By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Informer’s top 200 games of all time

I kind of like the top 20.

my biggest beef though is that secret of mana is not in the top 200... which to me means fail (it's in my top 10)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

This list vastly under represents the classic era.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Plus, they put in PopCap games but nothing from the Intellivision.

Mike from Morgantown (again)

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Onyxmeth said:
ctalkeb said:
twesterm said:

But Tetris has been improved beyond just play control.

• You can now hold blocks
  • Some modes have items
  • T-spins
  • Ghosting
  • Sliding
  • Multiplayer
  • different game modes (push on DS is genius)

But are those really improvements, or are they like adding machine guns to chess?

Some of these are just ways to make the game easier. Essentially they're no more of an improvement than a health bar in Contra would be.

I admit, some of those are pretty minor, but they are still improvements that helpy greatly.

• holding blocks - COMPLETELY changes things
  • T-spins - another pretty significant change if you can do them, especially in multiplayer
  • sliding - essentially means you don't die

And don't get me wrong, I agree that Tetris is a near perfect game that people will still be playing in 100 years and probably still be close to the same thing.

WTF? i love Silent Hill 2 but cant be over MGS 4 still both games should be top 20 god damn it thats why i hate lists like this one

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Wass said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 at 108. Laughable.

Don't hate.  Just because you don't believe the game is good enough to be so high up the all-time list doesn't mean GI has to feel the same way.

Dude, do u have a p s3?

twesterm said:
Onyxmeth said:
ctalkeb said:
twesterm said:

• Some modes have items
  • T-spins
  • Ghosting
  • Sliding
  • Multiplayer

But are those really improvements, or are they like adding machine guns to chess?

Some of these are just ways to make the game easier. Essentially they're no more of an improvement than a health bar in Contra would be.

I admit, some of those are pretty minor, but they are still improvements that helpy greatly.

• T-spins - another pretty significant change if you can do them, especially in multiplayer

And don't get me wrong, I agree that Tetris is a near perfect game that people will still be playing in 100 years and probably still be close to the same thing.

My point is that I think all three of those things have made Tetris worse, not better. Each had made the game just a little bit easier.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
twesterm said:
Onyxmeth said:
ctalkeb said:
twesterm said:

• Some modes have items
  • T-spins
  • Ghosting
  • Sliding
  • Multiplayer

My point is that I think all three of those things have made Tetris worse, not better. Each had made the game just a little bit easier.

Hmm, I agree sliding made it worse (I hate in multiplayer games the people that will just slide for five minutes trying not to die) but I think holding was a HUGE step forward that added a layer and t-spins are just fun.

twesterm said:
Onyxmeth said:
twesterm said:

Hmm, I agree sliding made it worse (I hate in multiplayer games the people that will just slide for five minutes trying not to die) but I think holding was a HUGE step forward that added a layer and t-spins are just fun.

Well there was huge criticism at holding when it was first implemented. I don't know how the reaction is years later, but there was a lot of negativity at first claiming it made the game too easy. I wouldn't just claim it made it worse based on my own opinion. Others had the same reaction to it.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Boutros said:
blunty51 said:
Looks like they went with the first in a series being the better game

True...

That's why Uncharted 2, Jak III and Crash 3 are in that list while Uncharted 1, Jak 1 and Crash 1 are not. rofl

Oh, uhh, forget I typed that.

I made a swooping assumption based on SMB and Zelda