By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Project Natal to replace remote controls

Source: www.gamesindustry.biz

Microsoft: Project Natal to replace remote controls

The forthcoming Project Natal motion control technology could replace the television remote control in the future, automatically scheduling content according to the people in a room, according to comments made by Xbox Live general manager Marc Whitten.

Speaking at the Streaming Media West show, as reported by Yahoo! Tech, Whitten described the increasing number of video applications - which includes Netflix in the US and Sky Player in the UK - on the Xbox 360 as the "biggest surprise" of his job.

Whitten also predicted that the increasing range and number of sources for video content required a new, easier to use controller than the traditional remote control - and that Project Natal was well placed to take over this role.

"With the flick of my wrist I can change a channel," Whitten said. "With the power of my voice I can start a movie."

"I don't believe we are currently in the golden age of the television or the golden age of the game console or the golden age of the Internet; frankly, five years from now I don't know that you'll be able to tell the difference between those worlds," Whitten added.

With the number of channels and content sources constantly increasing Whitten also suggested that in the future content would be organised according to brands and/or the user - with additional content being suggested automatically.

"The context is not 1 billion channels, but one," Whitten said. "One channel, with what I want, when I want it."

Around the Network

They're going to start using this for televisions. But I always get this funny sense of a democratic process being jumped over.

We have survaillence increasingly now, if someone decides to switch the political plug from love to fear we're gonna have a dictatorship so technological, it will never be overthrown. I sincerely doubt something so resisting will be left untouched, in fact I can see them salivating already.

It sounds like irony when a console company, that doesn't even provide a web browser with its system, praises internet with games consoles.

Anyway, that sounds much like what Iwata said in 2006.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Sounds awkward. I don't want to yawn and pause my movie or scratch my head and suddenly be watching My Little Pony instead of The Dark Knight.

I don't think that shouting at the TV to raise or lower the volume is a good idea. Doing hand gestures isn't much better. I admire their ambition, but I don't see the remote control going away any time soon.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Sounds awkward. I don't want to yawn and pause my movie or scratch my head and suddenly be watching My Little Pony instead of The Dark Knight.

knowing microsoft.

Television is headed down this path so it's not really a surprise that MS is interested in trying to have a platform that can control it.

Damn, wanted to be in before the haters.

Too late now.
Cant see how it could tell between random movements and the gestures.

What haters? I meant what exactly wrong with using a remote control? What is exactly so hard about pushing a button to change channels?

what MS is catching up to what I said come release of this device. I called it months ago :P

Though I have to admit that a poor version of the Wiiremote could also be implemented. But I see Natal style becoming the next general interface. It's more convient when you can't lose the controller :)

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.