By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Does anyone think that people are making a big deal out of H1N1?

It is a major concern, but I agree. It has been blown out of proportion.

Around the Network

H1N1 sells newspapers, that's why it is so prominent right now. It's nothing to worry about, people make too much fuss about it. As long as you're healthy and have a good respiratory system then don't worry about it.

The people who get paranoid are just foolish and buying into the hype. Don't worry about it, it just takes their mind off other things.

no-one in my town cares cause we're all miserable, we welcome H1N1

H1N1 is a rather common Flu virus strain that have been blown out of proportion by media hype as another reason for people to buy newspapers, watch news programs and so on. Every year flu kills 500,000 people and nobody really talks about it. Hell, kids die due to diarrhea and nobody freaks out due to it.

I had H1N1 flu and it was like common flu, but weaker, even if side effects lasted longer after I healed from the infection. H1N1 panic is as irrational as it goes, but a good sociologist/neurologist will tell you that such concerns are common in the average people. Humanity simply can't sit down and accept things are just as normal and average as it goes. There should be always a doomsday coming, a disease spreading, climate going crazy even if it isn't, and so on.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Boutros said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
It's a virus strain that is killing more people every month.

I'm fine with them riding the story to death because the alternative is less coverage which leaves more people ignorant about it and means fewer will take the proper precautions for themselves and their children.

I think a lot of the people who are saying there's too much coverage are the people in their teens or 20s who feel somewhat invincible and don't have children. A child's immune system isn't as strong as an adult's and they're at risk from viruses like this far more because of it. Something that you could shake off with a couple days in bed can be fatal to them.

If you're a parent then you damn well want to know when something is dangerous to your child and how to prevent it.

One person died of the virus here. 1 out of 7 millions...and she was 87 years old!

So your point is that because only one person has died where you live that everyone is safe and that no one should care or what?

As of today, 1,463 people have died of it in the US.  There were 210 fatalities in just this past week.

People die of the flu every year. This year, they decided to add a name to one of them and now everybody thinks that it's a lot more deadly while it's not as much as the media is making it sound. You have 0,02% chance of dying...now come on.

I don't know if you remember that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avian_influenza

The media did exacly the same thing and nothing happenned. 262 people died in the world...the normal flu kills more people than that every year.

The media simply have nothing else to talk about and they know it's good for them to talk and be sensational and dramatic about those kinds of things. More people are buying journals and more people are watching TV because of it. I'm disgusted at how they try to manipulate the population by doing so.

Around the Network

@Boutros. The WHO very rarely declares anything to be a pandemic - this is a pandemic. It isn't the media hyping this up, it's the health establishment going 'this could be bad guys'. Just like the avian flu could have been bad (and still actually could be bad). Just like the Spanish flu was bad.

Not everything in the world is created by a bored media.

What school do you go to in toronto?

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Rath said:
@Boutros. The WHO very rarely declares anything to be a pandemic - this is a pandemic. It isn't the media hyping this up, it's the health establishment going 'this could be bad guys'. Just like the avian flu could have been bad (and still actually could be bad). Just like the Spanish flu was bad.

Not everything in the world is created by a bored media.

It is still highly exagerated. The media are overhyping it. It's crazy. They talk about it for hours every day on TV while people really don't care to know why this damn celebrity that every old lady love got a vaccination. You can believe whatever you want but I know I don't get impressed by those kinds of things. I find it hard to trust media these days.

Lol you guys should see the chaos in Toronto for a vaccination.

On my way to get a heart test, I saw over 1000 people line up for a needle and more than half were told to leave because they ran short of supply. Arguments broke out and I even heard some people claim "they were going to die" LOL.

CaptainPrefrences said:
Lol you guys should see the chaos in Toronto for a vaccination.

On my way to get a heart test, I saw over 1000 people line up for a needle and more than half were told to leave because they ran short of supply. Arguments broke out and I even heard some people claim "they were going to die" LOL.

When is the normal population supposed to get a vaccination in Toronto?

Because here in Quebec it goes up to november 30th. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.