By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next generation of console

In the immortal words of the great one (No not superman), D'OH!

*goes back to quietly sweep it under the rug*

...curses, foiled again! ^_^

As a side note, I gave cool48 too much credit.  Seeing the word "exception," I naturally assumed he'd know the GC vs PS2 differences, but no, of course not.  That'll teach me for assuming people have at least a little bit of knowledge.

Around the Network
Daileon said:
sienster said:
For example, Excitetruck was a pain in the ass with the Wiimote!

Man, I just hope you're kidding... Sure, most games with the Wiimote just plainly "sucks", but Excite Truck... Even my brother-in-law (5-aged) plays it... It isn't harder or tedious... Surely.

No, not kidding.  Zelda was another game that was annoying with it.  To each their own.

its funny when people don't know what they are talking about.

on topic, people assume that the most powerful systems does really well but that has never been the case since the 16 bit generation when snes won. psx graphics looked very crappy compared to n64 and they dominated. ps2's graphics were noticeably worse than GC and xbox and they dominated more than ever. DS graphics are much worse than PSP but the PSP is a joke compared to the DS. PS3 and 360 are way more powerful than the wii yet they are getting blown out by wii sales. the trend in every case is the least powerful system wins by very large margins. that should tell you where next gen will go. companies should totally compete to see who can bring out the most technologically out of date hardware in order to win! then nintendo would easily win cuz they'd just bring out a new NES with the full library of games good to go! nah but seriously graphics are at the point now where there is a greatly diminshing return to the point where the cost efficiency of making and buying games/the system that are less powerful overweighs how cool state of the art graphics look. so only systems that balance horsepower with affordability will win. and affordable means under $300 at launch.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

OK cool48 got owned I'll just admit it.

I promise there shall never be another post from me where I will be wrong. 

@ Words of Wisdom

I am not a fanboy but i had been informed by someone that the playstation series was more powerful than the other systems.

Soriku said:
fazz said:
Next from Nintendo:

-At least double the power of the PS3
-Something like 2GB RAM, using GDDR5.
-Also, put in some quad-core PowerPC (or Intel?) at around 5 Ghz (using less than 45nm of course).
-Don't forget a GPU in the lines of a R700 from ATI, but not as fast compared to the PC version (to keep heat low, small form factor)... and less than 45nm build.
-Wi-Fi obviously, multi-card reader, maybe HD-DVD or Blu-ray but no movie playback.
-Also, solid state hard drive... not too big, but big enough.
-User-created content and games for free to download, now support for Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox and GC games for download on VC.
-Now the best part, the controller. It's gonna be a BIG evolution from the Wiimote... so BIG and innovative that I can't think something that BIG and innovative to put it in here.

Pretty much all this, but lol at PS2 VC downloads. That'll never happen, PS2 is owned by Sony, same with Xbox owned by MS. And the power might be a bit less than PS3, on par or higher, maybe double if you're right.

In terms of power again it'll be: Sony > Microsoft > Nintendo.

Wii 2 controls will be very well done.

And all of them [might] use motion controls.

In terms of power, if this gen is anything to go by I'm glad my 360 hasn't got the CELL.

Pro evo 8 is yet another example of a difference between the consoles.

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/ps3/pes7/news-6760.html

So for next gen your comment about Sony being ahead of the other 2...... well in PR talk yes but actual gameplay NO.