and the company would be in much better shape :p).

Bullshit. Their Wii revenue is very similar to their PS3 and 360 revenue. And it's not like they're spending more on Wii games than PS3 or 360 games.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

^Actually I hope they do, retreating from Wii development would be another nail in their coffin

Ail said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Zucas said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Which is bad why.  I don't understand why people have problems with companies milking franchises... especially when they do it well.  It's only smart to continue a franchise that still has life in it.  That's a null argument.  Even further if the company, like EA and Nintendo both do, understand that the continual need for new properties is necessary then why should we get on them.  "Milking" as it is put here is an overused term mostly negative without much thought put into it.  People need to take into account a business perspective as well.

NJ5 said:
Ail said:

fire everyone working on Wii software and the company would be in much better shape :p).

Bullshit. Their Wii revenue is very similar to their PS3 and 360 revenue. And it's not like they're spending more on Wii games than PS3 or 360 games.

Well you are asking for a rational response there which I doubt you'll get haha. 

I'm sure EA could make cuts almost everywhere or cut numerous amounts of games.  Simply cutting off one revenue source is a very primitive way of cutting losses.  You instead want to find where you are losing the most and close the gaps.  Unfortunately, that is mainly going to come from untested and unproven franchises... new IPs.  Safe decisions only and that isn't good for a company but good for a "struggling" one. 

But a fault on both sides.  Gamers want new properties and don't buy them... companies make them and either make them stereotypical, bad (case of a lot of Wii games) or simply don't put the marketing behind it.