By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Wii isn't in a healthy situation we need to recover momentum

What Iwata wants is another social phenomenon, which for the the most part is only accomplished by the leadership of a single game.

Around the Network
mai said:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Probably only for Japan.  Even if Nintendo's advertising boost for DQIX helps Dragon Quest outside of Japan, it probably won't make it some massive million dollar seller overnight in time for DQX.  And following SquareEnix patterns of how they handle the localizations of Dragon Quest, if DQX were to release in Japan in 2012, we might not even see it until 2013 or even later.  And by that time, the next Nintendo console might even be out.

Wasn't Iwata talking about Japan particularly?

Yes, but the topic has been fluctuating between talking about just his comments and how it'll affect the market.  And the comment I quoted wasn't specifying just Japan.

Azelover said:
What Iwata wants is another social phenomenon, which for the the most part is only accomplished by the leadership of a single game

Funny thing about that is....Wiis were flying off the shelf for 2 years with hardly any games to speak of.  Once they actually started getting good games, that's when the Wii started slowing down in sales.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

That's cause many early adopters were lured by the gimmick of motion controls which kept them interested for a while, but during this period of stagnation many "real" Wii gamers simply stopped caring.  I've had multiple friends that bought a Wii waiting for X game, and by the time that game actually came out, they didn't even want it anymore.

Amidst a sea of crap, even the gems are obscured. 

Ataraxias said:

That's cause many early adopters were lured by the gimmick of motion controls which kept them interested for a while, but during this period of stagnation many "real" Wii gamers simply stopped caring.  I've had multiple friends that bought a Wii waiting for X game, and by the time that game actually came out, they didn't even want it anymore.

Everyone listen to this man, for he tells the truth.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

@ OP - Why would you think that FFXIII will make it hard for the Wii to sell well

1) FFXIII will help sales of the PS3, it won't hinder sales of the Wii
2) In terms of japaneese software sales, NSB:Wii >> FFXIII

Around the Network
Ataraxias said:

I don't know what you mean by the 'real' Wii gamers.  If you mean the 'hardcore' Wii gamers, those are the ones still around and the ones actually buying the games like Muramasa or Madworld.  I think its mostly those who were just testing the Wii or half of the people often called 'casuals' who dropped out after trying one or two Wii games and not liking them.  Those people who bought the Wii at launch waiting for Smash Bros Brawl aren't 'Real' Wi gamers.  They were just gamers who bought a Wii w/WiiSports and put it on their shelf for 2 years and went back to playing Halo or Lost Odyssey.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Ataraxias said:

I don't know what you mean by the 'real' Wii gamers.  If you mean the 'hardcore' Wii gamers, those are the ones still around and the ones actually buying the games like Muramasa or Madworld.  I think its mostly those who were just testing the Wii or half of the people often called 'casuals' who dropped out after trying one or two Wii games and not liking them.  Those people who bought the Wii at launch waiting for Smash Bros Brawl aren't 'Real' Wi gamers.  They were just gamers who bought a Wii w/WiiSports and put it on their shelf for 2 years and went back to playing Halo or Lost Odyssey.

Muramasa and Madworld only support my point.  They're great games real gamers SHOULD want, but the sales numbers show that many have just turned apathetic.  I can say with certainty that the Wii started out with more than 1% of its owners being real gamers.

Muramasa and MadWorld are very niche titles. I'm finding Henry Hatsworth to be far far far more fun than Muramasa, that's a game that should have sold a million copies.

MadWorld.. I haven't even finished that game.. I kinda regret buying it except that it may be a collectors item one day.

puffy said:
Muramasa and MadWorld are very niche titles. I'm finding Henry Hatsworth to be far far far more fun than Muramasa, that's a game that should have sold a million copies.

MadWorld.. I haven't even finished that game.. I kinda regret buying it except that it may be a collectors item one day.

Henry Hatsworth is also a niche title along the same vein of Muramasa.  No, its not in the same genre, but it has a similar core market and isn't for 'casual' players.

And @Ataraxias, I'm definitely not disagreeing that the Wii is lacking in people who need to buy core third party games.  However, I was just saying the people who you referred to as the 'real' Wii gamers aren't who you think they are.  The people you described are people who just bought a Wii and ignored its library completely.  The 'real' Wii gamers are the ones still around buying its titles AND those who bought games throughout its lifetime.  Not just Brawl and/or Mario Galaxy and then went back to their HD console.

Sorry, the real Wii gamers I was referring to are people that one can consider a real gamer of any platform and may or may not also own a Wii or any other system.

This period of stagnation has seriously tainted the image of Wii games in general for these people across all category of games.  

Take a non-niche game like Madden for example; the person has to decide between banking on the Wii version not being an average game completely reliant on the novelty of the controls, or can go the tried and true route with the 360/PS3 version.  As this continues over time, they just have less and less reason to risk any Wii game.