By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Wii isn't in a healthy situation we need to recover momentum

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
SnowFlow said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
The problem isn't just making good games anymore. We got those. Stuff like Muramasa, Little King's Story, A Boy and his Blob, etc. The problem is, Japan is switching to handhelds faster than America is switching to CGI Animation. They need to convince people, especially the Japanese, to come back to consoles.

As I said a year ago, the Wiis biggest competition now is the DS.

Thinking like this is what's making the Wii fall.  Muramasa, LKS, and Boy and His Blob are all quality games but none of them are big sellers or have the capability to be heavy hitters, you want proof look at the sales.  The proplem goes much deeper than handhelds, Wii sales have slowed significantly world wide, and it's software no longer dominates the weekly charts.

Look at all the cool games released on 360 and PS3 this holiday; Borderlands, Dragon Age, Modern Warfare 2, Assasin's Creed 2, Tekken 6, Demon's Soul, Uncharted 2, Halo ODST.. need I even go on!  These are all AAA or AA games that have huge marketing campaigns behind them, there is absolutely NO competition.  On top of that Final Fantasy 13, Bioshock 2, and Mass Effect are just around the corner next year.  Yeah Nintendo has some games coming up, but going against this sheer volume of great games will be very hard.

What Nintendo needs to do is invest the massive amounts of money they have made by making lots of quality software not only to lure in more buyers but to keep current Wii owners happy, speaking as a Wii owner the only Wii game I have been happy with this past year is Pikmin... and that's a 9 year old port!.  This past year was beyond pathetic.  Nintendo also needs to make (or have someone else) at least a few games that have "bad asss" writen on them.... something like Gear, Borderlands, Bioshock.  Nintendo had games of this calibar on the N64 with 007, Perfect Dark, Doom, etc... why can't Wii?

Its no secret that Third Parties love the HD systems.  But that doesn't mean Nintendo should go throwing money at them to make games for the Wii.  That's what they did on the GC and we all saw how well that turned out.  And look how well they're doing this gen compared to their competitors with most of the Third Parties throwing them their lesser titles.  They essentially half half the profit share of the entire gaming industry.

If what you meant by 'invest lots of money' was Nintendo make their OWN games...I have no idea what you mean.  They have tons of excellent games this gen, both past and coming.  And they don't need to go the 'badass' route.  Once again, look how far that's gotten companies like MS and Sony.  No, selling to 'all ages' is always the more profitable way to go.  Look at Pixar, Apple, Coke, etc.  You name the brand, they have their own 'edgy, for teens' competitor that isn't doing as well as them.

chocoloco said:
Sounds like Nintendo is a bunch of winers to me. Leading the pack and still bitching, please. When they were in third place like last gen there was reason to bitch.

Someone who whines when they're losing will always be a loser.  Someone who questions their past mistakes will keep from repeating them.

I like your philosophy. The latter part sounds like mine.

Around the Network
trestres said:

And I don't remember Nintendo moneyhatting third party devs in the GC era.

alfredofroylan said:
trestres said:

And I don't remember Nintendo moneyhatting third party devs in the GC era.

I don't think Nintendo moneyhatted the Capcom Five. If they had, it would have turned ito the Capcom One (or Capcom P.N.09)

Khuutra said:

I don't think Nintendo moneyhatted the Capcom Five. If they had, it would have turned ito the Capcom One (or Capcom P.N.09)

The agreement was for Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Remake, Zero and Product Number 03 plus another title that I don't remember, Capcom actually pushed quite hard to lift the exclusivity of RE 4.

Bundles, colors, hype. Nintendo is too late to have taken action into those things. Surely, NSMBWii will revitalize Wii for the holiday period, but Ninty needs to bring their A game.

Around the Network

so Im right about the price cut after all, and the ones defending the pricecut thing and people saying I was wrong now say the pricecut didnt work and now they need to release A games?

The next NPD chart was more interesting than I think... It will be more interesting in the next month when the holiday season NPD released

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:
so Im right about the price cut after all, and the ones defending the pricecut thing and people saying I was wrong now say the pricecut didnt work and now they need to release A games?

The next NPD chart was more interesting than I think... It will be more interesting in the next month when the holiday season NPD released

Well the topic is about the japanese market, where the price drop had the lowest effect. (so the NPD has nothing to do here)

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
SnowFlow said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
The problem isn't just making good games anymore. We got those. Stuff like Muramasa, Little King's Story, A Boy and his Blob, etc. The problem is, Japan is switching to handhelds faster than America is switching to CGI Animation. They need to convince people, especially the Japanese, to come back to consoles.

As I said a year ago, the Wiis biggest competition now is the DS.

Thinking like this is what's making the Wii fall.  Muramasa, LKS, and Boy and His Blob are all quality games but none of them are big sellers or have the capability to be heavy hitters, you want proof look at the sales.  The proplem goes much deeper than handhelds, Wii sales have slowed significantly world wide, and it's software no longer dominates the weekly charts.

Look at all the cool games released on 360 and PS3 this holiday; Borderlands, Dragon Age, Modern Warfare 2, Assasin's Creed 2, Tekken 6, Demon's Soul, Uncharted 2, Halo ODST.. need I even go on!  These are all AAA or AA games that have huge marketing campaigns behind them, there is absolutely NO competition.  On top of that Final Fantasy 13, Bioshock 2, and Mass Effect are just around the corner next year.  Yeah Nintendo has some games coming up, but going against this sheer volume of great games will be very hard.

What Nintendo needs to do is invest the massive amounts of money they have made by making lots of quality software not only to lure in more buyers but to keep current Wii owners happy, speaking as a Wii owner the only Wii game I have been happy with this past year is Pikmin... and that's a 9 year old port!.  This past year was beyond pathetic.  Nintendo also needs to make (or have someone else) at least a few games that have "bad asss" writen on them.... something like Gear, Borderlands, Bioshock.  Nintendo had games of this calibar on the N64 with 007, Perfect Dark, Doom, etc... why can't Wii?

Its no secret that Third Parties love the HD systems.  But that doesn't mean Nintendo should go throwing money at them to make games for the Wii.  That's what they did on the GC and we all saw how well that turned out.  And look how well they're doing this gen compared to their competitors with most of the Third Parties throwing them their lesser titles.  They essentially half half the profit share of the entire gaming industry.

If what you meant by 'invest lots of money' was Nintendo make their OWN games...I have no idea what you mean.  They have tons of excellent games this gen, both past and coming.  And they don't need to go the 'badass' route.  Once again, look how far that's gotten companies like MS and Sony.  No, selling to 'all ages' is always the more profitable way to go.  Look at Pixar, Apple, Coke, etc.  You name the brand, they have their own 'edgy, for teens' competitor that isn't doing as well as them.

I'm not saying Nintendo should "throw" money at them but rather secure a few exclussive deals with big games and help out with marketing a bit.  Both MS and Sony seem to be doing a much better job helping third party devs sell their games.  I certainly hope Nintendo helps Capcom make MH3 a huge success here out west because it looks like far to great a game to have fail because of poor marketing.  Maybe offering better online framework and taking voice chat more seriously too.

By invest I mean first of all Nintendo just needs to make more heavy hitter games plain and simple.  Where is Starfox, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong platformer, Kirby, F-Zero, Luigi's Mansion 2, etc.  The amount of wasted time and potencial is astonishing.  I'm not saying Nintendo should go strickly "badass" but offer more games of that kind certainly wouldn't hurt, it's just another way of making the Wii more appealing.  Plus I'm sure that many people here are looking for more quality games in the mature genre.  RE:4 is the only AAA mature game on Wii, thats very sad especailly since it's last gen.

I love the idea behind Wii and think it's a great console.  But the amount of wasted potencial just makes me sick.

For one thing, Reggie was NOA president so he wont say about the situation he will spin it and wouldnt say the real situation on the sales of the Wiii and 2:

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-sales-very-strong-through-october-says-gamestop/

PS3 Sales 'Very Strong' Through October, says GameStop

But the next NPD will die next week so we will see about that

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

alfredofroylan said:
Khuutra said:

The agreement was for Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Remake, Zero and Product Number 03 plus another title that I don't remember, Capcom actually pushed quite hard to lift the exclusivity of RE 4.

Lol? REmake and RE Zero were not part of the agreement.

Capcom 5 were Dead Phoenix (Never released), RE 4 (Released on PS2, PC, Iphone, etc), Viewtiful Joe ( Released on PS2), Killer7 (Released on PS2) and P.N. 03.

Like Khuutra Said, Capcom's One.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies