By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VG CHARTZ widgets,

Thank you apple, you have made my day, the new tool in safari will let you make widgets out of items on a webpage, so now i just hit f12, and have the numbers, current forum topics and so forth.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

Yeah, but you still have a Mac. Just give it 6 months, MS will copy it better.

twesterm said:
Yeah, but you still have a Mac. Just give it 12 months, MS will copy it.

Fixed. 

And that's so awesome. Is this Safari 3.0? Because if it is, I'm still going to wait til Leopard to get it.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

twesterm said:
Yeah, but you still have a Mac. Just give it 6 months, MS will copy it better.
give it a week, and firefox will have five add-ons with this functionality but better

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Don't you have to get Vista to get the widget rip offs on Windows? (what are they called again? gadgets?)

So don't you have to subject both your computer and yourself to abject torture just to wait for the inevitable windows rip off?

If that's not the case, I apologize.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

yeah safari 3.0

little scissor icon... really cool

also gotta say time machine is far better than i ever thought it would be... mac's for work (well game here too), MS for play, all i do in windows is game, and have a 360

I dont know why but firefox has been like mollases since it updated itself last 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

stof said:
Don't you have to get Vista to get the widget rip offs on Windows? (what are they called again? gadgets?)

So don't you have to subject both your computer and yourself to abject torture just to wait for the inevitable windows rip off?

Whatever you have on your mac has been available on Linux for a long time.

omgwtfbbq said:
stof said:

Now don't get me wrong, i love linux, and my main computers run linux (the only thing that runs something else is my dualbooting OSX/XP pro laptop)... but that's just wrong.  Adium is by far the AIM program to beat on any system that I have used... Kopete is the closest I have found on Linux, and Trillian on PC.  IMO, of course, and if you know a program on linux that is as good as Adium I would love to know it, because the main reason I even have my laptop on ever is because Kopete annoys me.

Also, I have yet to use a media player I liked more than OS X's version of VLC.  The windows and linux versions just are not as easy on the eyes, and the linux one at least lacks a full-screen controller.  I haven't watched movies on my windows partition in a long enough time that I won't comment on it. 

Furthermore, I don't care what you say, rsync is not in the same LEAGUE as time machine. It has its uses, and I use it extensively, but in terms of ease of use? Not in the least.  If time machine gets people to use backups, then all the more power to Apple; an easy *incremental* *automatic* backup solution is something that should have happened a long time ago... rsync comes close, but is not nearly easy enough to set up that Joe Q. Public will use it and have it be effective.

That said, linux does have its strong points in terms of stuff that *isn't* really available on a mac.  KTorrent is by far tied for the best torrent program I have used (with µTorrent).  Macs have Transmission.... and Transmission (and Azeureus)  Transmission doesn't support encryption yet; that means that those whose ISPs packet shape (cough comcast cough) will be SOL if they use it to download, say, the newest Kubuntu distro (can you sense the bitterness here?)

So yes, Linux is awesome - but saying that *everything* is available on linux is patently wrong. 

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

I already have my VGChartz widget =P Now I can check console sales with a single button click!

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

alpha_dk said:
omgwtfbbq said:
stof said:

Now don't get me wrong, i love linux, and my main computers run linux (the only thing that runs something else is my dualbooting OSX/XP pro laptop)... but that's just wrong. Adium is by far the AIM program to beat on any system that I have used... Kopete is the closest I have found on Linux, and Trillian on PC. IMO, of course, and if you know a program on linux that is as good as Adium I would love to know it, because the main reason I even have my laptop on ever is because Kopete annoys me.

Also, I have yet to use a media player I liked more than OS X's version of VLC. The windows and linux versions just are not as easy on the eyes, and the linux one at least lacks a full-screen controller. I haven't watched movies on my windows partition in a long enough time that I won't comment on it.

Furthermore, I don't care what you say, rsync is not in the same LEAGUE as time machine. It has its uses, and I use it extensively, but in terms of ease of use? Not in the least. If time machine gets people to use backups, then all the more power to Apple; an easy *incremental* *automatic* backup solution is something that should have happened a long time ago... rsync comes close, but is not nearly easy enough to set up that Joe Q. Public will use it and have it be effective.

That said, linux does have its strong points in terms of stuff that *isn't* really available on a mac. KTorrent is by far tied for the best torrent program I have used (with µTorrent). Macs have Transmission.... and Transmission (and Azeureus) Transmission doesn't support encryption yet; that means that those whose ISPs packet shape (cough comcast cough) will be SOL if they use it to download, say, the newest Kubuntu distro (can you sense the bitterness here?)

So yes, Linux is awesome - but saying that *everything* is available on linux is patently wrong.

interesting you pick adium, since it's based on the open source libgaim libraries (now known as libpurple) which debuted on Linux for the gaim (now pidgin) im program. VLC as well, since it is an open source cross platform media player which is available on all three major platforms (no idea which it debuted on though). Also, funny how you point out time machine and then go on to say linux has an equivelant (rsync, which has been around since 1996)

You have bascally proven my exact point. All these things you have mentioned were either on Linux first or (actually in all cases) developed by some small-time open source developer to be cross platform. Apple have on strength, and it is not in inventing new features, no matter what 90% of Apple fanboys will say. Apple takes features from other platforms, and makes the interface simple and polished. Almost every amazing new feature is developed by some random guy with a great idea and is implemented as a third party add-on for mac/windows/linux. The open source nature of Linux means many of these features get quickly built upon and integrated if it's good. 

Of course, the nature of open source development is that most development happens "to scratch an itch", and developers tend to write programs for themselves rather than other people. As such, these programs tend to be powerful and functional first, and easy to use (where easy to use = pretty gui) second. Apple takes these ideas and polishes them up. Microsoft then takes these ideas and bollocks them up. Saying every single little feature is available on Linux is of course wrong, but I would say almost every major feature in mac osx has been available on Linux in some form or another for years previously.