By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Booth: PS3 misconceptions and spin

I am a casual gamer and some of your threads are interesting, but hard to follow.  (You guys know you stuff)

This article:  http://jbooth.blogspot.com/2007/10/ps3-misconceptions-and-spin.html

explains in lay term why we have not seen PS3"s supposed raw power.

I can see why Sony might be losing exclusive titles and that some games look better on 360.

Around the Network

This whole thing reads like a disgruntled programmer left a software company with some issues unresolved. Some of the stuff is rehashed knowledge, some is second hand and some of it is plain and simple wrong if you read what other PS3 programmers write about the hardship of programming the cell. Apparently, most of the hired guns come to the machine with their set of proven 'gadgets' from the PC environment and find themselves in a maze. Until gadgets appear for the PS3 (which may take another 6-12 months), PS3 users may have to live with multiplatform games that might be somewhat crippled compared to the Xbox versions.

So the programmers are having problems with PS3!
does this mean we need to wait another year for better games?
What about the loading time problem? and extra memory needed to make it quicker?
If these are true, then the blue-ray advantage is still year or two away.
Wow. I am surprised!

Just pop yourself over to a Ratchet and Clank screen shot thread and make up your mind if you are going to have to wait another year. Just around the corner is Metal Gear Solid 4 as well.

The hardships are the learning curve. Once you get off your lazy ass and do some homework, it all starts to make sense pretty quick. This whole topic is as old as dirt.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Sorry but after he said "PS3 has a slower fillrate than 360" I stoped caring to what he had to say. Both with 8 Raster Operators and RSX being 50 mhz faster, that puts it ahead just a bit. Developers these days...

Around the Network
Coca-Cola said:
So the programmers are having problems with PS3!
does this mean we need to wait another year for better games?
What about the loading time problem? and extra memory needed to make it quicker?
If these are true, then the blue-ray advantage is still year or two away.
Wow. I am surprised!

No, you don't have to wait another year for better games, maybe you have to wait for better programmers or get the software that is out now from better programmers. Obviously there are already gadgets around in some companies but they will hardly throw their stuff around for free... Load times are a problem, therefore every game since the dawn of programming has used a caching system, in the case of the PS3 it's called harddisk... extra memory obviously always helps but for consoles that's a non-issue. No need to be surprised.

I always thought PS3 was much more powerful. I
So if I listen to Andir, the developers for Ratchet & Clank and MGS4 are doing their job, but others are just lazy.
Sony must be pissed by now.  

What can they do to encourage the developers?  Besides lowering their prices . . . 

Thanks for posting a link to that blog, it was definitely an interesting read.

To me, it sounds like Sony tried to force its proprietary technology (Cell) onto developers the same way it's trying to force blu-ray onto consumers. I don't see what's "lazy" when developers decide to spend their resources on a system that's easier to work with and selling better instead. It seems to me that the only justification would be if you're a dedicated first party developer (like those behind Ratchet and Clank), or tied down to exclusives (like MGS4).

It means most programmers are not that good while the good ones will do things on PS3 that are far beyond 360s capability. Look at Ratchet and soon Uncharted, the power is being used already.

Well this is wierd?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M