By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 60 Million Wii's before Christmas?

5 weeks to years end and Wii have sold 57 millions right now. 3 millions to arrive at 60 million mark, selling aroun 500 k every week that will be some acurate, but the holiday boost can make this and more..so I vote for yes!!

Around the Network

And last year I predicted that it would sell 72 milj. by the end of 2009 and my prediction was actually pretty low compared to others. Something like 64-65milj. is still fantastic result for so young console but a lot less than most of us last year thought it would do.

^Yeah I expected much more, then again I don't think anyone expected such a bad year for Wii software

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Arfen said:
5 weeks to years end and Wii have sold 57 millions right now. 3 millions to arrive at 60 million mark, selling aroun 500 k every week that will be some acurate, but the holiday boost can make this and more..so I vote for yes!!

It could actually do 600,000+ a week up to xmas, It's most likely done over 600,000 last week with NSMBwii out in USA and another 600,000 this week.  it will top 58.02 million before December.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

KillerMan said:

And last year I predicted that it would sell 72 milj. by the end of 2009 and my prediction was actually pretty low compared to others. Something like 64-65milj. is still fantastic result for so young console but a lot less than most of us last year thought it would do.

same here (around 75-77m myself I believe). Nintendo really dropped the ball this year with the Wii. They were doing fantastic with constant sellouts and then sales just plumetted due to a lack of must have games coming out for quite some time.

Don't get me wrong, there were tons of good games, but not a lot of must have games.

Anyways, we have 6 more weeks of sales (obviously less real time, but sales reports lag) between now and Christmas (26th). Wii hit 500k last week and it is only up from here. We'll probably see something like

700k, 1.1m, 900k, 1.3m, 1.7m, 1.1m

for a grand total of 6.8m units sold through Dec 26th, for 63.5m sold total. The week following Christmas should see ~500k, so 64m sold by 2010.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

more like 64 million i´d guess

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

nordlead said:
KillerMan said:

same here (around 75-77m myself I believe). Nintendo really dropped the ball this year with the Wii. They were doing fantastic with constant sellouts and then sales just plumetted due to a lack of must have games coming out for quite some time.

Don't get me wrong, there were tons of good games, but not a lot of must have games.

Anyways, we have 6 more weeks of sales (obviously less real time, but sales reports lag) between now and Christmas (26th). Wii hit 500k last week and it is only up from here. We'll probably see something like

700k, 1.1m, 900k, 1.3m, 1.7m, 1.1m

for a grand total of 6.8m units sold through Dec 26th, for 63.5m sold total. The week following Christmas should see ~500k, so 64m sold by 2010.

Nice numbers norlead, I only excpected wii to top 62 million before 2010 but those numbers are pretty reasonable, with black wii and NSMBwii to help, 

DS owners who don't have a wii but have NSMB will surley buy a wii for NSMBWii, plus there are black wii bundles with NSMBWii at a low price.  Do you think DS could top 120 million before 2010? I expect them only to do 118 million at the least. 

Will there be a big party on VGchartz when Wii tops NES sales?

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

last year, from November 15th to the end of December, it sold 7.3 million. So even if we consider the 15% average YOY drop it's been having since the price cut, It should still at least sell 6 million which would put it at about 62 million at the end of the holidays.

defo, NOTHING CAN STOP THE WII ! lol
the new black one is making be buy one soon as have the money!

looks like I was a little on the high end of potential Wii sales, so using mortono's info we can guess 62-64m sales, which seems reasonable to me.

As for DS, 6m sales should be easy enough for it to break 120m units.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)