By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony aims to be profitable in gaming and TVs by March 2010 - March 2011

0cton said:
who cares by that times 100 hz tvs will cost just like normal flats do now :)

Yeah but TVs last for many years. People will still own regular HDTVs at that point, and 3D is probably not going to cause a mass upgrade... basically 3D TVs will be as rare, or more rare than HDTVs were when this console generation began.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

my tv support 3D so its a good news for me.

NJ5 said:
0cton said:

Yeah but TVs last for many years. People will still own regular HDTVs at that point, and 3D is probably not going to cause a mass upgrade... basically 3D TVs will be as rare, or more rare than HDTVs were when this console generation began.

I would have thought that 3D would be a much bigger draw than HDTV. It's a pretty big step, compared with HDTV just being clearer resolution. Don't get me wrong, the difference between SD and HD (such as The Dark Knight on DVD vs Blu-Ray) is massive, but 3D is a much bigger step imo.

GreyianStorm said:
NJ5 said:
0cton said:

I would have thought that 3D would be a much bigger draw than HDTV. It's a pretty big step, compared with HDTV just being clearer resolution. Don't get me wrong, the difference between SD and HD (such as The Dark Knight on DVD vs Blu-Ray) is massive, but 3D is a much bigger step imo.

HDTV is better resolution, a flat and light screen and a bigger TV. For many people I think it's actually the flatness and size that got them to upgrade, not the HD.

3D TVs are just HDTVs which can do 3D... it could be a pretty big success or not, it's too early to tell.

Oooh goody, I have a 100hz samsung. So does that mean I'm 3D ready?

Around the Network

Any reason to think they can't reach their forcast 20% market share for LCD TVs?

Tease.

Are they gonna lower resolution to get their 100 FPS? cause games barely do get the 60FPS as it is...

Either he talks of PS4 or there's something really screwed up in releasing a major upgrade to a 6 year old piece hardware... (2013)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Squilliam said:
Any reason to think they can't reach their forcast 20% market share for LCD TVs?

How much market share do they have now?

I could only find figures for Q1 08 in America, it was 12.7%:

http://hd.engadget.com/2008/05/09/samsung-reclaims-throne-in-latest-lcd-market-share-report/

NJ5 said:
Squilliam said:

How much market share do they have now?

I could only find figures for Q1 08 in America, it was 12.7%:

http://hd.engadget.com/2008/05/09/samsung-reclaims-throne-in-latest-lcd-market-share-report/

I saw other makers like Samsung I believe state they were moving up in the rankings. Its quite a lot of market share and its a difficult improvement especially with makes like Vizio and Samsung especially doing quite well at present. But still I don't know how their current lineup is performing.

Tease.

They don't expect the company as a whole to be profitable until 2013.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-targets-profitability-by-fiscal-2013