By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Informer’s top 200 games of all time

Why don't they just create a list where all 200 are number 1? Then everyone would be happy...

But Uncharted 2 should REALLY be further up the list. Come on guys, let's be honest with ourselves here

Around the Network

No way anybody is pleased with this list. They could make a list called "Three games we thought were fun" and people would be mad about their favorite game's absence. 200 games NEVER should have been attempted.

By console (this gen):

PS3:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

BioShock

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Grand Theft Auto IV

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Fallout 3

Rock Band 2

Portal

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Metal Gear Solid 4

Team Fortress 2

Borderlands

Assassin’s Creed

LittleBigPlanet

Peggle

Braid

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Infamous

Wii:

Super Mario Galaxy

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Xbox 360:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

BioShock

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Grand Theft Auto IV

Mass Effect

Fallout 3

Rock Band 2

Portal

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Gears of War

Team Fortress 2

Borderlands

Call of Duty 2

Assassin’s Creed

Crackdown

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

Peggle

Braid

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

More fails:

Bioshock (360/PC)? It's also on PS3...
Oblivion (360/PC)? It's also on PS3...
Mass Effect (360)? It's also on PC...
Left 4 Dead (PC)? It's also on 360...
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS3/360)? wtf?
Portal (360/PC)? It's also on PS3...
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3/360)? It's also on PC...
Gears of War (360)? It's also on PC...
Assassin’s Creed (PS3/360)? It's also on PC...
Peggle (PC)? It's also on PS3 and 360...

Maybe they were listing the definitive versions?

Around the Network
Boutros said:
More fails:

Bioshock (360/PC)? It's also on PS3...
Oblivion (360/PC)? It's also on PS3...
Mass Effect (360)? It's also on PC...
Left 4 Dead (PC)? It's also on 360...
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS3/360)? wtf?
Portal (360/PC)? It's also on PS3...
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3/360)? It's also on PC...
Gears of War (360)? It's also on PC...
Assassin’s Creed (PS3/360)? It's also on PC...
Peggle (PC)? It's also on PS3 and 360...

Portal (as a one game) was ony released on X360/PC.

d21lewis said:
Maybe they were listing the definitive versions?

I'm sure Vice city looked AMAZING on the PS3/X360.......... 

Onyxmeth said:
Sambo2612 said:
Even though it's a pretty crappy list overall, good to see Doom get some lovin' at 6 and Goldeneye at 32. One thing I've never understood, what's the big deal with tetris? You play it once then you move on. How can you say it's got more 'lasting appeal' than all those other games?

1. The big deal with Tetris is that it popularized the puzzle genre. There's puzzle games after Tetris, and there's...what before it?

2. You may have somehow played Tetris once and moved on. I've played Tetris off and on for 20 years and still haven't figured out how to move on for good. Care to tell me your secret?

3. Tetris has more lasting appeal because it doesn't end...ever. It only ends if you happen to lose. If you never lose, it never ends. It's the game that mimics real life the most. You're given one chance and you ride it until you die. Other games will coddle you with endings that show your success. The ending of Tetris is your failure. It's negative reinforcement is how people have come back to it again and again.

Tetris is easily my third favorite game of all time (behind FFVI and Chrono Trigger) and that is a game I can easily waste hours on without even realizing it. 

I probably have dozens of flash versions of Tetris bookmarked across several computers, the orifinal Game Boy version (2 actually), the NES version, the DS version (my favorite), the XBL version, Tetris Worlds, and even a disc based one for the 360. 

Tetris is a *fantastic* and without a doubt deserves to be that high on the list.  It's really just a perfect game and one of the rare games that they've tweaked in the past 20 odd years and actually made better (Tetris DS).

Oh, I found this thread. It might explain why the Wii is so forgotten in that top 200:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=41241

chrono trigger #17 FFVII #15, tetris gran theft auto and metroid before them what a joke of a list