By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do you decide when and which consoles to purchase?

As the thread subject suggests, I'm just wondering how you guys decide when and which consoles to purchase? For example, what's your reasoning for purchasing a console on launch day? The company's past performance? The console's potential? Current game selection? I don't own any of the next gen consoles yet. I'll hold off until one of the consoles has a large enough selection of games that suit my interest. A large enough selection of games is typical 4 or 5 must-haves. For myself, that is the only factor that matters when deciding to purchase a console. I go where the games are. What about you?

Around the Network

for me, definitely the current game selection and anticipated games. i dont care as much about graphics. it doesn't mean anything if the game is not fun.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

I'm definitely big on 'the experience' this is why I'm a sucker for big pretty RPG's. I play games on my PC more than anything else, always have, always will. FPS and RTS I love probably the most (RPG's are up there) and the PC gets most of them (mouse keyboard :)). In the past I have purchased all of the consoles within a year of launch, I got the Dreamcast at Launch, GameCube at Launch, Xbox at Launch and PS2 2 years after launch. It's different this gen though because things are so much more expensive this time around. Price is also a massive thing for me... I don't own a 360 or a PS3 yet, but I do own a Wii because it was easier to afford... however I don't really like it that much because I'm quite sick of all the games for it... I need some of the games coming later in the year honestly, because at the moment the thing sits there collecting dust or playing VC games. Next console I will likely buy will be the 360 because it's getting to the point where there are enough really good games to justify that price, I'm definitely a graphics whore and can't get enough of good graphics... I have kept myself away from looking at Gears of War actually running so far because I know as soon as I see this baby I'm going to finally plonk down the money for a 360. The only thing is I don't want to buy a 360 with the change of getting a Red Ring model... everyone I know who has owned one so far has experienced this, so to me that makes it a 100% certainty that it will happen. Bring on the Elite Model for me! PS3 I will probably get eventually, but there are less and less reasons that this console appeals to me quite honestly. This might end up being the only generation of recent times that I haven't bought a console across it's life. If FFXIII goes to 360 then I doubt i'll ever pick one up unless some seriously good RPG's come to that, however Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon should be enough to keep me happy on 360 for a while when they come out. When it comes down to it, it's all about the games that are available, a lot of the 360 games I want to play are coming to PC so that slightly talks me out of getting a 360 until the RPG's arrive... if Gears of War was to come to PC any time soon (it will eventually) that'll hurt the 360 until some major price drops for me.

For me, I'm a total fanboy and I will unquestionably get a Wii. I'm the kind of gamer who likes to play "different" games. For example, If I've played one FPS, I've played them all, for the most part. Games like Halo, Gears of War, Resistance, or Medal of Honor really don't appeal to me much, as they're all the same game. Even a game like Red Steel doesn't appeal to me, since the sword play isn't a true 1:1 motion to screen relation. I go out of my way to buy those crazy japanese games, because they're fun, and i like getting the reaction from my "casual gamer" friends, since their reaction is usually something like "wtf" I own unconventional games such as Jet Grind Radio, Chu Chu Rocket, Space Channel 5 (for my Dreamcast, of course), and Animal Crossing for my cube. I knew I was going to get a Wii once I heard that there was a cooking game and a surgery game coming out for Wii. I will probably get a Wii when I get enough money. I know its cheap compared to the likes of PS3 and 360, but 250 bucks is still 250 bucks, and I would like to get at least 1 extra controller and one extra game for Wii (so maybe Wii + WiiPlay + Game for ~350 bucks). I plan on saving up for the next couple months and I hope to bring myself to pulling the trigger and making an investment on the Wii. A lot of you guys here seem to have no problem picking up games and systems and stuff. How much money do you invest in gaming per month? ::EDIT:: I heard Viva Pinata was a pretty awesome game for 360. I'm sad its an exclusive title :(

Games Games and games? and value (I don't like PS3 because of its price) Have never bought a consol from day one, I go for wait and see.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network

That Guy said: A lot of you guys here seem to have no problem picking up games and systems and stuff. How much money do you invest in gaming per month?
i rent games before i actually buy it, and when i do buy the rented game, it's discounted since it's "used" i probably spend no more than 200 dollars a year on buying the actual games? consoles are a different thing. i get it when i get it. it's almost a long term investment since i do not expect it to bomb out on me within a year.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

I'm a total Nintendo fanboy, so i buy every Nintendo product when it comes out... Same goes for Wii... (Now playing, the godfather... = Rather good game )

THE NETHERLANDS

I find it sometimes hard to justify throwing down even 50 bucks for a game. I'll grab a new game if its one of those "greatest hits" million seller titles that are discounted, or I'll buy a used one at a reasonable price. Perhaps if I had more disposable income (i.e. money for non-essential stuff), then I could invest more in videogames. But as it stands, I'll scrap from the bottom of the barrel for my games My neighbor is totally into the EBGames "trade in 3 used games for 1 new game" deal, so he buys a bunch of games, and then when he gets tired of them, he does the trading in. I think that's a lot of money, IMO. I think what I'll do is once I get a Wii, I'll offer to pay him 50% for the games he decides to trade in anyways. That way, I get my used games cheaper, and he gets more money than if he was going to trade them in (75 bucks cash vs. 50 bucks store credit)

I'll usually have at least one console in each generation (typically the first), and also a Nintendo console (as I love the games). That aside - its based on uniqueness, and how unique the games are that come out for that console. Cost is also a definite issue - cheaper is always better. That said, I'll tend to blow money on getting a console at launch (sometimes too much) if I really want it. I may end up with a 360, apart from that its all Wii for Mii from here...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

That Guy said: A lot of you guys here seem to have no problem picking up games and systems and stuff. How much money do you invest in gaming per month?
Last gen I probarbly have spend less than the cost of a PS3, I think that says everything. Of course I was a student then and didn't have that much money. I will probarbly spend more this gen, but honestly I am probarbly spending more money on books then I am spending on games.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!