By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Super Mario Galaxy Thread

Every review that says "The two player controls seem meaningless and tacked on" clearly haven't used it for more than 2 minutes. None of them ever seem to notice that the second player can hold enemies by holding the A button on them, something that player 1 can definitely not do on his own, and something that is incredibly useful in some circumstances.

I played two player with my girlfriend helping (she sometimes sits and watches me play, it's really great that she can be a part of it and help me). I don't understand why all these people say that it's tacked on, even docking marks for it. I think they really nailed the co-op, it's perfect for getting help from people who aren't dedicated gamers.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:
Every review that says "The two player controls seem meaningless and tacked on" clearly haven't used it for more than 2 minutes. None of them ever seem to notice that the second player can hold enemies by holding the A button on them, something that player 1 can definitely not do on his own, and something that is incredibly useful in some circumstances.

I played two player with my girlfriend helping (she sometimes sits and watches me play, it's really great that she can be a part of it and help me). I don't understand why all these people say that it's tacked on, even docking marks for it. I think they really nailed the co-op, it's perfect for getting help from people who aren't dedicated gamers.

Clearly, these reviewers are lacking a girlfriend to help with the tackling; Hence, the tack-on. 

I've only gotten to the second galaxy and already this is my favorite Wii game. The music, graphics and art are incredible. Then there's the gameplay, wow. SMG is the rebirth of the 3D platformer!

The difficulty however is pretty easy so far. Only 50 coins or stars for an extra life! I like how you only have 3 hit points though. Before Mario had 4 hit points to his life and some enemies only took half a point.

Mario 64 and Sunshine were both fairly easy at the start but get really hard by the end of the game. I actually never got all 120 shines in sunshine, some of those were very frustrating to get.

I hope Galaxy passes Ocarina of Time as the #1 game on gamerankings. There's no other game that would deserve it more.

WiiU Network ID:  the_Ultros

PSN: Anthaleigh

Xbxox Live:  campblood1980

BenKenobi88 said:
fkusumot, go troll somewhere else. A couple friends and I, one of whom hates motion controls, loved this game. There's only one move that requires motion controls, it's just a quick waggle to spin attack...and the pointer is not a chore at all. The pointer eliminates the chore of running to go get star pieces. It feels great...in fact I love every time those star pieces appear...it's a great piece of a positive reinforcement...like delicious candy. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Err... you did realize he was just quoting that crappy variety review?

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

Super Mario Galaxy is obviously selling well in Austin, Texas... I was at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Toys R Us yesterday and all three were sold out. I understand Toys R Us because of the $25 gift card... Walmart had 5 or 6 rows of empty slots that were labeled Super Mario Galaxy and they were all gone... Same at Best Buy...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

super mario galaxy is pretty sweet. while it doesn't have that amazing new feel that sm64 had cuz it was the first 3D one, it does a lot of things better than either of the previous 3D marios. the graphics are amazing, the water effects are out of this world. wii maybe can't hold a candle to 360 and ps3 in terms of realistic graphics but when its cartoony like this its absolutely breathtaking. i love the variety of the levels too, feels like smb3 and i can't wait to get more power ups (when i see that first fire flower i might just cry). the sound and music is absolutely the best of probably any nintendo game ever, certainly any mario. at first i thought the game was decent but its quickly growing on me, i'm maybe like 10 stars in. the sweets level was awesome, specially since it had old school music. and one of the other levels had classic mario music that i love. defintely pretty easy but there have been a couple levels so far where i've died a few times. but yeah tons of extra lives to get.

the control is a little off, especially that turn-around jump. control doens't feel as good as mario 64 just to move mario around. i like the motion control levels, adds nice variety. and using the pointer to pick up star bits is actually really nice and useful so you don't have to run after them, i thought it would be retarded but its a good addition. my only gripe besides the controls are i wish the levels had more enemies in them. that would raise the difficulty and just create a lot more action. i feel like in all the 3D mario and zelda games there aren't nearly enough enemies and usually they are way too easy, nintendo has yet to rectify this. i'm guessing i will continue to like this game more and more as i play through it, so far its good but i'm definitely missing the difficulty and sheer number of baddies and other things to avoid/kill like in the old 2D games. a few hours in i'd give it an 8.0 right now, although its getting more and more fun as i go.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

That egg plant music sounded like it would fit nicely in one of those non coartoon disney movies...like the goonies or something.

Or E.T would have fit (not disney though)

The Sweet Sweet Galxy star was pretty challenging and it's one of the first stars. The only reason it's impossible for this to surpass SM64 is simple. That one set the rules, this is building on it. Mario 64 changed gaming forever, arguably the first real 3D worlds in a game.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

This game is way better then mario 64...

I have about 15 stars and I am really enjoying myself. You never feel like you are doing the same thing twice. There is a lot of variety in this game. The worlds are so far very different and the boss battles are great.

The first time I ever played mario 64 was about 7 months ago... maybe that has something to do with it?

BenKenobi88 said:
fkusumot, go troll somewhere else. A couple friends and I, one of whom hates motion controls, loved this game. There's only one move that requires motion controls, it's just a quick waggle to spin attack...and the pointer is not a chore at all. The pointer eliminates the chore of running to go get star pieces. It feels great...in fact I love every time those star pieces appear...it's a great piece of a positive reinforcement...like delicious candy. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

look closer at his post

To Each Man, Responsibility