By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else wish the FPS craze would die?

I've been gaming a while but I was never much of a PC gamer I dabbled here and there you know. Anyway I remember when I'd read a gaming mag back in the day I'd notice that like EVERY other PC game was a first person shooter. And I was pretty happy to be a console gamer because I think FPS's are ok once in a while but not ALL THE TIME.

But now FPS are REALLY popular on consoles and I'm like WTF happened? OSDT, Borderlands, L4D2, MW2 and this is just the end of 2009! FPS have been around since the arly 90's but it only seems like in the last few years that their popularity on consoles has exploaded. Personally I think it's because a lot of former PC gamers have migrated over to the X-Box. Is it just me or doesn't it feel like the X-Box have a little more of a PC culture going for it then say Playstation or Nintendo? I'm not sying that's the only reason the 360 has been successful or that 360 owners are ONLY former PC gamers. But it does seem like there was that base there. 

So what do you think? Could this be a trend like how fighting games were in the 90's or can we expect to have FPS continue to dominate the market for another decade or more? Yes I realise that other types of games are still coming out but sometimes it feels like thes FPS are just clones of each other with different settings. I would even prefer more third person shooters.  

Around the Network

I think there are more TPSes than FPSes.

Wanted, Uncharted, Korean Anime Gears Clone, Infamous etc.

Heck no! Theres tons of good FPSs. They make for fun online play!

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

I no more wish FPS/TPS games would die than I would wish that your favorite genre of console gaming would die, whatever that might be.

Fair enough?

It's a phase. In the late 80's and early 90's, it was Platformers, in the mid-90's it was fighting games and RPGs, and now it's FPS games.

Part of the magic of Goldeneye, and even Halo and Halo 2, were that a) they were fantastic games and b) that the genre wasn't totally oversaturated. I love playing the occasional shooter, but I'm kinda getting sick of them at the moment.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

pfft FPS craze died for me long ago now i avoid them like the plague

As long as there is meaning/fun factor to them and/or they bring new ideas to the table, I suppose I don't mind. I play a variety of games on consoles and PC, so I'm ok.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

I don't like RPG's but I don't wish it to die. I actually prefer adventure games, but FPS are popular for a reason.

Genres die when they stop being fun and good, and the minute it happens, it will go the same way as fighting games.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

PC gamers haven't migrated to XBox, console gamers just discovered what they were missing on PC after all the PC devs decided to develop on consoles too.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Many geres that i wish would die before FPS.

JRPG, NBA games, bad Sandbox games...

FPS is safe in my books for many years to come. Id understand you posting this if they sucked, but FPS games coming out are still some of the best games around.