By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Feature Wishlist

Munkeh111 said:
Uncharted 3... that will do me!

No, Uncharted 3 will release on PS3 in 2011, followed by Uncharted: Half Tuck Racing in 2012, then somebody else will make Uncharted: The Blah of Whatever on PSP, and Uncharted 4 will release on PS4 around 2015.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Simulacrum said:
1:PS1-PS4 games.
2:No price cuts needed.
3:Better controller.
4:Something from future.

#4: <- Flux Capacitor built in to PS4 confirmed!

#3: Better controller?  I don't think they can improve on DualShock 3.  What do you think they can improve on DS3?

#2: I missed that one, price point should not be more than $299.  That seems to be the sweet G-spot for consoles.

no $799 BS (crazy ken....)
and thats it xD

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

BC with PS3
and enhancing performance of those games simultaneously, not sure if that's possible though

- 1080p resolution as standard
- 3DTV support standard
- 9.2 channel surround sound support
- 1TB of data storage (upgradable)
- Better quality controllers

And...

- a 3D capable PSEye

Around the Network
code.samurai said:
Porcupine_I said:
I say BC could (or should) be optional, like a expansion Slot/Cardrige solution!

That way, the PS4 can be manufactured cheaper without eliminating the possibility of BC

I say BC should be a requirement.  For PS3, Sony removed BC because lower res upscaled to HD are just not up to the snuff.  I know because mine has BC and it's kind of painful to play through PS2 games.

With PS4, there shouldn't be problems with graphics because PS3 is already HD.  The only problem would be if they changed architecture and moved away from the cell processor.  In which case a cartridge add-on would not work, imagine putting teh c311 into a cartridge...  Not a very feasible solution.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that Sony removed PS2 BC (and renegged on a core promise to their fan base to $AVE MONEY).  Let's not go making them sound like the wise, generous rulers doing only what is best for the fans.

My PS3 has full BC and it looks just fine on my TV.  It is not at all "painful".  I just finished playing GoW2 and it was far from painful, it was glorious. 

OT, I think all of the things listed here so far would be great, but you will never get ALL of these things with a 299 or 399 price point.  Personally, I would rather see more features and a 399 price point.

the current PS3 can already read multilayer 400gbs Blu-ray.And pioneer's 1TB multilayer blurays are also readable on PS3.

code.samurai said:

This thread got me thinking about the features I would want in the PS4 and here are my feature wishlist.

1. Complete BC with PS3.  This is the most important feature for me and for most of PS fans.  I want to play Uncharted 1-4 10 years from now.  That would be a fun marathon.

2. Peripheral compatibility with DualShock3 and other PS3 compatibility.  While this is not really that big of a deal, me and a lot of current PS3 owners will be thankful to sony if we don't have to buy another set of controller peripherals just for PS4.  It's bluetooth, what the hell else can they improve on it? 

3. A more reliable WiFi.  The current wifi support of PS3 is crummy, configuration is kinda hinky too.  There is a lot to improve in this area and this will save a lot of customers from being frustrated with Online games.

4. Much bigger RAM size.  I think the current RAM specs of PS3 is limiting for developers, expanding it to a significantly larger size would improve game quality.

5. Support for Multilayer BluRay (250GB?) and Faster Disc Read Speed.  Duh.

6. Next-Next Gen GPU.  Or Next-Next-Next-Gen, if that's possible.  The farther away from current PC technology, the better.  We'd have native 1080p and support for the next HDMI standard.

7. Launch Price Should be $299. (or similar price taking into account inflation)  This seems to be the sweet spot for consoles.  Sony should not take cue from mobile devices, that's a different market altogether, consoles are different.  If Sony launches at this price, PS4 will sure to be the reincarnation of PS2.

With those features in PS4, I would welcome the transition if it were 2011 but I highly doubt it.  The re-engineering cost for PS3 slim still hasn't been that profitable yet.  

Think about it, all you have to do is buy a console and all the stuff you bought for PS3 will still work.  You'd have a next-gen console and still be able to play PS3 games just like before.  That wouldn't be too bad, don't you think?

1. Considering to emulate it takes aprox 10x the power, 1 is not happening. Unless of course PS4 would be using cell architexture which is extremely likely, then it would be easy.

2. You know PS2 controllers, guitar hero controlls etc from PS2 work? Hell any keyboard works, so does mice etc.

3. WiFi is fine, the problem with it is not letting us store, it's annoying reputting in wifi going to friends house etc.

4. Nope, twice the ram would be more then enough.

5. It already is, it can support quad layers now, and once 8 layers are public and being used all it requires in a firmware update. In fact it can support up to 32 layers. TIhough a 2x read speed(Same as a 9x DVD read speed) is a joke to say the least for 1080 content.

6. There is no such thing as a next-next gen GPU or next gen GPU. Once the GPU is made, it's current gen. Once the architexture exists, it's already surpased.

7. Not going to happen, think 400. Depending on launch, if it's in 2015 probably 400.

Next PS is likely going to use same architexture. The next CELL being used in blade servers has 2 main cores and 14 SPEs, both are also clocked slightly higher then CELL in PS3, so expect 14 SPE 2 main core processor, with higher clock speeds and more refined, also devs being more familiar with it. It will have 512 XDR memory, or possibly 1024, but no more then 512 GDDR5 memory. Memory is not crucial as it is in PCs. It'll be smaller and still use blu-ray.

Pretty much exactly what you said.

A strong launch lineup and $299 price will get Sony to first place very quickly.

I'll do a signature later

But the ps3 already does everything!