By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if Nintendo made a blue ocean FPS?

You're not the only ones to have this idea. There's that water pistol FPS on Wii Ware, and the Fireman shovelware game that's pretty good compared to other shovelware.

This is how I think it would have to be done: something like Unreal Tournament with less blood, intuitive controls, local online multiplayer (like Mario Kart Wii), plenty of game types and ranking only among friends. Bots would be crucial.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

It would fail.

fps isn't blue ocean.
I get your point, but the fps crowd buys fps systems.
Nintendo isn't currently in the market to compete, they are in the market to get people to become gamers.
As far as the idea will allow, a blue ocean fps would be something like pokemon snap. A camera shooter.

peanut1972 said:
It would fail.

Not necessarily, depends on how it was implemented, if they gave it a Wii sports sort of feel it might just work, the archery game in WSR is pretty first person

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

It's the current mold of FPS that is a red ocean. Nintendo would obviously break that mold, the way they have been doing.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I like d21lewis's idea. Robots could keep it sci-fi, and enable requisite FPS amounts of violence without it really being violence. Also making the gameplay less twitchy than most FPSes, since the robots could, concievably, take more damage.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I'd love to see an online Mario FPS, or one with an anouncer giving the play by play (with saying such as "Oh, wow!! What a shot!!" "It may have taken him 60 bullets, but he eventually got the kill and that's what matters," "This guy jumps off the top of a building, does a 180, and shoots the other guy through the window on the story below all while free falling.  Unbelievable," and "He sprayed 3 clips of ammo and still got nailed.  What an embarracing death.").

It sounds more like you want a disruptive FPS than a Blue Ocean one.

Disruptive is the word. And it very well may be a paintball fps in the next Wii Sports - would make perfect sense.

Or.

Perhaps they could do a Super Smash Bros fps? If it had a crazy fun factor, extremely innovative nintendo themed levels which was alive and had some real element to them and some crazy over the top action combined with accessability, like only using the wiimote(w/motion+ and b button for weapons, a for jumping) and the nunchuks add on's analouge stick only for moving around, it probably would work amazingly well.

I have a gut feeling that is actually what Retro Studios is working on atm. If they can make it hilariously fun, Nintendo will have another huge hit on their hands.

I don't know about a Blue Ocean FPS but I could see Retro releasing a new FPS IP. A new FPS from Retro studios would be amazing and they have been working on an onknown project for along time!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer