By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official New Super Mario Bros Wii Thread

Oh man.... I'm done! Greatest boss battle I've ever seen... Don't know how I survived.

I'm gonna take a break from this game, play something else a bit maybe, and then come back for all the secrets later. But I'll probably be playing this game for the rest of my life.

Eh, who am I kidding, I'll probably be hunting for star coins all week, and playing co-op at every chance I get, forever.

This game is definitely worth the Wii title. Wii Sports is the greatest Sports game, Mario Kart Wii is the greatest Mario Kart game, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the greatest New Super Mario Bros game.

Around the Network

After narrowly dodging a flock of parakoopas in 3-6, I finally realized why I really love Mario more than any other platformer, especially post-SNES ones. So many other platformers nowadays try to make you think the game is awesome by having you jump through hoops to reach "epic moments," and award your diligence by letting you see a cutscene, or watch as something awesome happens *around* you. The goal in those games is to make you think "that was awesome!"

By contrast Mario never tries to make you think the game is awesome. It creates levels and jumps that you, the player, have to narrowly overcome to advance, and when you finally do you think to yourself "man, I am awesome!" I find that greatly preferable; not only does it create a feeling of empowerment, but it makes it easier for the game to keep topping itself.

Where other platformers have to take the time to manufacture impressive moments (and remember that your sense of what's impressive to watch won't change in three hours), Mario takes advantage of your ever-improving skills to create its great moments. In World 1, your skills are so atrophied that timing your jump to land on that moving koopa so you can reach that high pipe qualifies as an "I'm awesome!" moment; by World 8 you're stringing jumps and timing moves with ease around frentic obstacle courses, which leads to a series of such moments.

Long story short: Mario platformers are like Mushrooms for the mind.

Listen

Doing that jump off of three bullet bills to reach a particular star coin in world 3 is probably the most stupidly satisfying tiny secret I've ever achieved.

So is there any reward for collecting all of the star coins? I beat the game, and I'm just wondering if it's just for shits and giggles and to give an excuse to run through all of the stages again or if there is some tangible reward for getting all the star coins?

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
So is there any reward for collecting all of the star coins? I beat the game, and I'm just wondering if it's just for shits and giggles and to give an excuse to run through all of the stages again or if there is some tangible reward for getting all the star coins?

No one knows. Looks like you'll need all the star coins to find out...!

Around the Network
The_vagabond7 said:

There's a very tangible reward indeed.

World 9.

Khuutra said:
Listen

Doing that jump off of three bullet bills to reach a particular star coin in world 3 is probably the most stupidly satisfying tiny secret I've ever achieved.

That's what I'm talking about. These little things that aren't impressive to watch or to describe, but which make you internally high-five yourself. To me, THAT'S Mario.

@NoName

Yeah. We were screaming, high fiving, and cheering each other on. And that was just for beating YesWiiCan (I guess he's been beaten so many times by so many people that he had to go into exile).

This game provides so many of these moments... it's just fantastic.

noname2200 said:
The_vagabond7 said:

There's a very tangible reward indeed.

World 9.

Gotcha I didn't know I couldn't access that yet. It just popped up on screen after I beat the game, didn't know I needed the star coins to get there. Well, I've got some collecting to do then.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Local multiplayer is sooooo much fun in this game. I can't believe Nintendo have sat on this game for 25 years without trying it before now. It easily rivals Mario Kart, possibly surpasses it, I'll have to play more.

Multi reminds me of a super fast paced L4D with the difference that Nintendo actually delivered on the 'every playthrough is different' promise that Valve failed to keep (imo). Fighting over healthpacks/mushrooms, griefing a little when things are going good and working as a team, while still looking after number one, at the difficult stages.

As much as I love the singleplayer, and I do love the singleplayer, the game is far more enjoyable playing with friends imo. I can't remember a multiplayer game that has felt this fresh and enjoyable since err .... Super Mario Kart. 5 of us, all gamers (mostly Wii haters), played this at the weekend and nobody had a bad word to say. Things just went from awesome to awesome-er.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!