By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 13.17 Million Wii’s Sold World-Wide........VG Chartz need to keep up

And before someone says that "the Wii is sold out everywhere so shipped == sold", it's not true. It's certainly not the case in many European countries, and Japan also I suspect (given the recent dip in Japan sales, which I imagine is not due to supply problems).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Vgchartz had Wii at 12.05 million sell through (what gamers bought) through Sept 30. Nintendo shipped 13.17 million through Sept 30 (not 13.7).

Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft don\'t have scouts at the ~30,000 stores all over the world that tell them how many consoles sold at each individual stores - so they count how many consoles were bought by stores, since that is how they get their money. For simplicity sake if you assume there are 50,000 stores selling videogames and that Nintendo sold 4.0 million units to stores it means each store bought 80 Wiis over 13 weeks, or just over 6 Wiis per week.

Its pretty reasonable to assume that at least in a couple thousand of those stores for a couple weeks only 9/10 Wiis sold of the Wiis bought by Nintendo, which is why 12.05/13.17 ~91% - not 100%.

Got it?

is 1.12m a reasonable amount of wii's sitting at shelves though?

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Yeah I think so.  Not only do the big three stockpile for Christmas, but stores do too so they can advertise that they have hot products, at least thats how it was when we got shipments where I worked.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Neos said:
TheSource said:

Vgchartz had Wii at 12.05 million sell through (what gamers bought) through Sept 30. Nintendo shipped 13.17 million through Sept 30 (not 13.7).

Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft don\\\'t have scouts at the ~30,000 stores all over the world that tell them how many consoles sold at each individual stores - so they count how many consoles were bought by stores, since that is how they get their money. For simplicity sake if you assume there are 50,000 stores selling videogames and that Nintendo sold 4.0 million units to stores it means each store bought 80 Wiis over 13 weeks, or just over 6 Wiis per week.

Its pretty reasonable to assume that at least in a couple thousand of those stores for a couple weeks only 9/10 Wiis sold of the Wiis bought by Nintendo, which is why 12.05/13.17 ~91% - not 100%.

Got it?

is 1.12m a reasonable amount of wii\'s sitting at shelves though?

Maybe they've sold more then they've shipped?  Like... stores are purchasing wii's "backordered".

I live in the BX new york, in my area (1 mile radius) there is a 1 gamestop which i'm sure VG chartz keeps track of, and about 10 electronics retail stores all carrying Wii, 360, PS3......and i'm sure VG chartz doesn't track them, I'm also positive that u don't track -Papo's video store- located in Brooklyn NY that sold me my Wii on day 1 of release

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

Around the Network

well look they're still pretty darn close for an enthusiast site...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

Out of all the outlets tracked by VG chartz

how many are?

Gamestops?
Gamestation?
Walmart?
Best Buy
Target?
Kmart?

between gamestop and walmart alone that's about 10,000 of the outlets tracked by VG chartz

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

dnnc said:
I live in the BX new york, in my area (1 mile radius) there is a 1 gamestop which i\'m sure VG chartz keeps track of, and about 10 electronics retail stores all carrying Wii, 360, PS3......and i\'m sure VG chartz doesn\'t track them, I\'m also positive that u don\'t track -Papo\'s video store- located in Brooklyn NY that sold me my Wii on day 1 of release

And then what ? Do you understand how VGChartz works ?

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

dnnc said:
Out of all the outlets tracked by VG chartz
how many are?

Gamestops?
Gamestation?
Walmart?
Best Buy
Target?
Kmart?

between gamestop and walmart alone that\'s about 10,000 of the outlets tracked by VG chartz

err no not really, its still mostly extrapolation done with a small amount of samples from retailers, really not that much sadly

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

But why did they give a software to hardware ratio? Did they give this ratio for software shipped vs hardware shipped or software sold vs hardware shipped? Could anyone explain this?