By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bluray = better graphics?

Bluray = better graphics?

Around the Network

Not exactly.. You see, Blu-Ray has larger storage capacity, which means, theoretically you could store more detailed/textured images in a the disc, but if you don't have the CPU and GPU to back it up, you would be unable to render these images on your TV. Something else you need to take into consideration is the fact that blu-ray disc speed is like 2x right now, compared to DVD drives which are around 8x - 16x. This is very important, this is why some PS3 games have slower loading times than 360 games. If, one day, Blu-Ray drives equal or surpass the drive speeds of DVD drives then you will see a significant leap in textures, loading times, etc. Basically, the speed limits the amount of information the laser can access at once.

Blu-ray allows for uncompressed textures which helps. It's probably the reason Dragon Age ended up superior on the PS3

Lurker said:
Blu-ray allows for uncompressed textures which helps. It's probably the reason Dragon Age ended up superior on the PS3

I disagree...

While correct in saying that bluray can be used to store more detailed textures, it is rarely the case due to PS3s video card and PS3 memory. The RSX is not as good as the ATI chip in the 360. Also ps3 is stuck with 256 system and 256 video memory. 360 has 512 unified that can go both ways.

Whats the point of having more detailed textues on the disc when the PS3 can't load them in to memory and process it with the video card?

So no bluray does not = better graphics

however bluray does = manditory installs for some games and a 600 dollar system price tag at launch. It also lets you watch movies on disks that are similar to DVD'sin shape but output video in 1080p... :)

DaBuddahN said:
Not exactly.. You see, Blu-Ray has larger storage capacity, which means, theoretically you could store more detailed/textured images in a the disc, but if you don't have the CPU and GPU to back it up, you would be unable to render these images on your TV. Something else you need to take into consideration is the fact that blu-ray disc speed is like 2x right now, compared to DVD drives which are around 8x - 16x. This is very important, this is why some PS3 games have slower loading times than 360 games. If, one day, Blu-Ray drives equal or surpass the drive speeds of DVD drives then you will see a significant leap in textures, loading times, etc. Basically, the speed limits the amount of information the laser can access at once.

Blu-ray 2x = DVD 8x

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Lurker said:

I disagree...

While correct in saying that bluray can be used to store more detailed textures, it is rarely the case due to PS3s video card and PS3 memory. The RSX is not as good as the ATI chip in the 360. Also ps3 is stuck with 256 system and 256 video memory. 360 has 512 unified that can go both ways.

Whats the point of having more detailed textues on the disc when the PS3 can't load them in to memory and process it with the video card?

So no bluray does not = better graphics

however bluray does = manditory installs for some games and a 600 dollar system price tag at launch. It also lets you watch movies on disks that are similar to DVD'sin shape but output video in 1080p... :)

We're not specifically talking about the PS3. But Blu-Ray in general.

Not better graphics per se, but when devs can do what Naughty Dog does and actively streams the game off of the disk while playing, magical things can happen.

The GPU/CPU are what produces the image displayed on the machine, so not really. mostly texture quality is determined by the memory available to the GPU.

I've heard of texture streaming of the disk, but it reads a lot slower then off the ram, so you get a pop-in effect I believe.
Most games haven't really been pushed datawise on a DLDVD so there won't have been any need to compress the textures for the DVD.

The main advantage of blu-ray with graphics is just you can have more textures on the disk or higher resolution, but as said unless you have the hardware to render these. it makes no difference.
An example would be. say your looking at a single room at a time, you could have each room having a different texture which would make the game more diverse, then having every room look the same, but if you could see lots of rooms at the same time, all these textures would be too much for the GPU to display.
Thats how i understand it would work anyway

X2 blue ray isn't quite comparable to X12DVD, so to say 6times faster.

Blu-ray 2x: 72Mbp / 8MBps
12x DVD: 66 - 132Mbps / 8.2 - 16.5MBps

source http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/profile/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=23916169&user=skektek

Edit:

ps3 is stuck with 256 system and 256 video memory. 360 has 512 unifie

I believe the PS3 GPU can use the system memory as well? the 360 also has the 10MB of embedded memory, which I believe helps alot.

Yes, the ''Crysis'' power graphics = use blu ray dish ,..lol

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡

it could mean but in general the purpose of it is the ability to have bigger and longer games...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4