By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Let's Play Together, VGChartz! Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen

HELLO, GENTLEMEN.

I have music for you!

Ladies and gents, I am calling you into this topic partially to celebrate and partially to help spread the appreciation of one of the all-time underappreciated franchises, Ogre Battle. ideally, this topic is something more than its title: instead of just being for fans of the game and owners of the game, I'd like to use this topic to introduce people to something they may have never experienced otherwise. Let's get started.

What is Ogre Battle?

I am glad you asked. Ogre Battle is a saga of games, the brainchild of Yasumi Matsuno, who you may recognize as the director of Final Fantasy Tactics. It deals with the shape of nations hundreds of years after a cataclysmic war called the Ogre Battle, and how repercussions of that conflict are still being felt in the present. Many people have refeerred to Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII (which Matsuno also directed for a time) as watered down versions of the Ogre saga, and this is true in a sense.

Ogre Battle as a series focuses on national conflicts, on the politics of nations and the nature of what constitutes just or unjust rule. It features a deep and intricate plot, excellently written characters - you know, all that crap.

March of the Black Queen, the game we're talking about today, is the first game in this series, though it's actually the fifth episode in the Ogre Battle story (the early episodes have yet to be produced). It is the basis for all Ogre Battle gameplay concepts, and though it is not neecessary for understanding later games it is still worth playing both on its own merits and for the sake of familiarizing yoruself with this huge, rich world.

So that's what this topic is about: I like Ogre Battle. Lots of people, in point of fact, like Ogre Battle. More people would like Ogre Battle if they played it. So we're going to play together, or talk about the game, or just whatever.

How can I play Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen?

March of the Black Queen is available in several forms, though only one is both readily available and legal. The game was released on the Super Nintendo originally, with a re-release (with tweaked graphics and sound) on the Playstation. Today, the original version is available on the Virtual Console in all regions, so if you want to play the game legally, I would do it there. Otherwise, there's always emulation? But you should really pay for it!

Okay but how does it play?

Ogre Battle is a game unlike any other outside of its own series: it mixes equal parts strategy with RPG elements.  It may be thought that there are three modes of play. The one you will be seeing most often is the overworld mode, where units made up of members of your army move across maps, capturing or liberating enemy fortresses and engaging with enemy units. The composition of your units determines the types of terrain they can move across most effectively, and the day/night cycle makes units either more or less effective based on their alignment (guess when the demons are more powerful). You can control the speed at which the overworld map moves, so if things are too slow you can crank it up a bit and if things get hairy you can slow it down to give yourself time to breathe.

Battle is initiated whenever your unit meets another unit on the field, and battle actions are primarily determined by the placement of the soldiers in your unit. Different actions are taken depending on whether they're stndingi n the front or the back, and you can change their targeting parameters so that they go after the strongest enemy, the weakest enemy, the leader of the enemy unit, or the enemy against which they will do the most damage, probably the most primitive precursor to FFXII's Gambit System.

Character progression works through class trees - a Fighter can become a Wild Man, a Beast Tamer, a Knight, a Wizard, or a Dollmage, and from these can be promoted further along his chosen tree, or even go back and go down a different tree if you so choose. The type of enemies you fight help to determine the kind of warrior you can make, by determining your character's alignment and charisma!

ANYWAY

What it comes down to is this:

Ogre Battle has been surprising people with the depth of its gameplay and the strength of its writing for over fifteen years now, and though it is not for everyone it is deeply loved by all of those who put in the time to play it. It can be legally acquired - through the proper channels - for an almost criminally low price, given its physical rarity and its length and breadth. It is a tremendous game, taking anywhere between 50-80 hours to complete on the first time through, and it is difficult to imagine getting a btter deal for your money.

Those of you who want to play, say tht you're doinng so, and we'll talk about our playthroughs here. Those that don't, feel free to sit around and chat - if you've played the game before, don't hesitate to give out valuable advice. You know how tough this game can be - and how rewarding it is to work out the system.

Who would like to play with me?

Let us sit and talk!

WAAAAIT! I need help! This game is hard and I don't know what's going on!

Well okay then! Here are some quick and easy tips that will help you survive long enough to learn the ropes, and may help you play like a pro!

All tips and tricks are by noname2200 and myself, and are listed according to complexity rather than authorship.

The Simple Stuff:

Put your leader character - the one you named - in the back row of your unit, regardless of the kind of fighter he is. Early on he's very fragile!

Spell-casters in back, melee in front. Spellcasters use their magic most effectively in the back, and melee units attack more often up front.

Try to keep a cleric in nearly every unit, especially early in the game (they restore HP).

A unit in a town recovers HP fairly quickly. Standing on towns is therefore the best defensive position for most units!

Put out as many units as you can reasonably afford! You want all of your units to level more or less evenly, and more units means that you have more chances to turn back the enemy if one unit is knocked out!

If you don't know how to deploy units, then you press Y while on the level map, select "deploy unit", and select the name of the leader of the unit you want to deploy. You'll be able to confirm which unit it is before you deploy it.

You can build and take apart units in the "Edit Units" screen on either the world map or the level maps, but in levels you can only do it with units you haven't deployed yet.

A unit whose leader has been killed will automatically retreat to its army's home base - this includes your own units. You can change the leader of your unit if they're able to lead (basically any human unit that isn't a Fighter or Amazon can lead), but enemy units will always retreat all the way back to their base when the leader is dead.

Capture or liberate as many towns and temples as you can. All of them provide tributes every day at noon, which gives you money to keep your army running. If you have all the towns on a map and spend wisely, you will almost never run out of money!

Intermediate Stuff:
You can set your combat Tactics, Retreat, or use Tarot cards by pressing A during battle! You will hear a beeping sound if the press registered (if it doesn't, just keep pressing!) and then you will be able to select what you want to do. The battle freezes while you do this, so no rush.

Think of there being two different games: the strategic and tactical maps. The strategic one is where you move your units around. In this game, enemies tend to zoom in on your base, so in the early stage stick close to home (keeping your guys in the cities!) and repel them that way.

One important thing to remember: if an enemy loses its leader, it will retreat to its base and rebuild itself completely. So a good tactic is to pincer them: keep most of your guys close to your base, send one or two around the enemies' flank, and then have those units hammer any survivors that are retreating. Once that's done, move them out of the next way of the next wave, and repeat the process. These hit-and-run tactics are made easier with flying units.

Another thing about the strategic map: enemies will often try to retake any city you've taken. Use this to your advantage, as you know where most of them are heading!

The tactical phase is when you're in a fight. You may have noticed that you don't tell individuals what to do. Instead, you can only do three things: use a Tarot card, retreat, or issue one of four general orders: Best, Leader, Weak, and Strong.

"Best" means they try to do as much damage as they can to the enemy unit.

"Leader" means whoever can hit the enemy leader tries to do so.

"Weak" means they pick on the enemy with the least amount of health.

"Strong" is the opposite of "Weak."

You can get a new Tarot card whenever you liberate a city. They all have different effects, but only one of them can ever hurt you (Sun).

You can retreat at any time, but you lose a point of charisma for every character in the retreating unit.

nteresting fact:

If you select Strong as your strategy, you will both inflict and take less damage.

If you select Weak as your strategy, you will both inflict and take more damage.

Strong may be the best strategy to use early on, not only because it allows you to take down enemy units more decisively but also because it will make your own units survive for longer!

Note, though, that this is not the case for boss fights. In boss fights you should always set your strategy to Leader, because beating the enemy unit's leader in a boss fight will win the level!

Characters need to be at a certain level before they can become different classes: Amazons become Clerics at level 4, making them the earliest and easiest class for low-level Amazons to become.

Early on in the game, it's worth it to use characters like Dragons or Gryphons on the front line because they have really high defense.

Equip items that you find! They are potentially very powerful, and will make your life a lot easier. You can see what a given item does by pressing Select on the Use Item or Equip Item screens.

Advanced Stuff:
The only way to kill undead is with white magic. High-level Knights who have become Paladins have white magic within their swords so they can attack as normal, but most units just bounce off of them. The easiest and best way to get rid of undead is with Clerics: if your tactics is set to Weak, Leader, or Best, the Cleric will use her turn of Healing to attempt to eradicate all of the undead in an enemy unit.

If you have Charisma to spare, do not be afraid to run when appropriate. If you have two of your units standing on a town and you are attacked by an enemy unit, you may weaken the party but not kill them - or you may kill the leader btu not anybody else, which means they'll retreat to their base - and generally that means that the enemy will get pushed back when they lose the fight, and if they run you may not be able to catch them. But if you select the "Flee" option at the end of the battle, your unit will get pushed back and the enemy unit is left within direct range of your second unit.

There, that should be enough to get your started! If anything else needs to be added, I will edit it in.

Players:

Khuutra
Soriku
noname2200
Kasz216
MontanaHatchet
shakarak
benao87
Procrastinato

Around the Network

I've been playing through this game during lectures all semesters. And I'm barely about to recruit Debonair!

Not sure how this works... but sure. I just gotta dig out my copy.

Kasz216 said:

There's no specific structure to it. Everyone plays at their own pace and talks about the game as they play.

I, for example, am playing one mission per day.

One thing that strikes me about this game - I started, as many did, with Ogre Battle 64 - is how the enemy loot is completely randomized. In Ogre Battle 64 this was not so - each enemy unit would drop a specific thing when completely destroyed. Took the sense of discovery out of it your second time through, but it kept things balanced.

This game does not seem to have done that.

I have only completed four (4!) missions, and I already have two swords that give +15 Strength or better, a Dragos for turning my Beast Master into a Dragon Tamer, and a Crown. A Crown!

A Crown, for those not in the know, can be used on the Amazon (the most basic female class) to turn them into a Princess, which is maybe the most powerful unit in the game.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Kasz216 said:

There's no specific structure to it. Everyone plays at their own pace and talks about the game as they play.

I, for example, am playing one mission per day.

Ah fair enough... it should also be noted there are many different endings... making the hours have even more value.

I think i'll go with the evil bastard route. 

Oh and a good tip for new players.  If you get a Princess unit by getting a crown and using it on an amazon... make that character a leader.

It grants every unit of yours an extra attack.

Also the Princess unit RULES.

Khuutra said:
One thing that strikes me about this game - I started, as many did, with Ogre Battle 64 - is how the enemy loot is completely randomized. In Ogre Battle 64 this was not so - each enemy unit would drop a specific thing when completely destroyed. Took the sense of discovery out of it your second time through, but it kept things balanced.

This game does not seem to have done that.

I have only completed four (4!) missions, and I already have two swords that give +15 Strength or better, a Dragos for turning my Beast Master into a Dragon Tamer, and a Crown. A Crown!

A Crown, for those not in the know, can be used on the Amazon (the most basic female class) to turn them into a Princess, which is maybe the most powerful unit in the game.

Hah, beat me to it kinda.  Yeah I remember when i've found crowns early... so happy every time.

That and when i'd make Ninjas.  Just because there attacks looked so cool.

This game is on my TOP 5 games of all-time!

Oh wow, Ogre Battle? I remember that from the N64 days. Criminally awesome, sweet memories. :')

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Is it COMPLETELY randomized? Because I stuck her in Lans's unit, made her the leader, and they butchered no less than four enemy units in a row, with no breaks and no healing inbetween. It was incredible. That stuff is potentially gamebreaking early on! The idea of having two is kind of chilling.

I keep getting surprised by this game, though. I started off thinkign it was really barebones and clunky.... but the more I play the smoother and more comfortable it it. It's like playing Person of Lordly Caliber all over again, for the first time.