By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 7 and gaming

So after all the hype of this new OS, I finally installed it W7 Ultimate x64, and I don't really get the big deal. It's an uglier version of Vista, and don't see the advantages... What am I missing?

It's already been proven that Vista actually runs games better with higher FPS, why should I keep this OS and not go back to Vista Ultimate? 

The Halo francise is the most overrated bland game to ever hit the console market. It provides a bad name to all FPS that even showed effort at creating an original entertaining plot.

I probably have more ps3 games than you :/ 

Around the Network

Can you send a link to something that proves that Vista has higher FPS in games?
Because I was thinking of having W7 on my new PC.

Win7 is faster than Vista in most games according to MaximumPC.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review?page=0%2C3

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Tagging this thread. Will post for why Windows 7 ?> Windows Vista (for gaming and otherwise) when I get home in 40 minutes.

Btw what are your machine specs?

darklich13 said:

Win7 is faster than Vista in most games according to MaximumPC.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review?page=0%2C3

I'm sorry but I don't take anything from somebody who's clearly proven to be bought out several times in their publishing history.

www.guru3d.com is who I've been following for years, along with other user-based test/modding sites. Yes they said they liked it, but with no performance increase there really is no reason for me to see why I should stay... Windows 7 (as I've been saying all along) is Vista with a different skin. 

http://www.guru3d.com/article/windows-7-vs-vista-vga-game-performance/10

The Halo francise is the most overrated bland game to ever hit the console market. It provides a bad name to all FPS that even showed effort at creating an original entertaining plot.

Around the Network

The article you just posted is dated August 14, 2009. At the time Windows 7 wasn't out yet and graphics drivers for Windows 7 were still in beta stage. Since then the drivers have gotten better from both ATi and nVidia (although I will admit they still sort of suck) but they give on par performance to Vista in gaming despite Windows 7 being early in its life.

Looking forward to it Prite.

My specs are:

4gb DDR3 1600
i5 750
260 GTX Core 216
750w Corsair PS
1tb Sata
22" 1680x1050 monitor

Excuse the monitor though, I got it 4-5 years ago when 22" was the first reasonably priced large LCD, hence the lack of 1080p.

Just a basic gaming PC.

priteshmodi said:

The article you just posted is dated August 14, 2009. At the time Windows 7 wasn't out yet and graphics drivers for Windows 7 were still in beta stage. Since then the drivers have gotten better from both ATi and nVidia (although I will admit they still sort of suck) but they give on par performance to Vista in gaming despite Windows 7 being early in its life.

They said in the article though they are using the finalized build, not test drivers or beta drivers. 

I heard that Vista is usually about 3 FPS faster and in certain (rare) cases even more than 15 FPS faster.
However I have no problem running any game on the highest possible settings (well except for Crysis) so I don't care about 3 FPS more or less.

The final build of Windows 7 yes but the drivers from ATi and nVidia for Windows 7 were still a first attempt for both companies at the time. I know nVidia released new drivers for Windows 7 in late October which supposedly increase performance in many recent releases by ~10% over the first round of drivers (at least that's what it states on their release documentation - I take it all with a grain of salt).