By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo failing at online?

Alright so today I read the latest article on the VGChartz home page. The article about Nintendo Shop Channel in Japan is now going to have demo's. In the article

Said Iwata, "Unless we can give people a reason to go to the Wii Shopping Channel and DSi Shop even if they don't have business there, I don't believe digital goods sales will heat up."

Heat up. I don't know about you but I have over 200$ in Virtual Console and WiiWare software going on 300$. Also judging from talking to other gamers here on VGChartz and on other gaming forums. People are constantly complaining about not having enough room in their Wii's for all the software they're downloading.

How much do the sales really need to heat up. If even 10% of Wii gamers spend as much as I have that would be heat enough. Now I'm not sure about everyone in the world but every single person I know with a Wii has spent at least 20$ on WiiWare and Virtual Console. An attach rate of 2/3 games per console. I myself have dozens.

How much have you spent online or do you fall into this cool market Iwata is talking about?

I've spent about 300$ , I have 5400 points that I have yet to spend!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

I think Iwata has just been a negative nancy lately...

I've spent about $50 maybe a bit more. I only have about 500p sitting. Though the title is misleading since I wouldn't put DD as the general term Online. Though I do agree that the DD could use some Demoing. We all know demo's are a great way to either sell the game or kill it.

As for Nintendo Online. They are doing rather well. No it's not feature rich, but considering the number of online players. It's very respectable for a minimal feature environment.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

I have 10 unspent points, so $10 is all I ever spent there. Wanted Ocarina of Time but didn't buy since it needed Classic/GC controller bummer ...

What Iwata wants is another social phenomenon, which for the the most part is only accomplished by the leadership of a single game.

Around the Network

Yeah Iwata's getting all emo. I want to give him a hug and let him know that dominating the entire video game industry in terms of hardware, software, innovation, controls, and marketing, is well... it's good enough for Rubang.

i have spent tons as well, but i think many people won't go unless you give them incentive to go at least once. That's why i think they should include 1000 wii points whenever you buy a wii.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

internet people are small segment of wii users and are a bunch of liars. look at all the hype for conduit and madworld. relatively poor sales, lots of talk. i would gather a lot of the people you see saying they are buying all these vc and wiiware games, are not actually buying them at all.

imo, they need to make their service more user friendly and stick an ethernet port in their system.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

I've spent a load online. A bit of DLC for the Beatles and World Tour, 13 WiiWare games and a similar amount of VC games (perhaps even a few more).

It seems to be doing okay for a few companies. Just have to look at the millions spent on Mario 3.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Not wanting to get off track here, but madworld sold incredibly well. It is a credit to the Wii that it is better at selling niche games like madworld and NMH than even the PS2 was. As for the conduit. It waas a new IP from a developer with a terrible reputation. I dont think its sales were all that poor

On topic - I own 3 WW and 1 VC and I suspect when I get my hands on demo play this number will be increased. I dont think Nintendos online has failed, however