By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP Go - First Day Sales

hanafuda said:
DS Lite only did 67k week 1? What a flop. s/c

Yes.  The DS Lite was a horrendous flop - the second coming of Virtual Boy.

Around the Network

Speaking of which, how did the VB sell week one?

PSN - hanafuda

I'd actually be interested in seeing those numbers too.

It's kinda ridiculous to hear flop being thrown around so casually. I mean this is based on one day of sales in one country. I do wish Sony would have released it on an earlier day to see what sales would have been for an actual week, but as is one day of sales is its opening week sales. Though I still don't think it did that badly. It made more in one day than the Wii or PS3 sold all of last week. I still think we should wait till this weeks numbers are released next Thurs to see how well it really is doing.

And really, no one expected it to be some massive seller. It was mostly targeted to new customers and not upgraders, as it renders previously bought UMD's useless. I mean if the DSi didn't allow you to play your previously bought DS games, and forced you to buy new ones only online, I'm pretty sure it would have seen similar numbers. Well, maybe slightly higher, it is DS afterall.

Rath said:
Eh. In Japan this is very low for a redesign, twice this would be a decent amount. It's actually below my expectations and I didn't expect the Go to be a hugely successful redesign.

@letsdance. People saying sales numbers are disappointing, on a site based around sales, doesn't require mod control. It's exactly the type of thing people are meant to say.

When its trolling it is. No one expected this to do gang busters. It double PSPs sales for the week and thats good for anything. People who expected anything more are just trolls in my opinion. From the very get go people said this wasnt going to sell and labeled it a flop. No one gave it a chance. Even if it did 50k first day people would shout flop... This wasnt a model revision people. Expectations shouldnt be like it was (even though they were never). It will get back R&D cost and eventually turn profit. Something which Sony needs. I bet if i went into a forza 3 thread and called it a flop id be banned. I mean... after all thats what treatment Uncharted, LBP, Infamous, and KZ2 got. "Didn't meet expectations" "Didn't live up to hype" are some of the quotes I could use. "Relative to the hype..." Seriously, if I were as stupid as some of the people who used these lines I could say "Relative to the hype one would expect FM3 to sell like GT. FM3 floped and didnt meet expectations." But... hell... We'll never see that on a 360 game.,

Around the Network
letsdance said:
Rath said:
Eh. In Japan this is very low for a redesign, twice this would be a decent amount. It's actually below my expectations and I didn't expect the Go to be a hugely successful redesign.

@letsdance. People saying sales numbers are disappointing, on a site based around sales, doesn't require mod control. It's exactly the type of thing people are meant to say.

When its trolling it is. No one expected this to do gang busters. It double PSPs sales for the week and thats good for anything. People who expected anything more are just trolls in my opinion. From the very get go people said this wasnt going to sell and labeled it a flop. No one gave it a chance. Even if it did 50k first day people would shout flop... This wasnt a model revision people. Expectations shouldnt be like it was (even though they were never). It will get back R&D cost and eventually turn profit. Something which Sony needs. I bet if i went into a forza 3 thread and called it a flop id be banned. I mean... after all thats what treatment Uncharted, LBP, Infamous, and KZ2 got. "Didn't meet expectations" "Didn't live up to hype" are some of the quotes I could use. "Relative to the hype..." Seriously, if I were as stupid as some of the people who used these lines I could say "Relative to the hype one would expect FM3 to sell like GT. FM3 floped and didnt meet expectations." But... hell... We'll never see that on a 360 game.,

Wait, you're claiming this forum is MS biased?

This forum is blatantly Sony biased, with the old guard of the Nintendo fans (this used to be a hugely Nintendo biased site) still around as well. There are far too few 360 fans around to even keep it balanced...

I guess that's good.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

LOL @ Rath - I dont think you relize how many 360 people there are on these forums. Maybe if they pulled their head out of the ground and quit complaining about being the minority theyd relize how many there are tooo. The ps3 fans are just more organized and unionized.

letsdance said:
Rath said:

It's not trolling, it is a statement of fact. Look at the list that was posted and compare the go to the other handhelds, including the other psp ones. Also remember that most of those systems, if not all, were released on a Sunday, just like the go, so the first week sales of the previous systems would only have one day as well.

The go sold far less than any other decent hand held and prolly less than the 3000. Sony would have gotten more sales from a brand new color 3000 that it would from the go release. If you can't see that then you are just blind.

As for what I would have considered not a flop: 100k. You number of 50k would be still have been a flop and should be considered one. The exception would be if the go would have been supply constrained.

Lastly, underperformed is a very different thing that flopped and thats why there are no bans. But, if a game or system does flop in an epic manner as the go just did in japan, then you would not get banned for doing so because it is stating the obvious.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

PSP GO is better than i thought!