By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Rules About Calling Things "Exclusive"

I agree with the definitions.

Doubt it'll stop the arguing.

Seems a little to rough to ban someone for stating L4D2 is 360 exclusive - even if they are technically wrong, as anyone sensible should realize they mean 'console' exclusive.

Still, this whole area does cause way too much bickering, so I guess it's best to try and rein it in.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

My take. This isn't unfair to the Xbox, but it's obviously aimed at 360 fanboys and their loose generalizations.

However, again, this is all spurned from an original argument from this generation, that a console is better based upon its exclusives.

The truth is, a console's quality isn't based upon its exclusives, but it's library.

The 360 doesn't have a ton of great pure exclusives, however, it does have nearly every multiplat the PC has, as well as nearly every multiplat the PS3 has, while the PC and the PS3 don't share nearly as many of the same multiplats. While it may be possible to enjoy the most exclusive games on the PS3, that certainly doesn't mean or imply that it is possible to enjoy the best library on the console.

Therefore, if your logic isn't simplistic, and if you actually think about it, buzzwords like "exclusive" mean nothing, compared to meaningful buzzwords like "library."

Also, FYI, Half-Life is no longer a PC exclusive on VGChartz, because it was released on PS2.

Woot! Best FPS of all time is no longer a PC game, and indeed, the best exclusive FPS of all time is now on the N64, cause it ain't Half-Life, that's a multiplat.

I'm very happy with this decision. PC fans are in fo some sho-nuff pwnage. I've just STARTED to play with the implications of this move.

Killzone 2 was only released on the n64 ? I had no idea. I could'a sworn I had a ps3 version somewhere.

Check out my game about moles ^

kowenicki said:
@staude

no... silly. He said BEST FPS of all time...

correction. He said BEST EXCLUSIVE FPS of all time. :)

Is there any leniency for honest mistakes? I mean I know I'm gonna mess up eventually but not on purpose. I don't really want to do 5 minutes of internet research to find out if a games on PC as well before posting it as 360 exclusive.

Yes, I'll try and be lenient about honest mistakes, and if you are posting about an exclusive and are corrected that it's not then edit your topic/post to be correct you will not be moderated, but if you are constantly "accidentally" mis-listing things it will of course be assumed intentional.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
@stuade

so still not killzone2 then... :)

nope, i'm pretty sure it is.

Very harsh rule but you are one of the big boss guys around here so we must follow. This new rule could scare some of the 360 fans away from the site.

Darn, just when I was about to revive my "PC is not a console" thread and then create a new thread about exclusives. Well, I thank you for saving me the trouble. Now there should be much less arguing about what constitutes as an exclusive around here. It's nice to see this solidified by the mod staff.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

numonex said:
Very harsh rule but you are one of the big boss guys around here so we must follow. This new rule could scare some of the 360 fans away from the site.

Actually my main intent with this was targeted at the 360, but not in the way you think. It was to allow legitimate 360 fans to make things like "Upcoming games" or "upcoming exclusives" lists and through following this rule and properly labeling the games actually allow 360 fans to legitimately discuss their games without a wave of PC fans coming in to argue about the term exclusive, thus completely degrading the thread into an argument that has nothing to do with the topic.

Kowenecki, your argument would be good, but Microsoft actually removed the "Only on Xbox 360" label from all new Mass Effect and Gears of War boxes.

Sorry but there isn't a legitimate defintion for using the word "exclusive" without a modifier if the game is on more than one platform, and Microsoft knows this just as well as I do. I would even say the removal of the word "exclusive" is in fact to avoid lawsuits despite you meaning it sarcastically. That's considered false advertising.