By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony aims to be profitable in gaming and TVs by March 2010 - March 2011

1) Can one buy a TV now that will ensure that your not left in the dust IF 3D becomes big!?

2) In that article there were talks of a 3D Bravia. What is the difference between current HD TV's and a 3D TV?

PS. I would HATE to have to spend another ~$1000 on a TV in order to be on the cutting edge.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
1) Can one buy a TV now that will ensure that your not left in the dust IF 3D becomes big!?

2) In that article there were talks of a 3D Bravia. What is the difference between current HD TV's and a 3D TV?

PS. I would HATE to have to spend another ~$1000 on a TV in order to be on the cutting edge.

1. Yes. Make sure its at elast 120 HZ refresh rate if its LCD. Some projetion TVs work too like Mitusbishi and Samsung models from 2008/2009.  You don't need 240 HZ...that is just overkill at this point.

2. No difference other than the refresh rate. stadard LCDs have refresh rate of 60HZ...those are regular HDTVs

Now is time to buy the thicker LCD tvs. the new LED TVs are coming out and the thicker ones have some crazy discounts...

I thought the PS3 was a 4D system from day 1?

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

disolitude said:
Dr.Grass said:

1. Yes. Make sure its at elast 120 HZ refresh rate if its LCD. Some projetion TVs work too like Mitusbishi and Samsung models from 2008/2009.  You don't need 240 HZ...that is just overkill at this point.

2. No difference other than the refresh rate. stadard LCDs have refresh rate of 60HZ...those are regular HDTVs

Now is time to buy the thicker LCD tvs. the new LED TVs are coming out and the thicker ones have some crazy discounts...

From what I read not any 120 Hz TV is enough. It has to be one that actually accepts 120 Hz input through HDMI. Some 120 Hz TVs are actually just inserting internally generated frames in between the real ones.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

So is this good?

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
disolitude said:
Dr.Grass said:

From what I read not any 120 Hz TV is enough. It has to be one that actually accepts 120 Hz input through HDMI. Some 120 Hz TVs are actually just inserting internally generated frames in between the real ones.

lol. Really? Wow...yeah do avoid those models! If a Tv is capable of refreshing 120 times per second, there is no excuse for it not being able to take 120 hz signal.

disolitude said:
NJ5 said:

lol. Really? Wow...yeah do avoid those models! If a Tv is capable of refreshing 120 times per second, there is no excuse for it not being able to take 120 hz signal.

I saw that today in an article, it's at least something to keep an eye out for. Here it is:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=656

Because of the large amount of data that must be processed as the resolution increases larger panels are prohibitively expensive and I think it will be well into 2009 that we see larger true 120 Hz panels on the market.  Keep in mind that while you have seen other 120 Hz LCD TVs on the market most do not accept a 120 Hz input over HDMI and are in fact only taking in a 60 Hz signal and inserting frames between the content to increase quality.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I expect to use my TV for another 8 years at least. I guess I will pass on the 3D gaming for a while.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

NJ5 said:
disolitude said:
NJ5 said:

I saw that today in an article, it's at least something to keep an eye out for. Here it is:

Because of the large amount of data that must be processed as the resolution increases larger panels are prohibitively expensive and I think it will be well into 2009 that we see larger true 120 Hz panels on the market.  Keep in mind that while you have seen other 120 Hz LCD TVs on the market most do not accept a 120 Hz input over HDMI and are in fact only taking in a 60 Hz signal and inserting frames between the content to increase quality.

I see... Yeah my TV is the last DLP samsung from 2008 and those are certified "3D ready". So I guess the best advice is to look for "3D ready" certification somewhere on the tV.

disolitude said:
NJ5 said:
disolitude said:
NJ5 said:

I see... Yeah my TV is the last DLP samsung from 2008 and those are certified "3D ready". So I guess the best advice is to look for "3D ready" certification somewhere on the tV.

thanks guys. Man, things change fast in the techno world. Looks like Sony's stocks will be well worth buying as they're quite low at the mo and sure to climb with the Blu Ray and PS3 and 3D success *sure* to come.