By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Was this Sony's best month yet?

Words Of Wisdom said:
FOOD88 said:

Seriously, my wallet is hurting and it's not even November yet.

I think the PS3's continuous games drought is over hereinafter, and it's only going to be getting better now it seems. What do you guys think?

Welcome to the world of video games.

Still, I think most console owners are going to share this sentiment minus 360 owners since they've had a library for quite a while. As the generation moves forward, all systems are going to be getting more games and, more importantly, better games. Good news for all video gamers alike.

True, true, but I have a deep, vague feeling that somehow the brand name will compensate for the seemingly significant lack of titles in comparison to the competition. I wish I had the link, but I think Sony changed their minds about the delay of Singstart PS3 from 08 to December. I think a good party title like Singstar PS3 can do the trick in December for the PS3.

Sony's PS3 did absolutely all it could last holliday season, but there's not telling how much in can do this holliday season because I doubt there will be a supply constraint like last holliday season. It has also brought me to the attention that many polls scattered throughout the web (CNET and such) seem to be favoring the PS3 as the most wanted gadget compared to the PS3's competition--for the most part, I mean. Maybe the pricedrops and new SKU will finally fill the void for a lot of people. Maybe the end of the world will be in 2012...

But of course, speculation is nearly meaningless until time proves it so or not.

Around the Network
FOOD88 said:

Seriously, my wallet is hurting and it's not even November yet.

Folklore - The only place I find it to be pretty acclaimed is IGN, but IGN's review is by far the most in depth review so far. So a 9.0 is well suited for it, in my opinion. Folklore has a great story...nuff said. BTW: Probably the only game out so far that really used to sixaxis without it being much of a gimick or over emphasizing the implementation like Lair.

Everyday Shooter - A work of art, seriously. At first I felt I was ripped off with another Asteroids or Super Stardust HD knockoff, but boy was I wrong. A few more minutes into the game and I finally realized it was great. I don't know quite exactly how to explain it, but it's like an invigorating and sometimes soothing piece of abstract art. I think the game is amazing, let alone, the only guy who developed it. Kudos to him for a well made piece of art. I seriously haven't played a work of art like this since Shadow of the Colossus.

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction - Just fun in its purest form. I swear, launching a plasma monster and watching it annihalate other space criters is just hystericaly funny and pleasing. This is just a great game, I recommend it to mature people and youngsters alike.

The Eye of Judgement bundled with PS Eye - I've never been a fan of card games, but this one is pretty solid. Simple, easy to learn, and just overall solid. While some people think the joint with the PS Eye makes it a gimick, I find it almost necessary to have it kinda regulate what's going on to avoid cheaters and what not. I find it to be a good ingenious idea. A lot of people can't get into card games because there's just no interaction...The picture, the card, the ink...it's just there. Not anymore, it jumps out in the screen and you see what those monsters could really do. I think it's cool overall and I can't wait for the Trials of Topoq.

I think the PS3's continuous games drought is over hereinafter, and it's only going to be getting better now it seems. What do you guys think?

I'm not so sure - I think its launch month (in Europe anyway) was better. Of the 4 games you listed, only R&C matters to most people. Folklore has pretty much flopped, and from what I have read EoJ isn't living up to expectations/potential.

Compare to the launch period (Resistance, Motorstorm, Oblivion, ???) and this may be the 2nd-best month.

Still - more games are good, and if you are enjoying yourself - nothing else matters. Its all about entertainment in the end ;) 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Maybe the best week up to now... except for the launch week like shams said. But that won't last long if you consider the games coming are way soon enough.

I dont think anyone expecting EoJ to sell well. But, yes the PS3 and PSP had a great October.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I don't expect EoJ to sell that bad, maybe not as high as it could because of R&C but I don't think the sales will be that bad...

Around the Network
cool48 said:
I don't expect EoJ to sell that bad, maybe not as high as it could because of R&C but I don't think the sales will be that bad...
If the sales do end up being somwhat bad I'd think it would because of the supply constraint. So far from what I've read in the official PS forums it seems that PS Eyes with The Eye of Judgement seem to be scarce. I went through quite an effort to try to find mine.  Both EB Games and Gamestops in my area were sold out before I found mine in a  Super Target.

How much is the PS Eye with and without EoJ?

stranne said:
How much is the PS Eye with and without EoJ?

It is 39.99 alone and 69.99 with EoJ.

@ FOOD88 

You know, i get the feeling that brands don't defend products anymore. It's the other way around this time. I mean if brands actually would make people just come and buy it then Coca-Cola wouldn't have flopped with New Coke, or for a better comparison, Nintendo wouldn't have flopped with N64 or Gamecube.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

FOOD88 said:

True, true, but I have a deep, vague feeling that somehow the brand name will compensate for the seemingly significant lack of titles in comparison to the competition. I wish I had the link, but I think Sony changed their minds about the delay of Singstart PS3 from 08 to December. I think a good party title like Singstar PS3 can do the trick in December for the PS3.

Sony's PS3 did absolutely all it could last holliday season, but there's not telling how much in can do this holliday season because I doubt there will be a supply constraint like last holliday season. It has also brought me to the attention that many polls scattered throughout the web (CNET and such) seem to be favoring the PS3 as the most wanted gadget compared to the PS3's competition--for the most part, I mean. Maybe the pricedrops and new SKU will finally fill the void for a lot of people. Maybe the end of the world will be in 2012...

But of course, speculation is nearly meaningless until time proves it so or not.

Truly, as the titles in development prior to the launch of the Wii/PS3 start to fade out and newer titles start to come into view I think we'll have a much clearer picture of the future. The rumors are rampant about how cheap making a Wii title is, how difficult and costly making a PS3 title is....etc, but exactly how much this will matter is subject to debate. If Sony can truly crank out a really sweet dev kit for the PS3 that eases this burden and perhaps drop the price further as technology becomes cheaper (not by removing parts like the EE or GS chips), the PS3 may get back into the race on this competitive factor at least.

As for the brand carrying the console, I think to some extent this is true. I'd expect most of the launch sales and even a good portion of the console sales up to this point have been based on brand. Basing it on the current game lineup as it is now or was previously sure wasn't the major factor. The problem is that the mentality of the PS3 being a dud is spreading. Sony really needs to overcome that before it's too pervasive to shake off. Much akin to how the 360 needs to shake off their FPS/Sports only karma and the Wii needs to shake off the "kiddie's and soccer mom's" mentality. Out of all the consoles in this problem, it looks like the 360 is having the most success largely in part to Microsoft supporting other genres directly. Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, and Mass Effect are good examples.

Speculation may or may not be meaningless but it is enjoyable.