By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next generation of console

Though I´m abandoning gaming after this gen,I´ll still follow this industry´s news and I´m damn curious to know if motion sensing will be standard,and how many people manage to get used to the idea.

Around the Network
JouninGarret said:
Though I´m abandoning gaming after this gen,I´ll still follow this industry´s news and I´m damn curious to know if motion sensing will be standard,and how many people manage to get used to the idea.

I think that motion sensing will still only be a small part of the game, not the only way in which you interact with the game

add me

Munkeh said:
I think that all the competitors will use a Wiimote style device, but concentrate on making cheap peripherals, so you could slot it into a classic joypad and things like rackets, bats, guns etc

I don't. I see the Wiimote and Nunchuk as gimmicky and it won't stand the test of time (as is).  Now if they can create a better one, possibly.  Some things are just to tedious or harder with it.  For example, Excitetruck was a pain in the ass with the Wiimote!

Next from Nintendo:

-At least double the power of the PS3
-Something like 2GB RAM, using GDDR5.
-Also, put in some quad-core PowerPC (or Intel?) at around 5 Ghz (using less than 45nm of course).
-Don't forget a GPU in the lines of a R700 from ATI, but not as fast compared to the PC version (to keep heat low, small form factor)... and less than 45nm build.
-Wi-Fi obviously, multi-card reader, maybe HD-DVD or Blu-ray but no movie playback.
-Also, solid state hard drive... not too big, but big enough.
-User-created content and games for free to download, now support for Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox and GC games for download on VC.
-Now the best part, the controller. It's gonna be a BIG evolution from the Wiimote... so BIG and innovative that I can't think something that BIG and innovative to put it in here.

I bet Sony will approach the market very differently than this gen, unless PS3 sales pick up significantly. Even then, I still expect them to avoid many of the design choices of the PS3, and instead aim for a (mostly) game machine.

Basically, it will be like Sega attempting to reinvent themselves with the DC. So, I see Sony making some of the same choices - an easy to develop for system that has as much power as the simplicity and cost will allow. They'll aim squarly for the mainstream and launch as early as they can get away with, at the very least ahead of their competitors. Similarly, you'll see an attempt to change their brand and avoid some of the bad things consumers may associate with the PS3 from this gen (likely not being named PS4, and maybe dropping the PS moniker all together)

Of course the above assumes that this gen continues on its current course - Wii dominating, PS3 severly lagging. It also assumes that Sony isn't/won't be happy with where the PS3 is and ends up, and that the managment decides to produce a profitable gaming machine. However, if they are content with the PS3 hitting ~20-40mil and think the ability to push content and proprietary tech is more important, then it wont be terribly different than this gen. Minus the obscene cost and emphasis on technology, mind you.

I think MS depends on how the wiimote takes off, and how the 360 continues to sell. If they see their sales drop and the "hardcore" come around to the motion controls, along with said controls become predominate in the industry (read, 3rd party AAA Wii titles), then expect them to mimick the Wii controls atleast.

If the 360 continues to do well, or even exceptional, then they'll do largly the same as this gen, but focus on adding feature that push MS software and content (this is one of the big reasons their in the biz). They wil also add some sort of motion control, although how radically different this is from their current controller depends on the Wiis success.

Ninty - Refine the wii controls as much as possibly, possibly making it slightly more complex. HD and likely adding more features and software to via the "channels" to make the system seem like a more multifunction gaming machine than just a console. Also, vastly improved internal storage with GC and likely even Wii titles on VC.

I really dont expect them to do that much different with the controller. It will be more of a refinement and consolodation of what they pulled off with the Wii. I expect them to change things up with the successor to the "Wii 2", but this will be largly dependant on future market developments.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

How about this for a controller.

It is basically a DS/Wiimote mix. There is basically a Wiimote with no buttons whatsoever except for POWER. But when you turn it on, the buttons appear on basically a touch screen like the DS with A, 1 and 2 etc. But here is the awesome part. Developers can change the buttons on the Wiimote for any type of game. They can use it as a map, or just use the regular buttons, or as a pistol.

Sound innovative? It probably isn't as innovative as what Miyamoto is thinking. It will be some crazy conframublation.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

We're not sure the PS4 will exist yet. If it does exist, my bet is that Sony's strategy to design and launch it will be totally different from the PS3's.

As for the other two:

I have no idea of what Nintendo will come up with if they want to innovate again.

Microsoft will launch something with advanced motion controls (more advanced than the Wii's), and hardware will still be powerful as they did in this generation. Their software will still be the best among all three, because, well, that's what they do.

EDIT - In case there's any confusion, by "MS's software will be the best" I mean the console's OS and their development tools.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Well, no offense there NJ5, but last gen the PS2 was the software king, and it didn't hand over to the PS3, there's no reason to think that whatever system MS comes out with next will inherit any of the 360's success. PS2 was about the most popular console ever made and has like 5 times the software of the other two systems around during it's reign, and look where Sony is now. Success in this generation is in no way assurance of success in the next generation.

Soriku said:
Maybe just using HD-VMD discs.
 That would rock.  And it should still be able to play GC and Wii games. 

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Apostrovich said:
Well, no offense there NJ5, but last gen the PS2 was the software king, and it didn't hand over to the PS3, there's no reason to think that whatever system MS comes out with next will inherit any of the 360's success. PS2 was about the most popular console ever made and has like 5 times the software of the other two systems around during it's reign, and look where Sony is now. Success in this generation is in no way assurance of success in the next generation.

Maybe you read my post before I added the "EDIT" part? I didn't mean to imply that 360's successor will be successful, that will depend on many factors which my prediction didn't cover.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957