By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ( PCWorld ) Why The Wii Needs an HD Visual Upgrade

famousringo said:
Apparently I have not known what it means to hunt collectibles until I have hunted those collectibles in HD.

HD is really moving game design forward.

Yeah, I just found that out as well! Man, what've I been doing for the last 20 years?! :o How could I ever have managed without HD.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Mummelmann said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Mummelmann said:

Wow, I said all non HD games in history were crap, did I? Where? I happen to think that the best games ever made are mostly all from the early 90's PC era. I'm simply stating that HD is part of the natural development in visual and audiovisual processing. So maybe you don't hate HD but only the idea of games in HD, but why? Are HD movies and HDTV signals also redundant? Of course, many claim that its already "good enough" but where would we be in terms of technology if people sat on their asses and said that all the time instead of pushing forward?
I don't see the offensive article filled with lies that others do, I see a guy saying that HD is the future (and present) and part of a natural development cycle, like color television or broadband internet.
Its just as natural and you can't build and release a console that doesn't take this into consideration and expect no one to point that out.
I know the guy who wrote that piece is usually a troll but he's right about Reggie needing to stop whining, he can't go around pointing fingers at everyone save for his own employer, its not a great big conspiracy, its technology and business (cue Avinash or some others saying "then how come no one makes money on HD consoles...").

I wasn't going to say that, I was going to say, that if its about business, then isn't it cheaper and easier to put out games with last gen visuals on the Wii?  I mean look at RE4 Wii edition, sold well over a million I believe, and yet its not HD, in fact it was a port with some improvements, That's money in the bank for Capcom, why create the flop that was RE5, on the HD consoles, when they could have made the same game better and cheaper on the Wii?  If you say Wii must have HD, then you must have hated earlier gen games, and if you liked them, then waht is stopping companies from making games like that on the Wii?  If its business, then it should be easy, Wii is cheaper to develop for, and you can probably use assets from earlier gen games to make a Wii game, saving time and money.  Companies do lose a lot of money on the PS3 and 360, for what, so they can make games with shiny graphics?  That's not smart business.

You're a broken record Avinash, and calling Resident Evil 5 a flop makes you look silly, it has sold nearly 5 million on PS360 so far with a small installed base. In comparison (hard to compare directly though), The Conduit on the Wii has sold a measly 300k on by far the biggest installed based (yes, its a new IP but you can hardly call 300k impressive by any measure) and you call RE 5 with 5 million sold a flop? Come on. And did you read the post you quoted? I never said I couldn't enjoy games that aren't HD, like I stated above, the best games ever made (imo) are from the early 90's PC golden era but technology moves forward and I can accept that. HD is a technological advancement as is proper motion controls, in that regard perhaps all three consoles are lacking. Besides; I'm glad I don't play my games in 640X480 with no filters or effects any more, its only natural to move forwards. Why not have both HD and motion controls? Cars advance all the time from the T-ford, making them safer, more sturdy and with better handling and comfort, that doesn't mean we shouldn't also refine the engines and make them more efficent as well. And when you can't see anything other than "games with shiny graphics" as if that's all there is to offer on the HD consoles I don't see much reason to take you and your posts very seriously to be honest.

A flop compared to RE4, which sold over 6 million, and was cheaper to make, hence more profits.

Yeah, I can understand tech moving forward, but when the market doesn't want to move forward at the same pace, as shown by the Wii sales, then the companies need to realize that and move as the market wants, if the Market isn't ready for a new type of engine, you have to slow down and stick to the old kind or make something more in between.

I have to agree with him. Avinash, you're a broken record. Why do you waste your time writing such nonsense? We regularly see articles where company X declares that it's hardest to score a hit on the Wii. You're having what's called an 'attached-argument'. No matter what anyone tells you your just going to keep spewing up this BS.

EDIT: People like you just love using the exception (RE4) to prove your own rules.

^ Its hardest to score a hit on Wii for third parties because tmost third parties don't develop quality games on the Wii.

Look at Nintendo a series of really huge hits, so scoring a hit on Wii isn't a problem the fault lies in poor third party efforts

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Wii needs to go HD so it can get games with annoying fetch quests?

Hey how about people stop making quests where you have to find 100 feathers, or 100 orbs or whatever in general?

I mean those quests suck and the first person i meet who says they like those quests will be the first.

Other then that... he's just wrong... i've never had a problem identifying things from far away in games in SD.

^reminds me of this video

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1923420

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
dorbin2009 said:
HappySqurriel said:
richardhutnik said:
Garnett said:

The Wii doesn't need HD resoultion, it needs non-lazy developers to dev for it.

Look at the Condult, an Excellent looking game.

IF COMPARED TO THE PS2 OR ORIGINAL XBOX.  Do you think The Conduit holds up to any PS3 or 360 top of the line FPS, outside of maybe Halo?

Does any PS3 or XBox 360 game stand up against what is possible on a $2500+ PC today? Are you rushing out to buy a $2500+ PC?

Bad analogy is bad.

The difference is that the Xbox and PS3 can handle most of the titles being played on that 2500 PC , albiet at a lesser quality. The editor is trying to say that some games flat out cannot be made on the Wii.

Or maybe this is another Wii hate conspiracy, though it is getting tiring and slightly annoying that Wii fans insist that these are unfair criticisms made at their system. The Wii has an install base of 50 million +, do you really think a developer is going to avoid making games for it based on semantics?

He's also completly wrong on that point.

We never heard much of "the 360 and PS3 need motion controls", but it's them who are getting motion controls before the Wii gets HD...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
We never heard much of "the 360 and PS3 need motion controls", but it's them who are getting motion controls before the Wii gets HD...

And some have deluded themselves into thinking that's a bad thing for the Wii, not proving the Wii was right to go with that control.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Well I agree to be honest. He's not saying that gaming as a whole needs to be HD, but if you want to whine about why you're not getting these core, graphically-dependent franchises, then you need to beef up. You all won't admit it, but there are certain games out there that need good graphics. "Graphics isn't everything" is getting old. It is sometimes a necessary complement.

blunty51 said:
Well I agree to be honest. He's not saying that gaming as a whole needs to be HD, but if you want to whine about why you're not getting these core, graphically-dependent franchises, then you need to beef up. You all won't admit it, but there are certain games out there that need good graphics. "Graphics isn't everything" is getting old. It is sometimes a necessary complement.

If there are there have yet to be any actual real examples given.