By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you wish the wii had unified online?

^Would it really benefit them? How much would they gain for the costs of creating an online experience like the PS3 or 360?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Boneitis said:

Well a lot of the Wii fans do use the online services. I feel many just don't want to admit the friend code system is garbage. Perhaps if the Wii online services were more personalized and didn't require lots of numbers more people would use it. You on the otherhand, for whatever reason, are completely anti-online play. With that said I don't understand why you are even giving your thoughts on this matter.

Because of people like yourself. You assume online is a requirement for every gamer. This is due to the sort of gamer attracted to the internet gaming boards. I stick out like a sore thumb in this crowd, but not so much in the larger console population. I want to say less than half of Wii owners go online at all. The numbers are not much better for the 360, PS3, PSP, or DS really. My thoughts are essential to understanding the way Nintendo handles it because I fall into a very large group of players. The fact that you continue to insist it has to be a refusal to admit friend codes are bad shows how ignorant you are of the needs of that market.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gamerace said:
I don't need or want 360-esque online features on my Wii, however all games should use your Wii system code instead of individual friend codes for each game.

It does piss me off that NSMBWii doesn't support online because that's one game that certainly would have gotten a lot of online use.

Wii Speak is also horrid, a headset would be nice.

that.

don't need chat or other stuff, just not to have to add friends to every single game...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

@Avinash
MS and Sony are making motion controls, Ninty should make a shot across their bows with superior online, ok maybe thats asking too much lol, but something similar in architecture would be a good start. This would make it easier for developers to make those multi-player, multi-platform, mainly online games WITHOUT putting too much effort into a Nintendo specific codebase. This benefits Ninty where they are ready for any online heavy game for have a Wiix port.

Take Monster Hunter 3 for example, why is Capcom charging players for online in Japan and seriously considering charging for the rest of the world? Would they need to do this on other consoles?

Convenience for players is also a very good reason.

Don't forget all those that want NSMBW to be online capable, if it has this ability, how will we find players online? Search the internet for friend codes randomly where people might not even be on or go to one place provided by Ninty specifically for this type of thing and look for the NSMBW queue?

If you think 10 years into the future, can any system be relevant without strong online? MS has a strong base in online, they are a software company after all. Ninty should improve their online system to compete better, to provide a better way for developers to make multiplat online heavy games for Wiix and to provide customers with more value.

Ok I'll stop here, need a take a bath, see if more reasons pop into my head ^^

Gnizmo said:
Boneitis said:

Well a lot of the Wii fans do use the online services. I feel many just don't want to admit the friend code system is garbage. Perhaps if the Wii online services were more personalized and didn't require lots of numbers more people would use it. You on the otherhand, for whatever reason, are completely anti-online play. With that said I don't understand why you are even giving your thoughts on this matter.

Because of people like yourself. You assume online is a requirement for every gamer. This is due to the sort of gamer attracted to the internet gaming boards. I stick out like a sore thumb in this crowd, but not so much in the larger console population. I want to say less than half of Wii owners go online at all. The numbers are not much better for the 360, PS3, PSP, or DS really. My thoughts are essential to understanding the way Nintendo handles it because I fall into a very large group of players. The fact that you continue to insist it has to be a refusal to admit friend codes are bad shows how ignorant you are of the needs of that market.

You fall into a group of people who shouldn't have an opinon on this matter.

I'm discussing how online gaming can be more appealing to the Wii market. You feel not enough people use it (including yourself), so it doesn't matter what they do.

Friend codes are garbage, everyone hates them whether they want to admit it or not. I'd rather have this discussion with someone who plays games online.

Around the Network

@Scruffy I'm certain they will build up an online service when its truly profitable and has the potential to affect their sales and if they can do it so its safe, but right now I think they don;t see it as wroth the money, I think they feel that letting Sony and MS waste the money at the moment while they watch is the smart idea.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
^I'm certain they will build up an online service when its truly profitable and has the potential to affect their sales and if they can do it so its safe, but right now I think they don;t see it as wroth the money, I think they feel that letting Sony and MS waste the money at the moment while they watch is the smart idea.

I don't know about Sony. But its safe to assume Live has been extremely profitable for MS.

Eitherway, I'm talking about dellivering a more personalized experience where you can use the same profile in all games. Possibly see what your friends are upto and other features like that. It doesn't have to deliver everything PSN and Live offer.

^Thing is, MS has had to charge for live, and its far from safe, this is not what Nintendo is trying to pursue

Avinash_Tyagi said:
^Thing is, MS has had to charge for live, and its far from safe, this is not what Nintendo is trying to pursue

That's very true... but you said Sony and MS are wasting money with their online services. Thats far from true in regards to MS.

Either way, I'm not asking for Nintendo to deliver as much as Xbox Live. But there can be a better system than friend codes.

Boneitis said:

You fall into a group of people who shouldn't have an opinon on this matter.

I'm discussing how online gaming can be more appealing to the Wii market. You feel not enough people use it (including yourself), so it doesn't matter what they do.

Friend codes are garbage, everyone hates them whether they want to admit it or not. I'd rather have this discussion with someone who plays games online.

How absurd. Unless improving online would increase sales, and thus profit enough to justify the expenditure then there would be no reason to do it. If people like me make up a majority then that is even less incentive. My opinion is as critical as any others from a business perspective. You must know how the entire market will react.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229