By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony should skip the next console iteration

nitekrawler1285 said:
Cypher1980 said:
I dont think they can risk a console skip.

Every gen so far has seen the first to launch sell more consoles than they can make in the first year.

Graphics are a system seller, they shouldnt be IMHO, but they are. The PS3 graphics are pretty much on a par with the 360.

Can they realistically keep tabs on the new machines which will be capable of 1080p at 60 fps with full AA and effects in real 3d.

Well maybe I think this gen has shown that at 1080p the graphics are not so much different to 720p which lets face it is this gens defacto standard.

However if MS are first to market expect

Full Backwards compatibility as they will not switch from a winning formula with Power PC and Ati

Inbulit motion control via Natal or someother device.

A resurgence of HD DVD but in a slightly different form. (A killer for piracy that one)
This has a bonus of allowing Devs to release 360 games and enhanced graphics nex gen games on the same disc.

HDD in all versions of machine.

Put simply the new machine will no matter what the differences in reality give the impression that SONY is selling a tired machine.

Add to this the general feel good factor of a population coming out of a WW recession and I reckon the call of revenue will be to much for SONY to resist.

I don't remember the 360 having shortages.  

The Wii and DS selling like hotcakes show that other appeals than graphics can sell your product.

HD DVD wont stop piracy. That HD Dvd player will read DVDs and hackers will to the rest.  I have seen PS3 games on torrent sites(don't know how they are playing them though)

This is why I want Sony to fight for the portable sector and not the home market.  They can profitably fight and if it works it's good reward.  On the home console front I don't see how they can stop Nintendo and M$. especially if M$ plans on releasing early again.

Yeah the 360 was sold out for about 4 months from launch. They simply could never manufacture enough for the initial surge.

The 360 had shortages the Wii had major shortages and the PS3 sold well but its high price made for a unique situation with some being left on shelves for the early adopters who could afford 600 US

Around the Network

I hate these threads, its so stupid for a consele maker to site out a generation, they would lose all their market share and no one would car for their next consele. Emagine if sega made another consele? they only company that can think of siting a generation out is nintendo because they are targeting a different market

here to stay here to stay here to stay here to stay here to stay here to stay here to stay  here to stay here to stay here to stay here to stay here to stay here to stay here to stay here to stay here to stay here to stay

this thread is BS

This gen just started in 2004.... Hopefully the 8th gen wont start until 2013.

Sony doesn't need to rush into 8th Gen. They can use the PS3 to lag them, because it wont become as dated as the others, and all the people who've already bought 360's and Wii's probably wont be so willing to update by 2011, let them get some use from their systems. Nintendo's already going to loose out on casuals, because they'll be least likely to upgrade, as they'll probably still be satisfied with wii fit. And, some of the casuals have taken interests in gaming, but, who knows what system they'll upgrade to.

Maybe a lot of them will jump over to the PS3 when GT5 comes out saying "I can't believe this is a game.." My grandmother was over yesterday, and didn't notice I was playing Need for Speed Shift demo until near the end of the race. A neighbor was over a while ago, and couldn't believe the graphical quality of GT5. So, who knows, maybe when people see what the PS3 was actually capible of, they'll be more understanding of the 600 dollar price. That's when you tell 'em it's 299...

They don't need to skip the next gen, but, there's no reason why they can't wait a year or two, and just sell PS3s until people are willing to upgrade.

Wow @ thread. PS3 now has a 15 year life span confirmed.
PS3 launched with $600 price tag. 3 years on now $300.
It would be a stretching it, if it ends up selling for 10 years.

Around the Network

The early adopters/tech enthusiasts who bought the PS3 at the start and make up a large proportion of the install base aren't going to still around for 6-9 years for their 'investment' to pan out. They are the early adopters and you start to lose those people as soon as the next new thing comes in. That could be new technology being released in the PC space or it could be a new console releasing from a competitor. The number of consoles sold may continue to rise, but the number of active users will peak probably a year or two from now.

Tease.

No way man that would be the worst move ever to sit out unless they can't afford to make a new console.

Sony lost enough market share this gen without sitting out another gen. plus All the Sony fans who stuck with playstation will go to microsoft next gen and may never come back to sony.

We wont see a PS4 for a long time

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

first new console ll be new x box. I think natal ll be released with new console, it is the best desition for MS,months later we ll have wii2 and ps4 in the market

Metroid: Other M

Sony could easily cripple Microsoft's next system by simply not letting them put a bluray player into it. Bluray is sure to become bigger and bigger and will be a much larger factor in next gen consoles. On the flipside they could let them put it in the console and cash in on it. Either way people who say PS3 has made so many mistakes and it was overpriced and all of this garbage are simply not aware of all the facts.