By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Big software titles flopping in the US

MontanaHatchet said:
The Japanese are unwilling to change?

Aren't they the home of Nintendo and the casual gaming revolution?

I should have specified my comments, Montana. Yes, the Japanese are willing to change drastically to adopt new ideas. But, their old stayed-and-true formulas still run rampant while the western world is going on to bigger and better things. Look at the RPG world; 10 years ago, the WRPG was a joke. Now, it's the becoming the standard. Meanwhile, FFXII and Blue Dragon are doing the old-school thing. Are they wrong? Not necessarily, but you have to admit that western gaming has been slowly bleeding into every genre that you formerly accepted as being Japanese-only.

The Japanese are doing a great job of changing the face of gaming, but the western world has done a great job of improving on the genres that the Japanese created back during the NES days while the Japanese developers have sat on their hands and not done much with their original creations.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
fkusumot said:
MontanaHatchet said:

To sum it up, the Playstation is the best console ever made. Really.

DS says hi.

You jest?

Maybe it will be end of it's lifespan, but ha, you must be kidding.

MontanaHatchet said:
fkusumot said:
MontanaHatchet said:

DS says hi.

You jest?

Maybe at the end of it's lifespan, but ha, you must be kidding. 

I would have to go with Montana with this one. No other handheld or console has released a holy trifecta like MGS/GT/FFVII within a year of each other. That singlehandedly changed gaming forever.

If you mentioned the NES as the best console ever, I might agree.

rocketpig said:

The Japanese are doing a great job of changing the face of gaming, but the western world has done a great job of improving on the genres that the Japanese created back during the NES days while the Japanese developers have sat on their hands and not done much with their original creations.

I just like to make fun of myself and say:

Run-on sentence FTW!

I thought Table Tennis was a budget title, it's at least 30% off here in Sweden. Do you mean that that's still too expensive?

Around the Network

Playstation 2 > DS > Playstation

rocketpig said:
MontanaHatchet said:
fkusumot said:
MontanaHatchet said:

DS says hi.

You jest?

Maybe at the end of it's lifespan, but ha, you must be kidding.

I would have to go with Montana with this one. No other handheld or console has released a holy trifecta like MGS/GT/FFVII within a year of each other. That singlehandedly changed gaming forever.

If you mentioned the NES as the best console ever, I might agree.

Nintendogs says hi! Say hello to Dr. Kawashima.

Edit: Nintendo Shares Rise on Higher Forecast Expectations

I've said it in another thread before; Most franchises seem to be taaking a hit lately (Good thing, IMO). FF, MGS, Madden, Halo, Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, etc. Gamers are spreading out to more games.

Not every game can succeed in the market, that's what competition is for. I imagine games like madden will pick up over the holidays.

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.

shams said:

Pro Evolution '07 (360): 80k, after 40 weeks. Who was predicting this would sell 1m on the 360?

I'm really confused...

-When did Pro Evolution Soccer 6 come out? Vgchartz lists it as selling 1.02 million (.94 others, .00 Japan, .08 US).

-When did Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 come out? IGN says early 07 in the US, late 06 in Europe/Japan. Yet according to vgchartz it has only sold .08 million (all in the US). So .00 others, .00 Japan, .08 US? That doesn't sound right, considering it sold the same as PES6 in the US, one would expect total sales to be quite a bit higher than .08 million.

-So is it Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 that comes out later this year?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick