By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Lady gaga makes music history

go gaga

Around the Network

You realize that the Pop chart has only been in existence for a few years while the larger billboard hot 100 is the US chart that is THE most popular singles in the country. Number one is 'Fireflies' by Owl City. Lady Gaga has only had two #1s on the billboard hot 100. Paparazzi is #6 this week.

To be fair,

Lady Gaga has a pretty good natural voice. She showed it off on SNL last night on a re-run. It was kind of surprising, given her penchant for craptastic poppy music.

However,

Her music - the stuff that has been heralded on the Top 40 - is utter crap. I don't care if she wrote, produced, and performed it, it is still crappy top 40 music.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

damkira said:

You realize that the Pop chart has only been in existence for a few years while the larger billboard hot 100 is the US chart that is THE most popular singles in the country. Number one is 'Fireflies' by Owl City. Lady Gaga has only had two #1s on the billboard hot 100. Paparazzi is #6 this week.

that is last week, the pop chart is radio plays, the most spinned (played) song in the U.S, the billboard hot 100 is the average of plays, sales, and video popularity from EVERY chart in the U.S:

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/insideradio/charts.asp?format=1&showyear=y&dpt=n

mM

Britney has written (or co-wrote) and acted as producer on several of her songs. She does not have everything manufactured for her. She also has an excellent natural voice.

Also, yes it does suck that society seems to frown on guys liking pop songs and it does suck how artificial all artists are becoming and who true talent seems to be near extinct. You just have to deal with it.

Anywho, well done Lady Gaga. She actually wrote a song for Britney's last album and is a Britney fan.

Now, can anyone tell me: Why does the USA have several different charts when virtually every other country just has one? It seems rather unnecessary. Would one chart be insufficient?

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
To be fair,

Lady Gaga has a pretty good natural voice. She showed it off on SNL last night on a re-run. It was kind of surprising, given her penchant for craptastic poppy music.

However,

Her music - the stuff that has been heralded on the Top 40 - is utter crap. I don't care if she wrote, produced, and performed it, it is still crappy top 40 music.

I have to say I agree with you, if you listen to stefani germanotta (lady gaga) before she wrote "THE FAME" you would be shocked, its a completely different style here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiOForgtJQQ

there is an amazingly addictive tone to pokerface though, same with paparazzi and just dance, but the poppy versions are absolute crap compared to THE SAME SONG sung acousticly, example would be this (OFCOURSE COMPLETELY LIVE squirrel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tak27FSDte4&feature=related

its like if you listen to the pop version of the same song you ask yourself, "WHAT THE HELL?" its a shocker im sure, in the acoustic version the lyrics make sense, the same goes with eh eh.

@DSLOVER

Yes she wrote this song for britney spears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raNfg1i0rMk

mM
DSLover said:
Britney has written (or co-wrote) and acted as producer on several of her songs. She does not have everything manufactured for her. She also has an excellent natural voice.

Also, yes it does suck that society seems to frown on guys liking pop songs and it does suck how artificial all artists are becoming and who true talent seems to be near extinct. You just have to deal with it.

Anywho, well done Lady Gaga. She actually wrote a song for Britney's last album and is a Britney fan.

Now, can anyone tell me: Why does the USA have several different charts when virtually every other country just has one? It seems rather unnecessary. Would one chart be insufficient?

So does katy perry, but it depends on how they use it, and they use it horribly, which is why we got horrible vocals from them.

mM

Thanks for the agreement, Leo-J.

My problem is that a lot of artists - very talented ones - decide to go the pop-trash route for making a quick buck. As a musician myself (written a few songs, ect), I have a major distaste for those that make songs to sound popular, rather than BE popular by the merit of their quality.

A good example would be Gwen Stefani of No Doubt.

During her tenure in No Doubt, she was a fantastic singer backed by a very talented group in Tony Kandal, Adrian Young and Tom Dumont. All 3 are great musicians in their own right.

They produced Tragic Kingdom and Return of Saturn - 2 of the best front-to-back albums ever created. TK was a certified Diamond seller - one of the best of the entire decade. It exuded ska-punk and new wave sensibilities.

Yet when they went to more processed music with Hey Baby, and Gwen's solo career I lost all respect for them. I think the merit of a group is a sum of the parts. Sure, the Patriots have Brady, but if it wasn't for their front line, Moss, or Belicheck, they wouldn't be who they are. Likewise, when No Dobut relied on catchy hooks designed for teens, I stopped caring for quite some time.

And that's the problem with the music industry. They forget that the most popular bands of all time were also some of the most talented, well-respected musicians of all time. Thriller was an album made by a man in his prime who not only wrote and sang the songs, but also composed some of the music too.

And that's why I hate Lady Gaga. If she went back to her roots - she would be more popular than flavor of the month. No major act really wins it on flavor of the month hooks, because they are a dime a dozen.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

You the man Stickball!

The sad thing is that we'll likely never see another artist ever again that is on the level of The Beatles, Elvis, or Michael Jackson. While movies continue to raise the bar in profits and videogames are breaking new records all the time, it looks like music's best days are past it. And it depresses the shit out of me.

If she's so rich and successful why doesn't she go out and buy a pair of pants?